Stone tools found while digging old bottles

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Wow! went out Saturday morning and I'm glad i did, I found this awesome full groove axe it is 4 inches long and 3 inches wide and a grooved looking stone. It is so hard to believe I found them. I started out medal detecting and found this small building that was about 9'x9' stone foundation with brick walls. The floor boards were removed in the center of the floor. I could see that it was being used to dump old rusty cans and i figured that there had to be bottles down deeper. I picked a spot and went down as far as i could stacking the dirt ,cans and broken bottles up against the wall. The deeper i got the more glass i found. most of the bottles had been broken with stones and bricks so more bottles would fit I'm guessing. Everyonce in awhile I would find a unbroken bottle. I found the clay pot directly below the door. No dates or writing on it wonder how old it is? I was down 5' and hit gravel went down below that and found more bottles then the sides statred falling in on me and i figured it was probably not safe anymore. i was looking down just before i started to climb out and saw the curved part of the axe stone and picked it up. I could not believe what i was holding allot older than the bottles i was finding. Then i found the stone with the grooves in it, at first i thought it was a bottle. I climbing out and cleaned off my finds. :o :o :o ;D ;D You really never know what your going to find. I wanted to get back down in the hole but i figured i would need to come back with someone to help. so i filled in the hole.
I'm just wondering if someone threw them down there to break the bottles or were they in the gravel. This is by far the most fun i have had in a long time. It would take allot of work to get all of the dirt out of the building but it would be fun to find the rest of the unbroken items down there. Any information you can give me about my finds would be great.

Thanks for looking
Duff

Attachments

• bottles.jpg
    bottles.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • clay pot.jpg
    clay pot.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,240
  • stone finds.jpg
    stone finds.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,154
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1,438
  • stone 2.jpg
    stone 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!Awesome array of time periods there!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet axe head and glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that stone piece on the left looks like a MACE--but I have never seen one before that was Native American.

:o

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice old tools.

They look native american for sure. There better than the bottles. Amazing they were with them.

HH Jer

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice finds :icon_thumright:

:wink: RR

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
This needs more attention.

Attachments

• stone_finds.jpg
    stone_finds.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 932

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:

Agreed!! I have never seen a Native American War Club head that was drill for the haft. I think you might have a mix there.

Just a guess, but the mace kinda reminds me of some Celtic weapons I've seen.

Never-the-less, astounding finds.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that artifact, Newt?

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Whatever it is it would in the center of my collection.

Does the hole go all the way through?

I've never seen anything like that before.
Newt

OP
OP
dduffy

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
BuckleBoy

I have no idea. I posted on Indian Artifacts forum.

Duff

OP
OP
dduffy

dduffy

Aug 23, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Newt said:
Whatever it is it would in the center of my collection.

Does the hole go all the way through?

I've never seen anything like that before.
Newt

NewT

Here is a pic of the center. it looks the same on both sides. I thought maybe used to crush corn. The other stone fits perfectly in your hand.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
I have seen similar item,s like those at the many Indian museums out here i am no expert on those finds far from it but the one on the left looks like what they used to grind grains it had a wood pole through it something like a modern rolling pin today at least that is what was displayed at one of the artifacts museums .Dd60

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digging, the bottles are cool, but the stone artifacts are awesome. :headbang:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Newt said:
I have seen similar item,s like those at the many Indian museums out here i am no expert on those finds far from it but the one on the left looks like what they used to grind grains it had a wood pole through it something like a modern rolling pin today at least that is what was displayed at one of the artifacts museums .Dd60

Indeed that's what I was thinking it was as well (no expert on stone either though)....and that might be the reason the ax head was found with it...they were probably using the end of it to help pulverize the grain :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread