1921 SLQ - key date

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Was looking for colonial stuff but not arguing with this baby at all (most valuable find to date). Didn't even know this was a key date until after I got home. Glad I didn't clean it there--though I really wanted to see the date--i could see it had a date and was in good shape. Might only be my 2nd SLQ--I forget and would have to pull my silver from the safety deposit box to find out. Ran it under running water after I got home. Sorry the pics aren't better but it's with a flash. Will try to get better pics tomorrow in daylight.

Attachments

• 1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,967
  • 1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,918
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good pic to me great find!! HH (Chug) and Red

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Thanks.

BTW, any folks who want to take a shot at the grading, please do so! I'm seeing a discrepancy from my books and the service-graded coins on eBay.

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Also, I'm curious how often these have been found. Anyone with full access feel like searching for me? :)

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
BlackX said:
Thanks.

BTW, any folks who want to take a shot at the grading, please do so! I'm seeing a discrepancy from my books and the service-graded coins on eBay.
Don't always trust ebay coins even if they are "service-graded ", cause I have seen on auctions sites that sell the actual coin sealers empty so you can self grade an make it look like it was graded by a pro service... Btw according to the tips in the 2010 redbook the grade would probly be Extra Fine

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Great looking coin, im still waiting to dig my first SLQ. Happy Dirt Fishing!

-Dan

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
EF-35 maybe 40, my opinion, nice strike on that full head is really important. Still a damn nice coin

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful coin !!! I would venture a grade of - better than VF-20 and a touch under XF.
which per 2009 redbook has your retail value at $450. - to $600. Great find ! Argentium.

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
very nice nice nice find shap is excellent possible 600.00 plus dollar coin by red book at lest 175.00 but i think higher congrats

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet SLQ, BlackX. if your'e gonna dig some 20th century silver on a colonial hunt, that's a pretty good one to dig. congrats!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one nice-looking SLQ.....and a great date to find. XF sounds right to me. Not much wear on that one.
WTG!!! :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
In James F. Ruddy's Photograde, there are separate criteria for grading different dates of SLQ's. Written criteria for EF-40 are:
"Obverse: Liberty's right knee and the tip of breast will show slight wear.
Reverse: All the feathers will show but will be worn on the high spots."

Details of head, shield, and primary feathers of eagle's left wing reverse suggest this might grade EF-45 or higher. At this level of quality, probably best to have PCGS grade and authenticate it in order to get maximum resale value. ANACS would be my second grading choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread