1969-s and 1989 cud or die error

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Well, the 1969-s isn't worth anything, however, it's the first one I've ever owned, I could never run across a 69-s where I live so yes, it was a nice find personally :icon_thumleft:

Then in the same change, I found this 1989 with an error. Don't know what this would be called for sure but it's a keepsake nonetheless.

EDIT: Just noticed a fine strike across the cheekbone, don't know if it was an error or happened after.

EDIT EDIT: May be a double strike on nose as well, included pic.

Attachments

• 69ss.jpg
    69ss.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 608
  • linc89.jpg
    linc89.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 2010-06-29 17 57 56.png
    2010-06-29 17 57 56.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 2010-06-29 18 00 20.png
    2010-06-29 18 00 20.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "cud" occurs when a portion of the die breaks off (on the edge). Subsequently that area appears to be a "blob" of metal on the surface but is in reality just part of the coin blank that did not get pressed as it should.

Cheekbone looks to have post Mint damage.

Nose does appear to have a slight "doubling" look but is so slight under heavy magnification that I doubt it would command a premium.

Fun looking for new varieties though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
DigginThePast said:
A "cud" occurs when a portion of the die breaks off (on the edge). Subsequently that area appears to be a "blob" of metal on the surface but is in reality just part of the coin blank that did not get pressed as it should.

Nose does appear to have a slight "doubling" look but is so slight under heavy magnification that I doubt it would command a premium.

Thanks. :icon_thumright: I do have a Euro w\cud error as you described but wasn't sure if that ridge that I outlined in green was called a cud or not so thanks for pointing that out. If you know what that's called I'll correct the post, perhaps a rim error? :dontknow: And nah, I don't expect to get anything premium for sure, I just collect them for the love of it. :icon_thumleft:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
what ever that error is i have a few! it seems to be pretty common on 80s dimes. i used to be pretty heavy into that before the metal detecting disease set in. :icon_pirat: willy

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely post-mint damage. But keep looking for those varieties, they are out there.

Capt.E

Jan 17, 2008
FAR NOR CAL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PChammer said:
Well, the 1969-s isn't worth anything, however, it's the first one I've ever owned, I could never run across a 69-s where I live so yes, it was a nice find personally :icon_thumleft:

Then in the same change, I found this 1989 with an error. Don't know what this would be called for sure but it's a keepsake nonetheless.

EDIT: Just noticed a fine strike across the cheekbone, don't know if it was an error or happened after.

EDIT EDIT: May be a double strike on nose as well, included pic.
There is a 1969s double die, I just read a story about a man finding one in a roll in ms 64 red, It sold for 126,000.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PChammer said:
DigginThePast said:

Thanks. :icon_thumright: I do have a Euro w\cud error as you described but wasn't sure if that ridge that I outlined in green was called a cud or not so thanks for pointing that out. If you know what that's called I'll correct the post, perhaps a rim error? :dontknow: And nah, I don't expect to get anything premium for sure, I just collect them for the love of it. :icon_thumleft:

I'm not sure if there is a specific name for what you have highlighted but that is quite common as was mentioned above. I saw your Euro coin thread and that one is pretty cool. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Thanks all. :icon_thumleft: Yep, read the 69 error and looked it over well prior just to be sure :wink: Oddly enough, I just acquired 2 more 69-s coins yesterday, all these years, nothing for whatever reason, now 3 of em :dontknow: Still looking into the 89 error and I don't think the rim error is post and hard to convey through an image but if you look, it goes under the wording, without warping or damage to the wording so that part I believe to be prior.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• 2010-06-30 18 52 10.png
    2010-06-30 18 52 10.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 268
OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Just to clear this up, I asked at a coin forum that had this topic, so signed up and found others with the same, near identical coin, it was pre, not post and is simply from a worn out die, nothing special and more common when they started using zinc. :'( Still keeping it though :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread