1877 IH !!!!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Finally, I find a key date coin!

Rewind two days ago and I am returning home from detecting a public park nearby when I bump into a nice gentleman with his wife and three kids out for a stroll. It just so happened that we bumped into each other in front of a churchyard that I had my intention of detecting for some time now. Anyway, this gentleman turns out to be the pastor of the church and grants me permission to detect it all I want. I detected part of the front yard of the church and found a couple wheats and some clad. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a nail, pull tab or anything else that is not a coin. After about an hour I returned home.

After work today, I decided to risk the sweltering heat, geared up some water bottles and headed out. I began detecting the shaded regions of the churchyard around some of the older trees and plants and immediately started finding wheats. I have still yet to find any silver however the existence of wheats increases my chances I think.

The second the last target of the day was reading as a penny/dime at four inches. For those with the ACE 250, I have noticed that a memorial penny will "ding ding" at me while a wheat normally will bounce back with a single bell tone. I have found very few IH pennies so I was not sure whether they responded as if they were memorials. This IH sounded like a wheat so I dug!

Much to my amazement, out pops this beauty. HOLY COW!

I'm still in shock and im search of a stiff drink.

HH

-Hunter

Attachments

• 1877Front.JPG
    1877Front.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,531
  • 1877Back.JPG
    1877Back.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,500
Upvote 5

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Absolutley beautiful 1877... $400 dollar plus penny what a find. :headbang:

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The coin had a little bit of impacted dirt on the observe especially. In order to remove the dirt, I first washed my hands thoroughly when I got back home. I then prepared a plastic bowl with soap water. I like to use some dish soap personally. I then have a second plastic bowl with distilled or boiled water. This way if your tap water has minerals in it, you decrease the risk of having small deposits on your coin. After washing my hands again in distilled water, I proceeded to take the coin and gently rub the front and back simultaneously to push the dirt of the edge and off the coin. I also have an old electric toothbrush head with ultrasoft brush bristles that I put on the lowest possible setting to lift off some other corrosives on most coins. I did not however use that on this IH. I will admit that it helped that this coin appears to have been dropped before it could have been circulated much and I think partially that it was somewhat sheltered under a large root of a nearby tree, not sure of that shielded it from the elements per se, but man what a beauty.

Hope this helps!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT'S a coin!!. . . awesome recovery and a beauty to boot :thumbsup:

You got my vote!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never dug a small cent that did not have some type of discoloration ???.

Nice one.

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Neil,

I'm with you on this. The fact that I found it at around 3.5 to 4 inches while digging wheats and memorials at lower depths coupled with the fact that I found it by a low limbed old tree that is perfect for climbing makes me think that someone went rooting through dad's collection and then dropped it while using the tree as a jungle gym. Like I said it had some impacted dirt on the back that you see with most coins that have been in the ground a period of time but otherwise it had very few imperfections. I liken it to the stories of that now exotic car that the farmer kept in the barn for awhile that becomes valuable and then is discovered. I was sure it was just another memorial when it come out without the dirt on it that most others head. I did more than one double take after seeing the headdress.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , You might attend that church next sunday , and put a generous offering in the plate . My
2009 Redbook lists the 1877 IH - at $2000. bucks in VF - Very nice indeed ! Argentium.

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Argentium,

You read my mind! I spoke to the pastor the first time we met about that very prospect. I will be front and center come Sunday.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is one of the cleanest and best detailed that I've seen in a long time!
Loved the story about the find as well, made me feel like I was there with you.
Congratulations Hunter!
My vote for Banner is in!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Wldbil said:
Absolutley beautiful 1877... $400 dollar plus penny what a find. :headbang:
Don't know how old your price guide is but that is a 900.00 coin in G-4 an this looks to be atleast XF-40 booking at 2500.00 in the 2010 redbook

Note: I came in an added my prices are from the 2010 Redbook

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that indian is amazing, looks like it was never in the ground. I have dug 42 indians this year alone and every single one came out of the ground green. Last season i dug 57 indians, and every last one was green. Are my eyes failing me? That coin looks brown like it was not in the ground at all?

simply amazing for a coin being buried 100+ yrs.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible IH :icon_thumleft: they do come out of the ground looking like that once in a blue moon ,it must of been a blue moon Good find
its not the Golden Princess coin but no less its a beauty :thumbsup: Dd60

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 3,259

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
that indian is amazing, looks like it was never in the ground. I have dug 42 indians this year alone and every single one came out of the ground green. Last season i dug 57 indians, and every last one was green. Are my eyes failing me? That coin looks brown like it was not in the ground at all?

simply amazing for a coin being buried 100+ yrs.
It must be ground conditions out here i have only dug 7 IH so far this year and everyone has come out lite brown to dark brown still got no greens 1878 to 1903 and 1 flying 1 cent `1857 same thing brown but largies come out green go figure Dd60

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote from: Neil in West Jersey on Today at 04:55:20 PM
I have never dug a small cent that did not have some type of discoloration .

Nice one.

Me neither.

Great find

---------------------------

I've dug scores, and me neither - though I have found a couple with that much detail. What a thrill that must have been to pull out of the ground!!! :icon_sunny: Banner vote for me, and congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread