My stellar day - GOLD COIN + 18CT GOLD WATCH

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
I went on a one-day business trip to an obscure tiny township and managed to procure an address of my acquaintanceā€™s old relations who live there. Simple as that - I wanted to MD their property. They donā€™t own a farm, just have an urban plot with an oldish house built in the mid-1950. Though it didnā€™t sound too promising, I needed a bit of relaxing. My activity was limited to their huge backyard. As I expected my MDing did not start on the right footing. I was pulling out a lot of modern alum bits. Watching me, my hosts were grinning, ā€˜What do you expect to find?ā€™ they asked me. I used that occasion to ask if I could keep my finds. Still grinning this lovely elderly couple nodded in consent. The next target sounded just like another modern can. I was stunned to see some sweet yellow in the hole. Even before examining my find, I plopped to the ground. Literally. Only when I calmed down a bit, I began to look for marks and I wasnā€™t surprised at all to see ā€™18 ctā€™ on that Seiko watch bracelet attached to a gold wrist-watch. But it was time to resume MDing. The very next signal brought me a vintage sterling ring. Though not very sightly it is rather chunky. I would date it to the 1930ā€™s ā€“ 1940ā€™s. I continued my search and this time the target leapt out of the ground and I saw a ā€˜goldieā€™ on a heap of dirt. Then my ā€˜processorā€™ got jammed and it took me ages to realize that I found my 3rd GOLD COIN and the first British one ā€“ a half sovereign of 1866. Still quite shaky I pulled myself together to continue MDing and got 2 x1900 sixpences in a row (one damaged by a plough). Then came a relic time: a musket ball, a button with some Jewish pattern on it, several buckles, an old thimble, a woven pattern 2-piece button, a very early safety razor and a half penny of 1896. I honestly showed my hosts all the finds and still they allowed me to keep them. I will certainly give some nice gift to those nice people who let me in.
I believe I need to change my avatar :wink:

Attachments

• seiko18kwatch001.jpg
    seiko18kwatch001.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4,612
  • seiko18kwatch002.jpg
    seiko18kwatch002.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4,597
  • seiko18kwatch003.jpg
    seiko18kwatch003.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4,600
  • 1866halfsovereign001.jpg
    1866halfsovereign001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4,591
  • 1866halfsovereign002.jpg
    1866halfsovereign002.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4,555
  • 1866halfsovereign003.jpg
    1866halfsovereign003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4,543
  • silverring.jpg
    silverring.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4,381
  • 1900sixpence.jpg
    1900sixpence.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 4,428
  • gold002.jpg
    gold002.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 4,425
  • gold001.jpg
    gold001.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4,447
  • musketballbuckles.jpg
    musketballbuckles.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 4,336
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 4,312
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
already up there..... with the other treasures .
congrats!

Attachments

• HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,611
  • HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,615
U

umrgolf

congrats on the banner :icon_thumleft: still waiting on my first gold coin :laughing7:

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Iā€™d like to thank everyone for a nomination. A number of interesting relics found on this forum is just amazing!!!
I felt very emotional when I found a watch. As a matter of fact, my grandad once gave a gold watch with a band to my grandma as a wedding anniversary gift. And guess whatā€¦
In short, the old darling was that kind of person we, detectorists, are very fond of :laughing7: ā€“ she lost it within a week. The old man was grumpy for years about it.
I am coming back to the ā€˜treasure troveā€™ of a yard but with a little delay. The owners are leaving on a vacation to see their relatives in the UK. But on the brighter side, they promised to negotiate for me other potential properties here and in the UK.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on great Banner finds tuatara :headbang:

Looking forward to see what else you uncover at that site.
Cheers, Mike

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding that gold coin and making the BANNER !! :headbang: Good hunt Dd60

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! The gold coin club still eludes me.. One day...

Stanl (MI)

Apr 29, 2009
S.E. Mich.
Detector(s) used
Whites: V3i, DFX, & XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great day MD'ing.

Do you have any idea how old the watch is?

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Stella day alright Tua. That is simply amazing, You say you found 2 other gold coins what were they??

Cheers Sasnz

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
quote]Do you have any idea how old the watch is?[/quote]

Hi Stan,

Seiko has a very tricky system of putting dates on their watches. The first digit of serial number is a year within a decade. So if someone wants to date their watch properly, they should know the decade it was made in :icon_scratch:. For instance, '9' can be anything ending with '9' like '1959', '1969' etc.
There are some other ways of determining its age by movement. My guess is that it can be of late 1960's. I think that only because I found an English Matchbox car of the 60's next to the watch.

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Stella day alright Tua. That is simply amazing, You say you found 2 other gold coins what were they??Cheers Sasnz

Thank u Sasnz. My first gold coin was 1/2 half sovereign of 1858 Sydney Mint that I found 2 years ago. The next one was 1 sovereign of 1865. Also Sydney Mint. I dug it out 1 year ago. So for 3 years of relic hunting I have distribution of 1 coin/per year. That's pretty funny. But I have not found any rare coin of key date which I crave for so much.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I say "Coingratulations" ? Nice all the way around. :thumbsup:
TnMtns

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read and re-read this post over the last few days and am still just freaked out at the great finds you dug up!! You did a fantastic job!! Way to go! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Did I say "Coingratulations" ?
:D

I read and re-read this post over the last few days and am still just freaked out at the great finds you dug up!! You did a fantastic job!! Way to go!

The only job there was swinging the coil and digging. It's just the matter of stumbling across something interesting. The day before yesterday I 'made a burner' ;D - dug out 20 of these old kerosene lamp things on the old farm.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I'm late for the show :notworthy: stunning Gold coin :headbang:

SS