Need help with vintage earring

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the old pounded out green today. It always gives up something. Found this old earring at about 5-6 inches. The body of the earring is made from two pieces . The front looks like gold and the back looks like brass? :dontknow: Was this customary with old jewelry? It's definitely two different metals. I'm really hoping the stones are real. Looks like a blue sapphire and diamonds. It really dazzles in the light. Two of the "white" stones are missing. What do you think, real or costume?? Rich.

Attachments

• earring5.jpg
    earring5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 571
  • earring1.jpg
    earring1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 571
  • earring2.jpg
    earring2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 555
  • earring3.jpg
    earring3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
WOW that is a sweet earring! I will keep my fingers crossed that the stones are real, maybe go back to the spot with a sifter to see if you can find the missing rocks, and can you imagine having that thing screwed to your ear all day! yikes.

Chuck.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
That must be pretty old. I'm used to seeing those clamps on the backs of earrings, not the screw down type. It's a nice piece whether it's a real stone or not. Keep us updated though, inquiring minds want to know!!! It might be a good area to recheck.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Great Find... Hopefully the stones turn out to be real. Looks like it is in great shape for something
that old.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is not marked in any way...I would guess costume jewelry. They made some fancy pieces back in the day, and colored glass that was pretty impressive!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very neat find!!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
richm

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: As I suspected, I took it to my gold/jewelry/coin guy and it turns out to be costume jewelry circa: 30's-40's. Stones are glass. One of these days I'm gonna find a real one! Looked good in the hole though. Thanks for the input...Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread