Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, 1876 KING RAMA V Coin, 1845 Large Cent, & more

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, 1876 KING RAMA V Coin, 1845 Large Cent, & more

Hey Y'all. Here's my latest finds from the last two digs at a couple of my colonial/civil war sites. I dug my first Maine Staff in all my years of digging! This is a VERY HARD Civil War button to find as there weren't very many soldiers from Maine who fought in the Civil War in relation to other states (because it was sparsely populated at the time). In all my years digging for Civil War relics I've never seen one dug and only heard about one. Also, I pulled 4 coppers out of the ground this past week (including the V.H.P) one of which is a mystery copper. Its larger than a Large Cent and looks like it is probably an 1800s Copper but I haven't I.D.ed yet. Also got a very nice Bone Handled Civil war era pocket knife and 2 Ringer Bullet.. Here's the pics.

*Maine Staff Coat Button
*1845 Large Cent
*1852 Large Cent
*1876 King Rama the Fifth of Thailand Copper Att Coin
*3 General Service Eagle Buttons
*1 H.N.I But. (Hampton Normal Institute--where they sent the Indians from the Plains to become "Civilized")
*1 Very Large Underwear/pants button
*1 Civil War Era Bone Handled Knife
*3 Ringers, (hard to find) 2 Ring-Burnside and Colt
*Kepi Buckle, Sling Buckle and Harmonica Reeds
*Silver Dime, Nickel, and Sterling Cuff Link

Maine Staff Button (Before Cleaning)
MD Pics 370.jpg

Maine Staff Button (After Cleaning)
MD Pics 398.jpg
MD Pics 381.jpg

New York Muffin Button (Before Cleaning)
MD Pics 458.jpg

New York Muffin Button (After Cleaning...Made into Poker Chip)
MD Pics 466.jpg

H.N.I. Button (Hampton Normal Institute School for Native American Children during the Indian Wars)

MD Pics 390.jpg

Thailand. Rama V (1868-1910). Copper 4 Att (1/16 Baht) issued in 1876
Website to view: http://thaicoin-homevason99.com/rama_thai.html

MD Pics 340.jpg

MD Pics 342.jpg

1845 Braided Hair Large Cent
MD Pics 457.jpg

MD Pics 455.jpg

1852 Braided Hair Large Cent
MD Pics 402.jpg

Group Shot
MD Pics 463.jpg

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, 1852, Large Cent..

:headbang:

Great finds Sentinel :notworthy: don't know much about the importance of your finds :P but it looks like you have a site that's seen lots of occupation :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, 1852, Large Cent..

Silver Searcher said:
:headbang:

Great finds Sentinel :notworthy: don't know much about the importance of your finds :P but it looks like you have a site that's seen lots of occupation :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks Colin :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :wink:, this button is very very hard to find and you'll see that the other Civil War relic hunters will say the same. There's never been a Civil War Maine posted on TreasureNet since I've been a member, and I've been on here since the beginning just about.

ducktrapper

Nov 24, 2009
NW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 with 10" coil, Garrett Pro-pointer.

Rare or not, I'd still love to find one. The boys from Maine played an immensely important role at Gettysburg., Finding such a button, holding it in my hands, and thinking that this could have been from someone on the way there (or on the way back) would about bring me to my knees!

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:hello2: :hello2:

Nice finds !!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Yep.. rare or scarce by almost any standard... and 70,000 troops does not mean there were 70,000 troops wearing Maine uniforms since most wore Union issued equipment.. it's all relative. Negative.. it's right up there with stealing someone else's post with the "..I remember the day I dug 20 of those.." it's all good!! ;-) I prefer to view each post in the context of when they were posted where they were dug and when they were dug, most of use who have been digging 10 or 20 years have those "..I remember when" days.. that is what makes it a great hobby. I'm not trying to start a flame war.. just putting it in context.. not everyone on here can go out and dug a handful of ultra rare relics every time they go out ;D .. expect it seems sentinel is these days!!!"

Thanks MonkeyBoy for backing me up on this. You are a Civil War Relic hunter (and a very good one) just as me and others not from this area don't know how hard it is to find a button like that and glad to see someone else who knows how hard it is to dig one, back me up :icon_thumleft: :wink:

P.S. I've been lucky this past couple months but shoot, I've seen you boys up there in Northern VA. go through 5 or 10 plates in a month at certain times...you know how it is with hot and cold streaks. I've seen you on some pretty BIG HOT Streaks in the past

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

In 15 years of CW relic hunting, I have personally met, hunted with, or communicated with many good relic hunters Josh. I do not know any who have dug a CW period Maine button. You have recovered another rare BANNER find and I will nominate it as such. WTG my friend, Quindy.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o

Forgot to say that's a Great cleaning job on that Super Rare Button :notworthy:

SS

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

Great finds. I've never found a Maine button.

DM

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

Forgot to say that's a Great cleaning job on that Super Rare Button :notworthy:

SS

Thanks Colin :wink: :icon_thumleft:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that button got better looking since the first time you showed me a picture of it. :thumbsup: Probably a 20th of Maine regiment button. Great find Josh its on top of my list. :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Re: Rare MAINE STAFF COAT BUTTON, HINDU COPPER?, 1845 Large Cent, 1852, Large Ce

Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
{Sentinel} said:
Iron Patch said:
About 70,000 soldiers and sailers from Maine... compare that with some Rev units that only numbered in the hundreds. But there should be some Rev stuff at your sites too.

Didn't we see most of this on another post? :icon_scratch:

No, we aren't talking Rev War IP, we are talking Civil War buddy :icon_thumleft: :wink: and no, this hasn't been on another post

I wasn't talking Rev War either, I was hinting that your button isn't rare. :wink:

So most of the finds including that strange coin for ID was not posted on another thread? I guess I must have been seeing things. :wink:

You can ask ANY Civil War Relic hunter and they will tell you that this is a VERY Rare button to dig. P.S. If you can't post anything positive, I'd just as soon you not post ANYTHING on my post :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Yep.. rare or scarce by almost any standard... and 70,000 troops does not mean there were 70,000 troops wearing Maine uniforms since most wore Union issued equipment.. it's all relative. Negative.. it's right up there with stealing someone else's post with the "..I remember the day I dug 20 of those.." it's all good!! ;-) I prefer to view each post in the context of when they were posted where they were dug and when they were dug, most of use who have been digging 10 or 20 years have those "..I remember when" days.. that is what makes it a great hobby. I'm not trying to start a flame war.. just putting it in context.. not everyone on here can go out and dug a handful of ultra rare relics every time they go out ;D .. expect it seems sentinel is these days!!! ;-)

Didn't say there was 70,000 wearing Maine Uniforms.... was only making a comment to this... "there weren't very many soldiers from Maine who fought in the Civil War in relation to the other states" What's wrong with adding historical data to a post? I don't see it being the same as someone saying they found 20 of these.... but if they did, so what?

Nor did I say you did.. in reference to the Maine uniforms. My point being the actual number of CW era Maine buttons that saw service, the point stands. 70,000 out of ~2.5M is a lower percentage... and yes.. I know you don't see it the same as when people respond with how many they found of something in another person post.. ahh.. that was kind of my point! "Rare" isn't always what the population reports state, it is the cold hard reality of what is produced in the field... and a Maine button is getting up there.. more so these days and that much more in a rapidly developing areas like what we have in Virginia. So "rare" button as in a Jeb Stuart "rare" button no... "rare button" as in not many of them dug.. yes.

Maybe this is all not so much semantics as it is.. well.. attitude?? IMHO "If you don't have anything nice to post, don't post anything at all" ;D

Mb

Mb

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:read2:

Well judging by the replies on this one :o I voting BANNER, it seems tro me that this is a very Rare find, and surely belongs up top :notworthy:

SS

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only one I have ever scene posted on T-net Silver Searcher. :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

{Sentinel} said:
"Yep.. rare or scarce by almost any standard... and 70,000 troops does not mean there were 70,000 troops wearing Maine uniforms since most wore Union issued equipment.. it's all relative. Negative.. it's right up there with stealing someone else's post with the "..I remember the day I dug 20 of those.." it's all good!! ;-) I prefer to view each post in the context of when they were posted where they were dug and when they were dug, most of use who have been digging 10 or 20 years have those "..I remember when" days.. that is what makes it a great hobby. I'm not trying to start a flame war.. just putting it in context.. not everyone on here can go out and dug a handful of ultra rare relics every time they go out ;D .. expect it seems sentinel is these days!!!"

Thanks MonkeyBoy for backing me up on this. You are a Civil War Relic hunter (and a very good one) just as me and others not from this area don't know how hard it is to find a button like that and glad to see someone else who knows how hard it is to dig one, back me up :icon_thumleft: :wink:

P.S. I've been lucky this past couple months but shoot, I've seen you boys up there in Northern VA. go through 5 or 10 plates in a month at certain times...you know how it is with hot and cold streaks. I've seen you on some pretty BIG HOT Streaks in the past

Thanks!!! ;-) I hear you on the hot and cold.. started off great this year and plummeted fast! Keep posting the great digs!!!

MB

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mainer said:
Then it must be a no brainer :o :headbang: :notworthy:

SS

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:

SS

I got to give it a vote, but I may be a little partial being from Maine and all. ;D :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful button great find :icon_thumleft: i like all those relics and coins i don't the rarity of that button but if it mine ides be happy as a pig in s*#t :laughing7: :thumbsup: Dd60

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,226

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mainer said:
Silver Searcher said:
mainer said:

SS

I got to give it a vote, but I may be a little partial being from Maine and all. ;D :thumbsup:
Ahh yes, perhaps he may give it to you :laughing9:

SS

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro

you got some nice finds congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread