1921 SLQ - key date

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Was looking for colonial stuff but not arguing with this baby at all (most valuable find to date). Didn't even know this was a key date until after I got home. Glad I didn't clean it there--though I really wanted to see the date--i could see it had a date and was in good shape. Might only be my 2nd SLQ--I forget and would have to pull my silver from the safety deposit box to find out. Ran it under running water after I got home. Sorry the pics aren't better but it's with a flash. Will try to get better pics tomorrow in daylight.

Attachments

• 1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,967
  • 1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,918
Upvote 0

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come the U's look like V's? ???

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kachinggggggyyyyyy!!!! Nice find man.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why pay for an "opinion" you just got 20 or so for free, and they are all in the same range of XF. People who buy coins of that caliber don't need a third party opinion. That's just my opinion. I don't buy holders, I buy coins.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
BlackX said:
Thank you, folks, for the comments and the banner votes! (I'm quite happy to be able to search the archives now. :D )

I'll likely keep it, as I do all my finds so far, intending to leave them for my kids, but being out of work this may end up going at some point. We'll see on that part. As for getting it slabbed, I would actually like to in this case but I've seen or heard of so many coins getting marked "cleaned" even when they were also only run under tap water that I'm a bit leery of doing so. Under a 10x loupe I can't see any hairline scratches but who knows how those folks decide to mark things "cleaned". I suppose I could take it to a coin dealer and ask but the only one I'm familiar with I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion. Guess I should probably pull it out of the SD box--where it will be residing--and see what some dealers think at the next Bay State Coin Show. Any other thoughts in that direction regarding getting it slabbed?

Thanks again!
_Rich_
Cheaper than getting it slabbed is first taking it to several dealers to get their opinion of grade. I'd do that first. Write down the names of the dealers and what they grade it as. You can always quote them on Ebay.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner :icon_thumleft: i would say that coin is AU55 outstanding find .Dd60

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful details! Congrats! Breezie

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
BlackX said:
Thank you, folks, for the comments and the banner votes! (I'm quite happy to be able to search the archives now. :D )

I'll likely keep it, as I do all my finds so far, intending to leave them for my kids, but being out of work this may end up going at some point. We'll see on that part. As for getting it slabbed, I would actually like to in this case but I've seen or heard of so many coins getting marked "cleaned" even when they were also only run under tap water that I'm a bit leery of doing so. Under a 10x loupe I can't see any hairline scratches but who knows how those folks decide to mark things "cleaned". I suppose I could take it to a coin dealer and ask but the only one I'm familiar with I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion. Guess I should probably pull it out of the SD box--where it will be residing--and see what some dealers think at the next Bay State Coin Show. Any other thoughts in that direction regarding getting it slabbed?

Thanks again!
_Rich_
I can understand your situation. Unless you really think you're going to sell it, then no need to have it slabbed...why spend good money? You could sell it on eBay and get your money, and probably net more than if you slabbed it first. Honestly, if you could avoid selling it altogether, then I would avoid it.

Good luck on what ever decision you make!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry i was just not myself this morning its Monday again, i thought to post this as a banner find and i get home tonight and take care of everything i needed to and loge in and find i didn't vote banner!!! congrats on it that is a great find HH Chug and Red!!! I have never found one but that is the most detail one one that i have seen before!!!

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Indianhead Jones said:
I too, was lucky enough to find a 1921, deep in a forest, in the middle of nowhere! It wasn't in the condition yours is in, but it had a readable date! You can see it in the picture under my username.

While using my newfound search ability, ran into your old post and then noticed you're from MA as well. Still learning the search options but haven't run into any other found '21 SLQs yet. Cool that both were found in MA! (Give me a buzz if you ever want to hit any sites--I'm not too far away.)

_Rich_

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the very nice piece of silver. :icon_thumright:

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Hard to find SLQ's in coin shops in that condition, let alone digging one out of the ground. And a key date to boot. Awesome find!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding and Banner! . but this is not a coin, is a jewel!
greetings.

Attachments

• HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,240
  • HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,248

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug a few in the years I have been hunting but never ever in this kind of condition.
Not only a key date but one in beautiful condition as well..
Congratulations !! Your a WINNER !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread