Big Score at the Antique Store!

woody420

Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm II -Prizm 6T
My Wife, Son, and I took a trip out to the northfork of Long Island today. We like to "get out to the country" and visit some antique stores and buy some local produce. Of course being a coin guy I always ask if they have any coins in every store. Well, today the first store we stopped at said "yes". The store owner came out of the back with two rolls of nickels. I looked at one side of one of the rolls and saw that is was a war nickel. So I asked him how much for both rolls and he answered $10. I said deal and left with the 2 rolls. Got in the car and opened them up right away. Well total there were 17 war nickels...all 1944 P! The rest were half 1939's and the other half either 38's,40's,41's. Lots of S mintmarks also. Plus a few sweet looking younger ones. Well that was good enough for me. But the fun doesn't end there. When I got home I inspected the 1939's with my loop to see if maybe I got the elusive "doubled Monticello/Five Cents". Couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted one in the mix!!! Listed in the Redbook at $75 in VF-20 condition. I've looked at over 100 1939's that I've collected over the years and never thought I'd find one. Glad I stopped at that store!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

DSC04969.jpg

DSC04970.jpg

39error.jpg

Upvote 0

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow cool find! Thanks for sharing. :)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score :icon_thumleft: you got to love the Northfork for old coins :laughing7: where abouts on the fork ? Dd60

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Nice find on that doubled die nickel! SCORE!!!!

The best thing I've ever cherrypicked at an antique shop was a 1908-S Indian Head cent for $1.00 a few years ago!! They have a big pile of Indian Head cents for only $1 each (a good deal) and I started looking through them for different dates and found a 1908-S!! SWEET!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread