A Lucky Day?(YES) Short Hunt produces a Very Rare Large Cent and a NJ copper

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temperature finally dropped to a very comfortable range for hunting in the woods, so I went out this morning with at least the goal of getting the ole swingin arms back into shape after no detecting for awhile. If I found anything good it would be considered a bonus.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of my 2 hours on a small site that a few years ago produced only a few late 1700s buttons and a thimble or two.

The first find was the button which upon cleaning appears to be a acorn in the center, so rather nice to get one with some design.
AcornGiltbutton.jpg
The second find was a somewhat iffy coin reading, very deep and I was hoping it was a coin and not a large button or other copper item. To my delight a round copper piece appears. This coin after cleaning was identified as a 1786 NJ copper! The variety is a 14-J (common type) Maris 15-L (Common variety)......
1786NJ 14J.jpg
The third find was a reading that was bouncing from a good copper to a iron type reading, but since it was for sure an solid reading I dug and was rewarded with a hunk of rusty something that at once reminded me possibly of being part of a musket. Need help on this one for a possible ID.
MusketPartmaybe.jpg

The fourth find was another iffy reading and it appears after cleaning just to be a round lead disc that someone drilled a hole in, for awhile I thought it might be a counterfeit coin, but I see no details indicating so.
lead disc.jpg
The fifth find was just a brass round ring shaped type relic, no idea, nothing of significance that is for sure. It is in the group shot at the end of this post.
But, the 6th target was the best find of the day and one of my top finds ever for rarity. I knew it was a large cent by the size and thickness and was fairly certain it was a Draped Bust. Upon cleaning, I saw that it had nice details and I would without too much problem be able to attribute the variety. I got out Breen's book on early year large cents and looking at my coin I noticed the cud on the edge of the reverse so I started by looking for one that matched. Sure enough I found one rather quickly, and believe me, there are many varieties of 1797 so I was pleasantly surprised I found my match within minutes.

Well, then I looked at the rarity for this one, and the Sheldon NC-2 for 1797 is a RARITY 6! That is Very Rare and that made me want to get another opinion before I posted here.. I did so and it has been confirmed that it is indeed the NC-2, the cud is the giveaway for IDing it and I have been told only about 22 of this variety are known. Since Large Cent collectors are a large group, that is good news for me. :wink:
I wish it did not have the corrosion damage, but the coin is what the coin is, I did my best to conserve the coin and it is a welcomed addition to my collection.
1797 NC2.jpg
1julyfinds.jpg
So, my short hunt, in July (a July hunt is a rare event for me) made my month for sure. I still prefer the 1793 I got earlier this year for the thrill of the find, but it sure is nice finding another rare Large Cent variety.

Don

Upvote 0

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Not many square nails would go through a round hole that small and not make the hole squarish.

Don

This is an unused seal and the nail hasn't gone through the hole yet. Here's a thread where it was ID'd by members of the TNet community, as well. This is just a best guess based on feedback from others. I'd love to hear differing opinions as I dig them frequently.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,293821.msg2115391.html#msg2115391

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Don in SJ said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Those finds in a two hour hunt would make anyones day :headbang: The Draped Bust is truly awsome and how many NJ coppers does this make for you?

1 of 22 known on the LC, You have a BANNER vote from me too :notworthy:

VPR

My 15th New Jersey copper, wish it were more.

Don

Your 15th NJ copper ! To think that I was hoppin' when I found my toasted 1 NJ...........

Thanks for posting, VPR

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the rare LC, NJ copper and other finds, banner :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, You always seem to find some awesome coins! :notworthy:

Congrats on the sweet Draped Bust and NJ largies! :icon_thumright:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Awesome hunt Don, Congrats on the rare Largie, my banner vote is in !!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

Bubba65

U

umrgolf

Congats Don, another GREAT find.. you've had one hell of a year

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i always love to see whats been posted by you don!you are a true hunter! and this is also a awesome post. congrats bud! willy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1797 is in excellent shape :icon_thumleft: a lot better then most late 1800,s Great find :thumbsup: Dd60

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Man Don ! Nice going on that Sheldon NC-2 for 1797 ! Some other Great Finds too. I have never seen a button with an acorn in the middle.
BB

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Don, I am sure you've told us all before on preservation tips, but how did you preserve the 1797 coin? Olive oil?
Thanks for your reply (no doubt I'm being repetitious!).

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Definate banner. R-6, WHOOOOO-HOOO! And all in 2 hours!

I gotta ask: how did you choose to conserve the 1797? It looks pretty darn great considering...

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Don on your finds, it's good to see you can get out and do a little hunting.
Weather has been beautiful here this week, only I'm working. I hope to get out and hunt soon.
Once again we should be seeing you on the banner :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! utterly amazing! love your posts Don.a HUUUGE CONGRATS! :headbang:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your finds and on making the banner Don! :icon_thumright:
Loved your pics and the story behind them as well.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to see your out swinging again with a vengence.... Congrats on such a great coin... but I bet knowing what you have when you pull it directly from the hole brings a bigger rush then identifying it later...

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Summer detecting by Don! A rare event, indeed!

Nice going on the LC. One of 22 known is amazing! The NJ copper is also a beauty! Your 15th!!! Not many people can claim to have found more than a few. (I am still looking for my first. I am finding plenty of coppers, but the horses head still eludes me!).

I have come across a few lead items like yours. I was told by one person that they were makeshift buttons, but I would think it would have more than one hole if it was any type of button.

Congrats on your banner find!
Neil

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o Awsome LC! Congrats on the banner, much deserved.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks similar to the one i dug 2-weeks ago. guess i will post to have it looked at. the detail on mine is very good. wow thats awsome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread