Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this cool ring an finally found a little info on it thought I'd share it with you ......the center is the face cut out of a Merc dime (no idea what year ) one side is inscribed Oran with a 19 below it , on the other side it says Africa with 1943 below it on the outside bottom of the band is 3 small trade marks I cant make out ......this is what I've fount out about it so far .

in 1943 WW2 The U.S. 1st Ranger Battalion landed east of Oran Africa and quickly captured the shore battery at Arzew. this Ring is what was known as a trench ring made by the GI's , they would melt silver coins to make the rings an them design them how ever they wanted , while enduring long hours of just sitting in the trenches .

From what little info I can find on the rings themselves they go from $70 -$800

thats about all I can tell you so far other than the hallmarks are driving my crazy wanting to know what they are lol

enjoy an HH :icon_thumleft: Tank

Attachments

• SDC10893.JPG
    SDC10893.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,437
  • SDC10894.JPG
    SDC10894.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,353
  • SDC10895.JPG
    SDC10895.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,079
  • SDC10896.JPG
    SDC10896.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,286
  • SDC10899.JPG
    SDC10899.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,222
Upvote 8

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
That ring would be a good item for the "History Detectives" to investigate for you. If you've never seen that show, I highly recommend it. It's on PBS. (Check local listings)

Great Find!! :icon_thumright:
Cm2db

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmaster2db said:
That ring would be a good item for the "History Detectives" to investigate for you. If you've never seen that show, I highly recommend it. It's on PBS. (Check local listings)

Great Find!! :icon_thumright:
Cm2db

never seen em or heard of them but I'm gonna go look em up right now :icon_thumleft: thanks coinmaster

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leeame said:
:o :o :o

I found one of these in my mother's drawer after she passed, along with one just like it with a Boy Scout emblem on it. I have it in the safety deposit box and it is killing me not to be able to inspect it RIGHT NOW!

Congratulations!!!!

Lisa in So Oregon
Hi Leeame,

If there any chance that you would take a picture of your Trench ring- I'm sure that everyone here would be more than curious to see it!!!!

Yours hopefully

Rory

Tina2L8

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ring similar to this came home with my Grandfather from the war. Sadly it was lost, buy I found a similar one. Both from Tunis 1943, both with the same picture on them. The original was a big clunky brass men's ring, and the one I currently have is a silver "sweetheart" ring. Trench art is super fascinating, congrats on your find!
FullSizeRender.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, unique and historic find-congratulations!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring does mot belong in the ground!!Great find thanks for sharing it!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread