Low mintage

MikesDiggins

Feb 12, 2007
Goldrush Area
Detector(s) used
XLT
I went to a site last weekend that I haven't been to in three years. It's quite a long drive. One of my buddies dug a gold coin on the previous trip. This time it was my turn. As you can see by the picture I have not cleaned it, nor do I think I will. When I got home I found that it is a low mint and the detail looks like it may grade pretty good. What do you think?
Thanks for looking and HH

Mike

Attachments

• 06192010.jpg
    06192010.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,582
  • 06192010 a.jpg
    06192010 a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,556
Upvote 0

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
In the future, could you please post proper driving directions to the sight (GPS coordinates would be great.)

Thanks in advance!

You dirty dog!

Jim

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
If it doesn't have any damage rust , corrosion , should easily grade XF-45. I vote banner on this!....I think you should be a little more excited!!!!, this is a once in a lifetime find for most of us. Congrats .

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold coin :icon_thumleft: yes only 10,800 1863 S were minted ,if that was a 1863 no mint mark only 30 proof coins where minted ,great CW era gold someone here knows how to remove rust on gold safely without damaging the coin i hope they see this . :thumbsup: Banner !! Dd60

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice :icon_thumright:

Gold is easy to clean, why would you not?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one gorgeous coin Mike!
I'd be so excited that I'd be speechless if I had found it!
Congrats!

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Yeah, I would very gently clean that one. Gold can clean very well without leaving any marks.

You can get the rust off by soaking it in a solution of oxalic acid. It's typically sold as wood brightener or wood bleach. It's very mild and will have no effect on the gold, but it will lift that rust right off the back.

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Sweet! I'll add another request for the GPS coordinates!

You've also got my vote.

Semper Fi

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding 1 of ??? survivors ..great looking coin and I bet there is more to the story . I would like to hear about the other gold piece . Without giving up certain secret info can you add some more details ? Thanks and Congrats on a banner find ! :icon_thumleft: CMD

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awsome find. That is quite a rare coin. Congrats! Banner worthy.

Little bit about it...

"1863-S Quarter Eagle (1863-S $2.5) Many Civil War coins struck at the San Francisco Mint are extremely undervalued. In the middle of the American Civil War, the San Francisco Mint only struck 10,800 pieces for circulation. Most, entered circulation and remained there for at least some period of time. No more than 80 pieces are known to exist, at most, in all grades, and that is the highest estimate usually found. "

Now there are 81! :)

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
I'm a bit confused. Many have scolded other hunters for cleaning coins - why does the consensus seem to be that this one should be cleaned? Patina doesn't mean anything on gold coins? What would cleaning do to the grading?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comfortablynumb said:
I'm a bit confused. Many have scolded other hunters for cleaning coins - why does the consensus seem to be that this one should be cleaned? Patina doesn't mean anything on gold coins? What would cleaning do to the grading?

Definitely not that type of patina. Properly cleaned would make that coin worth more.... but hard to say how much more because the high bid wouldn't be too bad because the buyer would be cleaning it to resell. (and know it would come nice) But bad eye appeal can smoke the price... all depends who's interested and what they think it will turn out like.

To answer your question when it comes to dug finds it's a case by case basis.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comfortablynumb said:
Thanks IP. I just wasn't sure.

To many people get caught up in general ways to clean things and that's why they make mistakes. There's no rush to cleaning anything you find so better to be sure.

I didn't suggest a method because I don't have any experience with gold coins... but i do know about 30 seconds in lemon juice would probably have it corrosion free and shining pretty good.

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
U.S. gold coins get a patina from the copper in them. Collectors look for that. Have it professionly cleaned is my recomendation. I'm guessing A.U. 55 on the grade. No flat on the tip of the nose no wear on the curl of hair down her neck. Awesome find!
T

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
What a find! If this isn't a Banner Find, I don't know what is.
It is such a rarity I think it would be worth the investment to have it professionally cleaned and graded.
It would put a stop to the: you did this wrong, and you did that wrong too.
Great find.....the find of a lifetime.
I am voting Banner !!
Thanks for sharing.
Phil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread