Low mintage

MikesDiggins

Feb 12, 2007
Goldrush Area
Detector(s) used
XLT
I went to a site last weekend that I haven't been to in three years. It's quite a long drive. One of my buddies dug a gold coin on the previous trip. This time it was my turn. As you can see by the picture I have not cleaned it, nor do I think I will. When I got home I found that it is a low mint and the detail looks like it may grade pretty good. What do you think?
Thanks for looking and HH

Mike

Attachments

• 06192010.jpg
    06192010.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,582
  • 06192010 a.jpg
    06192010 a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,556
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was mine, it would already be cleaned. I mean....c'mon people......Lets use some common sense. I know it's a VERY high dollar coin, but warm water, with a VERY SOFT brush would do the trick. NOT A TOOTHBRUSH!!! Gold cleans very easily, but it also scratches easily. Take your time and this thing looks like EF grade at least. Depending on what is underneath it could go AU-50. That's $4,000 bucks chief! Just be careful and take your time. It will look like new! Congratulations on a definite Banner Find! Hogge :notworthy:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
One of those ' once in a lifetime finds ' that many of us will never come across.

Congratulations on a super find.

Makes one wonder what the story is on the location of the find. How could 2 gold coins be lost at the same location? Interesting to think about. Could there be more?

Hope there is.

Happy Hunting.

Ray S ECenFL

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a nice coin!!!!! MR TUFF

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man if i were you I would.. :laughing9: Jumping up and down fast like That...Congrats on digging a GOLD coin.. :thumbsup: Holy cow. I couldn't sleep for a week if I would have found that. That my friend is a banner worthy coin all day..Even on Sunday.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
So you got this coin where another gold coin had been found? How far away was the other coin found? Was it about the same age? You might have something more than just a couple gold coins here!?!?!

BTW, GREAT coin. (Some coins it's ok to get a little excited with). :icon_thumright: :laughing9: :laughing9: :icon_thumleft:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is this not on the banner yet? Just wondering...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Wondered the same thing. Then realized I hadn't voted for it yet. (duh!)

Got that taken care of now.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner :hello2: one rare beautiful coin :thumbsup: Dd60

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find Mike. I guess i'm one of the very few here who think you should leave it as it is. it isn't often we see a found gold coin that actually looks found. Sure, it may be "worth more" cleaned up, but then it will be one of thousands of generic gold coins. As it is, that patina tells a story that only your coin in found state can tell. Once more, congratulations.

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
150 year old, $4000 gold coin? A site that's produced 2 gold coins in 2 trips? What's the big deal??? :)

Congrats on a nice find; I imagine it must have been pretty exciting...

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Nice find Mike. I guess i'm one of the very few here who think you should leave it as it is. it isn't often we see a found gold coin that actually looks found. Sure, it may be "worth more" cleaned up, but then it will be one of thousands of generic gold coins. As it is, that patina tells a story that only your coin in found state can tell. Once more, congratulations.
Ya....That dirt really makes the coin! :tongue3: Sorry Jonny....I just couldn't help myself. No disrespect intended. Well....not intentional anyways. Hogge

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:

Great looking coin :notworthy: well deserved Banner spot :icon_thumleft:

SS

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hogge said:
johnnyi said:
Ya....That dirt really makes the coin! :tongue3: Sorry Jonny....I just couldn't help myself. No disrespect intended. Well....not intentional anyways. Hogge

Ha! Yes Hogge, you see dirt and I see a patina that confirms a found coin, a rarity amongst the many gold coins that are often questionable. Why would your opinion of mine have a thing to do with disrespect though? Each to their own I guess, eh Hogge? :tongue3:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
If it was mine, it would already be cleaned. I mean....c'mon people......Lets use some common sense. I know it's a VERY high dollar coin, but warm water, with a VERY SOFT brush would do the trick. NOT A TOOTHBRUSH!!! Gold cleans very easily, but it also scratches easily. Take your time and this thing looks like EF grade at least. Depending on what is underneath it could go AU-50. That's $4,000 bucks chief! Just be careful and take your time. It will look like new! Congratulations on a definite Banner Find! Hogge :notworthy:

A brush of ANY sort would MURDER this coin! Gold picks up "whizz marks" like no other metal! NO Brushes. The only cleaning that might be advisable is a soak in something like oxalic acid (wood bleach) or lemon juice perhaps--but given the rarity, I think I'd pony up a few bucks and have it professionally conserved.

One OUTSTANDING find there!

-Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
hogge said:
johnnyi said:

Ha! Yes Hogge, you see dirt and I see a patina that confirms a found coin, a rarity amongst the many gold coins that are often questionable. Why would your opinion of mine have a thing to do with disrespect though? Each to their own I guess, eh Hogge? :tongue3:
I see where you coming from, but he has the before shots as proof it was dug. Being as its meant to be a very high dollar coin, I guess its worth the money to get it seen by the pro's (although I would sweat if it left my hands in the postal system). Basically whatever the finder is most confirmable with is what is best, leaving it for another day is prefferable to scratching it up.
WELL DONE on the Banner :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread