Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1877 IH !!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Minelab E-Trac
    689 times
    Banner Finds (1)

1877 IH !!!!

Finally, I find a key date coin!

Rewind two days ago and I am returning home from detecting a public park nearby when I bump into a nice gentleman with his wife and three kids out for a stroll. It just so happened that we bumped into each other in front of a churchyard that I had my intention of detecting for some time now. Anyway, this gentleman turns out to be the pastor of the church and grants me permission to detect it all I want. I detected part of the front yard of the church and found a couple wheats and some clad. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a nail, pull tab or anything else that is not a coin. After about an hour I returned home.

After work today, I decided to risk the sweltering heat, geared up some water bottles and headed out. I began detecting the shaded regions of the churchyard around some of the older trees and plants and immediately started finding wheats. I have still yet to find any silver however the existence of wheats increases my chances I think.

The second the last target of the day was reading as a penny/dime at four inches. For those with the ACE 250, I have noticed that a memorial penny will "ding ding" at me while a wheat normally will bounce back with a single bell tone. I have found very few IH pennies so I was not sure whether they responded as if they were memorials. This IH sounded like a wheat so I dug!

Much to my amazement, out pops this beauty. HOLY COW!

I'm still in shock and im search of a stiff drink.

HH

-Hunter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1877Front.JPG 
Views:	3478 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	421900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1877Back.JPG 
Views:	3451 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	421901  

Nov 2007
    435 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: 1877 IH !!!!

thats crazy...how you clean it?
    thrifty76now likes this.

us
    May 2010
    Claremore OK
    White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
    159 times

Absolutley beautiful 1877... $400 dollar plus penny what a find.
    God Bless...

Jun 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Minelab E-Trac
    689 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The coin had a little bit of impacted dirt on the observe especially. In order to remove the dirt, I first washed my hands thoroughly when I got back home. I then prepared a plastic bowl with soap water. I like to use some dish soap personally. I then have a second plastic bowl with distilled or boiled water. This way if your tap water has minerals in it, you decrease the risk of having small deposits on your coin. After washing my hands again in distilled water, I proceeded to take the coin and gently rub the front and back simultaneously to push the dirt of the edge and off the coin. I also have an old electric toothbrush head with ultrasoft brush bristles that I put on the lowest possible setting to lift off some other corrosives on most coins. I did not however use that on this IH. I will admit that it helped that this coin appears to have been dropped before it could have been circulated much and I think partially that it was somewhat sheltered under a large root of a nearby tree, not sure of that shielded it from the elements per se, but man what a beauty.

Hope this helps!
    ACE 250

us
    Jun 2004
    Cleburne, TX.
    Bounty Hunter 505
    16 times

I'll vote banner on it! What a beauty!
    Chief Wiggum: This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Feb 2007
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Whites V3 and XLT
    802 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Now THAT'S a coin!!. . . awesome recovery and a beauty to boot

You got my vote!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i, MX Sport, Dual Field PI, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    618 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I have never dug a small cent that did not have some type of discoloration .

Nice one.

us
    Apr 2007
    Southwestern, MN
    Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
    6 times

Holy Crap!! That Looks Nice!!!
    BANNER!!!!!!

Oct 2006
    North Central Oklahoma
    CTX 3030, Etrac, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
    5 times

Wow, I 2nd, 3rd or 4th that..banner!
    [size=14pt]Numismatic Archaeologist[br]Oklahoma Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting Club[/size]

Jun 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Minelab E-Trac
    689 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Neil,

I'm with you on this. The fact that I found it at around 3.5 to 4 inches while digging wheats and memorials at lower depths coupled with the fact that I found it by a low limbed old tree that is perfect for climbing makes me think that someone went rooting through dad's collection and then dropped it while using the tree as a jungle gym. Like I said it had some impacted dirt on the back that you see with most coins that have been in the ground a period of time but otherwise it had very few imperfections. I liken it to the stories of that now exotic car that the farmer kept in the barn for awhile that becomes valuable and then is discovered. I was sure it was just another memorial when it come out without the dirt on it that most others head. I did more than one double take after seeing the headdress.
    ACE 250

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4588 times

Wow , You might attend that church next sunday , and put a generous offering in the plate . My
    2009 Redbook lists the 1877 IH - at $2000. bucks in VF - Very nice indeed ! Argentium.

Jun 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Minelab E-Trac
    689 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Argentium,

You read my mind! I spoke to the pastor the first time we met about that very prospect. I will be front and center come Sunday.
    ACE 250

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 4.1 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    5334 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

This is one of the cleanest and best detailed that I've seen in a long time!
    Loved the story about the find as well, made me feel like I was there with you.
    Congratulations Hunter!
    My vote for Banner is in!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    59 times

Quote Originally Posted by Wldbil
    Absolutley beautiful 1877... $400 dollar plus penny what a find.
    Don't know how old your price guide is but that is a 900.00 coin in G-4 an this looks to be atleast XF-40 booking at 2500.00 in the 2010 redbook

Note: I came in an added my prices are from the 2010 Redbook
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
    2272 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

that indian is amazing, looks like it was never in the ground. I have dug 42 indians this year alone and every single one came out of the ground green. Last season i dug 57 indians, and every last one was green. Are my eyes failing me? That coin looks brown like it was not in the ground at all?

simply amazing for a coin being buried 100+ yrs.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links