Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this cool ring an finally found a little info on it thought I'd share it with you ......the center is the face cut out of a Merc dime (no idea what year ) one side is inscribed Oran with a 19 below it , on the other side it says Africa with 1943 below it on the outside bottom of the band is 3 small trade marks I cant make out ......this is what I've fount out about it so far .

in 1943 WW2 The U.S. 1st Ranger Battalion landed east of Oran Africa and quickly captured the shore battery at Arzew. this Ring is what was known as a trench ring made by the GI's , they would melt silver coins to make the rings an them design them how ever they wanted , while enduring long hours of just sitting in the trenches .

From what little info I can find on the rings themselves they go from $70 -$800

thats about all I can tell you so far other than the hallmarks are driving my crazy wanting to know what they are lol

enjoy an HH :icon_thumleft: Tank

Attachments

• SDC10893.JPG
    SDC10893.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,436
  • SDC10894.JPG
    SDC10894.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,352
  • SDC10895.JPG
    SDC10895.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,078
  • SDC10896.JPG
    SDC10896.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,285
  • SDC10899.JPG
    SDC10899.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,221
Upvote 8

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find man... and a great story as well.

You have to wonder what thoughts run through their minds in a time like that. Scary times for sure.

Pretty good craftsmanship dont ya think?

Mine wouldn't be legible cause Id be crapping my pants while trying to engrave in that trench. :-[

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find my friend, one worthy of being displayed in a nice case..... :icon_thumright:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is truly the best discovery you have made so far. Congrats brother.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen various coins cut out a bit like yours (I have a Head of Geo V from a farthing), but I haven't seen them on a ring until now. As you point out trench art was fairly popular & mostly modelled things in brass cartridges, silver like this with a story is a double bonus find. :hello2: The hallmark like stamps are probably make believe (as I have no idea where he mine have gone to get them assayed), he just had an eye for detail, although it should be typical on the inside of the ring.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Congrats on a fantastic ring. Lots of history there. Does it fit you?

HH

Desertfox

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Awesome find man, and cool story too, Thats definately a keeper. :icon_thumright:

Sasnz

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me ,that's a banner find considering what it represents!! Awesome!!

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Keep it :hello2: WW2 relics for many collectors are more valuable than artifacts of the Ancient World. Trench art is certainly a find with more difference than some modern stuff with lab created stones.

U

umrgolf

Thats an amazing ring Tank.. I agree w/ the banner votes. U have mine

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find that ring is a work of ART !! :icon_thumleft: the 1st Ranger Battalion has a long history and still exist today that was my unit over in Vietnam mid 1960,s Black Rock Mountain DMZ , Great find :thumbsup: Dd60

The 1st Ranger Battalion is an elite special operations unit of the US Army that is currently based at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, Georgia, United States.

It was originally formed shortly after the United States' entry into World War II and was modeled upon the British Commandos. Members from the unit were the first American soldiers to see combat in the European theater when they participated in the failed raid on Dieppe in France in 1942, during which three Rangers were killed and several more were captured. Later, the 1st Ranger Battalion was sent to North Africa where they participated in the landings in Algeria and the fighting in Tunisia in 1943. In late 1943 the unit was broken up in order to raise two more Ranger battalions before it took part in the campaigns in Sicily and Italy. After World War II, the 1st Ranger Battalion has gone through a number of changes of name and composition as it has been activated and deactivated and re-organised on a number of occasions. However, the unit has lived on in one form or another since then, serving in Korea and Vietnam before being consolidated into the 75th Ranger Regiment of which it is a part today. Recent deployments have included operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan as part of the wider global war on terrorism

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool looking ring Tank !

How about more Details on the find.

When & where did you find it ?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o if that ring could tell a story ! The Ranger must have made it back home , alive. :icon_thumleft: Congrats Tank 69 , nice work finding this remarkable WW 2 ring ! Banner find , :headbang: like your thread 2 8) CMDawg

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GioTheGreek said:
Awesome find man... and a great story as well.

You have to wonder what thoughts run through their minds in a time like that. Scary times for sure.

Pretty good craftsmanship dont ya think?

Mine wouldn't be legible cause Id be crapping my pants while trying to engrave in that trench. :-[
JuJu said:
That is truly the best discovery you have made so far. Congrats brother.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu
Deepdiger60 said:
Nice find that ring is a work of ART !! :icon_thumleft: the 1st Ranger Battalion has a long history and still exist today that was my unit over in Vietnam mid 1960,s Black Rock Mountain DMZ , Great find :thumbsup: Dd60

The 1st Ranger Battalion is an elite special operations unit of the US Army that is currently based at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, Georgia, United States.

It was originally formed shortly after the United States' entry into World War II and was modeled upon the British Commandos. Members from the unit were the first American soldiers to see combat in the European theater when they participated in the failed raid on Dieppe in France in 1942, during which three Rangers were killed and several more were captured. Later, the 1st Ranger Battalion was sent to North Africa where they participated in the landings in Algeria and the fighting in Tunisia in 1943. In late 1943 the unit was broken up in order to raise two more Ranger battalions before it took part in the campaigns in Sicily and Italy. After World War II, the 1st Ranger Battalion has gone through a number of changes of name and composition as it has been activated and deactivated and re-organised on a number of occasions. However, the unit has lived on in one form or another since then, serving in Korea and Vietnam before being consolidated into the 75th Ranger Regiment of which it is a part today. Recent deployments have included operations in both Iraq and Afghanistan as part of the wider global war on terrorism

Wow Thanks guys this wild I posted last night never expecting this kinda response on this ring , Thankyou OK lets see if I can answer a few of ya . Gio lol I agree hard to be creative with people trying to kill ya lol ...JuJu thanks Bro that means allot tho I'm not sure if its this or the arrow head that if my best find ...Deepdigger wow that's awesome piece of history on the Rangers thanks that just gives this ring a lil extra karizma in my eyes ....to everyone else thank you for your great comments an your vote for Banner ......Wow I never expected that when I posted this ring ........once again thanks everyone your a great bunch Happy Hunting Tank :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
cool looking ring Tank !

How about more Details on the find.

When & where did you find it ?
ivan salis said:
well you know the merc is 1943 or earlier :wink:

No problem Jeff ........I found it late Thursday night , spent yesterday afternoon trying to research it so I knew what I had when I posted it Last night . I got a day job cleaning up an old storage shed thats been abandoned but full of trash an junk , the owner of the property passed years ago an the family wanted to have it cleaned out before its torn down .their going to clear the property ( an yes I did ask to hunt it afterwards an got the green light :icon_thumleft: ) to sell .Junk an trash is an understatement but I did find a crushed shoe box by accident that had some old costume jewelry in it , I figured I'd bring it home for the Minnie miners you know how lil girls like to play dress up .I was sitting at home an Red Started looking threw the box lol she woulda made JUJU proud all of a sudden she lets out this scream an yell It's silver ( lol indeed it was ) so I had to look threw it .in all I pulled 3 (925) necklaces 2 small (10 & 14 k )pendants an a pair of 14k stud ear rings an this ring . so there you have it hopefully it wasn't to long winded , :icon_thumleft:

Ivan your killing me you know I been sitting here wishing I could tell what year that Merc was lol

HH Guys :icon_thumleft: Tank

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
:o :o if that ring could tell a story ! The Ranger must have made it back home , alive. :icon_thumleft: Congrats Tank 69 , nice work finding this remarkable WW 2 ring ! Banner find , :headbang: like your thread 2 8) CMDawg

I agree CM what a story .....I'd luv to meet the man an hear the story .....I have to admit I wish there was a way to get it back where it belongs but the other side this one is to cool to let go of .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread