CELLAR HOLES* 3 LARGE COPPERS*KEY DATE 1804?

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
met up with Frank and Paul again for some holes i located quite a few towns away. bugs were relentless but we braved it out.
i came around a tree and stepped back :o whoa never seen a black snake like this scale a tree.is this a black racer? water snake? :icon_scratch:
finds are a cool ornate lock,2 of these heart shaped things.never found any of these before anyone have any ideas what they were used on? :help:
2 suspender buckles.a dandy button and 3 large coppers.a 1787 Fugio,1804 draped bust and a holed 1818 matron head.
happy hunting everyone!

Attachments

• JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 016 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 016 [].jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,295
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 004 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 004 [].jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 009 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 009 [].jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,289
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 001 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 001 [].jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,307
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 011 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 011 [].jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 019 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 019 [].jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 022 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 022 [].jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 023 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 023 [].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,277
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 025 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 025 [].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,280
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 026 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 026 [].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,265
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 028 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 028 [].jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,272
  • JUNE 26th OLD  CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 029 [].jpg
    JUNE 26th OLD CELLAR HOLES with paul and frank 029 [].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CELLAR HOLES* 3 LARGE COPPERS

terpfan said:
Don in SJ said:
I have no idea why the last number looks like it does, but it is not an 1804. I determined that by looking at the reverse photo of the coin you posted, ah no influence on dating using the reverse.

It appears the reverse matches the Sheldon 224 variety of the year 1801, but you will have to look at your coin and a photo to determine, since the photo posted is not exactly clear for me to be 1000% sure but am very sure the reverse is not any of the reverses of a 1804.

If the fraction would have been clearer I would have said S-224 without any doubt, so take a comparison look at that. Now what I do see that first tells me it is not an 1804 is the great spacing between the words of STATES OF AMERICA, on the 1801 they are far apart for S-224 and on any 1804 they are much closer to each other. But the determining factor for me is where the leaves point to the first "A" in AMERICA. Yours matches S-224 from what I see and is nowhere near where the leaves point on any 1804. Also the position of the leaves above that one in pointing to the letter F in OF.

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s224.jpg

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s266c.jpg

by looking at the leaf position and spacing I mentioned on these two examples you shoul easily see the differences I mentioned.

Don

Don, I see what you mean about the spacing of STATES OF AMERICA on the reverse. However, the date sure looks like an 1804. Is there any possibility that HEAVYMETALNUT has discovered a NEW variety of the 1804? Would it be unheard of for a new variety to be found?

"If" that is the case it is different, there's a much better chance of it being counterfeit than a new variety. It would probably take quite a bit of effort from the experts to prove a new variety but I don't think impossible. I know a new 1723 Irish Hibernia was discoved a few years back, and CT coppers too. But I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up for something like that.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan said:
Don in SJ said:
I have no idea why the last number looks like it does, but it is not an 1804. I determined that by looking at the reverse photo of the coin you posted, ah no influence on dating using the reverse.

It appears the reverse matches the Sheldon 224 variety of the year 1801, but you will have to look at your coin and a photo to determine, since the photo posted is not exactly clear for me to be 1000% sure but am very sure the reverse is not any of the reverses of a 1804.

If the fraction would have been clearer I would have said S-224 without any doubt, so take a comparison look at that. Now what I do see that first tells me it is not an 1804 is the great spacing between the words of STATES OF AMERICA, on the 1801 they are far apart for S-224 and on any 1804 they are much closer to each other. But the determining factor for me is where the leaves point to the first "A" in AMERICA. Yours matches S-224 from what I see and is nowhere near where the leaves point on any 1804. Also the position of the leaves above that one in pointing to the letter F in OF.

by looking at the leaf position and spacing I mentioned on these two examples you shoul easily see the differences I mentioned.

Don

Don, I see what you mean about the spacing of STATES OF AMERICA on the reverse. However, the date sure looks like an 1804. Is there any possibility that HEAVYMETALNUT has discovered a NEW variety of the 1804? Would it be unheard of for a new variety to be found?

For an 1804 new variety with spacing of the date being different compared to other known obverse die, it would be not likely at all..................It IS an 1801 Reverse, so I would say it would be a pipe dream to think of the possibility of it being an 1804.

Dates on ground found corroded and worn coppers can be misleading on what we think we see, even the 1880 nickel posted, in my opinion, was not an 1880 but an 1882.

Don

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
terpfan said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

"If" that is the case it is different, there's a much better chance of it being counterfeit than a new variety. It would probably take quite a bit of effort from the experts to prove a new variety but I don't think impossible. I know a new 1723 Irish Hibernia was discoved a few years back, and CT coppers too. But I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up for something like that.

I agree it most likely is an 1801. Even though initially the date appears to be 1804, upon closer inspection the "4" really appears too close to the "0". The location of the vertical portion of the "4" appears where the "1" is in the 1801. As usual, great call Don!

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Gotta love CT ;D

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a hunt in Connecticut and one of the things they told me was that there were no snakes. That pic looks just the same as the one we walked up on....kept our distance from that one. Nice finds!!!!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nice finds dave! ill look for my 1801 maby we could compare. ya sould of took up that bet on the most coppers for the year. i think i have a little more than half of what you found. ::) willy

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa!!! More great finds! I always enjoy looking at your posts. I am almost always amazed by what you find.

Great coins! A Fugio is high on my list, but I am not too hopeful, being that they were minted in New Haven.

I have found a few suspender buckles like that. They are always a welcome find as well!

I would rather run into 100 snakes like that then have a few deer ticks on (or in) my pants!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ProPointer said:
Looks like you got a strangle-hold on that SE. Good job :notworthy:
SE? i been using my old eagle spectrum at cellar holes.the XS is so slow i need to work with it more

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
ProPointer said:
XS is so slow i need to work with it more

That's because you don't swing, you hover. :thumbsup:
do you use the XS IP? i know ya have to just hover and go slow.but i'm so used to just going at a nice steady pace with the eagle spectrum.covering a good amount of ground and digging alot of good targets.no lie i can dig 10 targets with spectrum as opposed to 2 with the XS.theres a few sites that are so quiet that i pounded with the spectrum that i'm gonna go back and see if the XS is as deep as everyone i talked to claims. if this machine gets stuff that the spectrum missed then i'll be sold.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
ProPointer said:

do you use the XS IP? i know ya have to just hover and go slow.but i'm so used to just going at a nice steady pace with the eagle spectrum.covering a good amount of ground and digging alot of good targets.no lie i can dig 10 targets with spectrum as opposed to 2 with the XS.theres a few sites that are so quiet that i pounded with the spectrum that i'm gonna go back and see if the XS is as deep as everyone i talked to claims. if this machine gets stuff that the spectrum missed then i'll be sold.

Using explorers since 2000. Good detector but will seldom do more over a detector you know well.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
ProPointer said:

Using explorers since 2000. Good detector but will seldom do more over a detector you know well.
ok thanks for the feedback.somebody told me they pulled a few coppers at 12-14 inches with their XS,said it was like opening up a whole new old site again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
ProPointer said:

ok thanks for the feedback.somebody told me they pulled a few coppers at 12-14 inches with their XS,said it was like opening up a whole new old site again.

Not in iron they didn't!

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
met up with Frank and Paul again for some holes i located quite a few towns away. bugs were relentless but we braved it out.
i came around a tree and stepped back :o whoa never seen a black snake like this scale a tree.is this a black racer? water snake? :icon_scratch:
finds are a cool ornate lock,2 of these heart shaped things.never found any of these before anyone have any ideas what they were used on? :help:
2 suspender buckles.a dandy button and 3 large coppers.a 1787 Fugio,1804 draped bust and a holed 1818 matron head.
happy hunting everyone!
great coins and artifacts, dont like the snake, u keep him

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread