MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day all,

Well its been almost 1 year (maybe more) since I posted a find. I have been around and lurking and commented on a few of your posts. I just haven't found anything of any quality to post. That is until now.

A friend and I went out on Father's Day to a sight he had found and got permission to detect on. It is an old cellar hole, probably the biggest I have ever seen, about twice the size as an average one that I have seen. Its got a great big barn foundation (I didn't measure but am guessing 40x60 or larger). There are 2 wells, one up on the hill by the house and 1 down the hill from the house.

Well by buddy and I were detecting around the well at the bottom of the hill and were not getting any signals worth digging (IMO). It seemed almost as if my detector was malfunctioning. He went up to the house site to continue digging and sifting through the area between the house and the barn. He was finding all kinds of cool stuff!

I was getting very mad at my detector and left the old well. The detector was still malfunctioning (every swing had about 40 beeps to it). I got mad at it and smacked it around a few times and then pulled the batteries and left it that way for about 5 minutes. I put the batteries back in, started it up and smacked it around a few more times to show it who was boss.

I started detecting down the old carriage road from the well at the bottom of the hill. I went all the way to the township line on the carriage road and dug a few bullets and a lead disc with 2 holes in it that I think was probably a button. On the way back I decided to check out the well again. I spent about 30 minutes around it and still no signals that I wanted to dig.

I went up and talked to my buddy to see how he was doing with his monumental task of excavating the area. He was plugging along (found a nice hot pad?? - one of those things you put your hot pan on). I thought that was pretty cool and was the find of the day. I told him that I was gonna go down and hit that well again. I just felt like I was missing something.

So I went down the carriage road and started in towards the well when I got a sweet high tone. I pinpointed and figured the target to be to large for a coin. Probably just another piece of crappy copper or something I thought. Well I dug down about 5 inches and didn't see anything in the hole. I stuck the pinpointer in the hole and realize that I missed. It was over just a bit. So I dug over a bit (complete pain with the roots) and pulled out this belt plate.

It was upside down so I just thought to myself "cool a belt buckle". I flipped it over and about died! I had a civil war plate. The US was staring right at me. I sat there for about 5 minutes in disbelief. Then I screamed and started doing the happy dance. Scared the crap out of my buddy!!!! I ran up to show him and he started yelling and happy dancing too! Must have been a funny site to see.

Well after that I went back down the hill to get my detector and was walking back up the hill and got another sweet high tone and got a 1827 large cent. It was a great father's day for me considering my wife and kids were 1200 miles away. I am very happy that I dug this cool stuff but would rather have had them around for father's day.

I was doing a little light reading in American digger magazine (volume 3 Issue 6 from 2007) under the just dug and somebody else found the same type. This is what they had to say about it. "... a US buckle that is stamped with the maker, W.H. Smith Brooklyn." Plates marked by the manufacturer are considered scarce, and one as legible as this example is especially desirable." Now mine is in a little worse shape and the back mark is not quite as legible but is readable. I thought that was cool.

OK so now fast forward to today. I was researching the property and found who the owner was 1820 or so to about 1880. It is a house of a family that had several men serve in the civil war in different Maine regiments. So I suppose it belonged to one of them. I feel privileged to have found and to hold a real piece of American History. I know who it belonged to (well at least narrowed down) and found it on the property on which they lived. I think that is pretty special.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the post. I look forward to any comments.

Hills Hunter

Attachments

• US beltplate2.jpg
    US beltplate2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,545
  • US beltplate3.jpg
    US beltplate3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,491
  • US beltplate4.jpg
    US beltplate4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,514
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome buckle. Metal detecting is weird. One minute it can be boring, tedious, or frustrating, and the next minute you can be holding the find of the year.

Now, promise me that the next buckle you dig you will not use water to clean it. Dry brushing. Dry brushing. (Would've left the sweet green patina intact.)

Nice to see the maker's stamp in the lead--which makes a good find even better.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
That is an awesome buckle. Metal detecting is weird. One minute it can be boring, tedious, or frustrating, and the next minute you can be holding the find of the year.

Now, promise me that the next buckle you dig you will not use water to clean it. Dry brushing. Dry brushing. (Would've left the sweet green patina intact.)

Cheers,

Unfortunately, the patina is exactly how it was when it came out.... all different colors. Might have something to do with the root it was against or something... who knows. I did rinse it off but no rubbing of any type.

Buck

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAINE HILLS HUNTER-IOWA HUNTER said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Buck

Unfortunately, the patina is exactly how it was when it came out.... all different colors. Might have something to do with the root it was against or something... who knows. I did rinse it off but no rubbing of any type.

Water loosens patina, with OR without rubbing. In general with good or valuable brass, it is wise to dry brush first. (The back of it has certainly been rubbed, where the marking is--and that is fine) I'm just trying to share some information with you that you might find useful.

I'm not certain who the maker's stamp in the back is... I have seen several stamped like that before. Can you read any of what the mark says?

-Buckles

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Buck

Water loosens patina, with OR without rubbing. In general with good or valuable brass, it is wise to dry brush first. (The back of it has certainly been rubbed, where the marking is--and that is fine) I'm just trying to share some information with you that you might find useful.

I'm not certain who the maker's stamp in the back is... I have seen several stamped like that before. Can you read any of what the mark says?

-Buckles

Yeah the mark says "W.H. Smith, Brooklyn". It is readable in person, the pic isnt that great. Wish I knew not to run water on it ahead of time. It was starting to flake a bit after being out of the ground for a couple of hours so I rinsed it. I do take that back... I did rub where the mark was to be able to fully read it. Didn't rub the front, guess I should have. Oh well, you live and learn.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one cool looking buckle Hills Hunter! Congratulations! If it was me and I had found that . . . I probably would've wet my pants with excitement!

Loved your storyline leading to your discovery as well, it really made the post for me. Good thing you kept going back to that cellar hole based on a gut feeling too!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle. I just went out and kicked my DFX! I'll let you know if it worked as soon as I get out again. Maybe this weekend.

cumberlandgray

Nov 24, 2009
Congratulations!!!

Good day all,

Well its been almost 1 year (maybe more) since I posted a find. I have been around and lurking and commented on a few of your posts. I just haven't found anything of any quality to post. That is until now.

A friend and I went out on Father's Day to a sight he had found and got permission to detect on. It is an old cellar hole, probably the biggest I have ever seen, about twice the size as an average one that I have seen. Its got a great big barn foundation (I didn't measure but am guessing 40x60 or larger). There are 2 wells, one up on the hill by the house and 1 down the hill from the house.

Well by buddy and I were detecting around the well at the bottom of the hill and were not getting any signals worth digging (IMO). It seemed almost as if my detector was malfunctioning. He went up to the house site to continue digging and sifting through the area between the house and the barn. He was finding all kinds of cool stuff!

I was getting very mad at my detector and left the old well. The detector was still malfunctioning (every swing had about 40 beeps to it). I got mad at it and smacked it around a few times and then pulled the batteries and left it that way for about 5 minutes. I put the batteries back in, started it up and smacked it around a few more times to show it who was boss.

I started detecting down the old carriage road from the well at the bottom of the hill. I went all the way to the county line on the carriage road and dug a few bullets and a lead disc with 2 holes in it that I think was probably a button. On the way back I decided to check out the well again. I spent about 30 minutes around it and still no signals that I wanted to dig.

I went up and talked to my buddy to see how he was doing with his monumental task of excavating the area. He was plugging along (found a nice hot pad?? - one of those things you put your hot pan on). I thought that was pretty cool and was the find of the day. I told him that I was gonna go down and hit that well again. I just felt like I was missing something.

So I went down the carriage road and started in towards the well when I got a sweet high tone. I pinpointed and figured the target to be to large for a coin. Probably just another piece of crappy copper or something I thought. Well I dug down about 5 inches and didn't see anything in the hole. I stuck the pinpointer in the hole and realize that I missed. It was over just a bit. So I dug over a bit (complete pain with the roots) and pulled out this belt plate.

It was upside down so I just thought to myself "cool a belt buckle". I flipped it over and about died! I had a civil war plate. The US was staring right at me. I sat there for about 5 minutes in disbelief. Then I screamed and started doing the happy dance. Scared the crap out of my buddy!!!! I ran up to show him and he started yelling and happy dancing too! Must have been a funny site to see.

Well after that I went back down the hill to get my detector and was walking back up the hill and got another sweet high tone and got a 1827 large cent. It was a great father's day for me considering my wife and kids were 1200 miles away. I am very happy that I dug this cool stuff but would rather have had them around for father's day.

I was doing a little light reading in American digger magazine (volume 3 Issue 6 from 2007) under the just dug and somebody else found the same type. This is what they had to say about it. "... a US buckle that is stamped with the maker, W.H. Smith Brooklyn." Plates marked by the manufacturer are considered scarce, and one as legible as this example is especially desirable." Now mine is in a little worse shape and the back mark is not quite as legible but is readable. I thought that was cool.

OK so now fast forward to today. I was researching the property and found who the owner was 1820 or so to about 1880. It is a house of a family that had several men serve in the civil war in different Maine regiments. So I suppose it belonged to one of them. I feel privileged to have found and to hold a real piece of American History. I know who it belonged to (well at least narrowed down) and found it on the property on which they lived. I think that is pretty special.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the post. I look forward to any comments.

Hills Hunter

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and all in tack to quality made from Brooklyn :headbang: one of those is still on my list so far just a CS plate not a US plate yet Great find Dd60

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't get any better than that.....Well, I guess if it read CS.Excellent plate regardless !!!! :icon_thumright:

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
That's one nice buckle! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Maine is treating you good! Great find. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
i enjoyed your story imabe me laugh smackin your detector around seemed to work you found great stuff after fun post great buckle thanks :wav:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Great advice as usual Buckles,I too learned the hard way,on a large cent(they are RARE out my way)Water = the once present detail and patina GONE!!

Buck

-Buckles

Yeah the mark says "W.H. Smith, Brooklyn". It is readable in person, the pic isnt that great. Wish I knew not to run water on it ahead of time. It was starting to flake a bit after being out of the ground for a couple of hours so I rinsed it. I do take that back... I did rub where the mark was to be able to fully read it. Didn't rub the front, guess I should have. Oh well, you live and learn.

Great advice as usual Buckles,I too learned the hard way,on a large cent(they are RARE out my way)Water = the once present detail and patina GONE!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yeah,

That is a really nice plate.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread