Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several friends have been encouraging me to post on this forum for a while now, so what better time than after finding something that has eluded me for a long time. A draped bust US silver coin! To top it off it is also 1700's vintage :icon_sunny: I have found 44 Spanish silver pieces and loads of large cents and half cents over the last 20 years, but never a bust silver coin of any kind. Although the date is worn off on this one, I can identify it as a 1797 dime by the reverse and the number of stars. Of course I wish it was in better shape, but it is what it is, and I'm happy to have found it!!

I also dug a King George III, 12 buttons (including a CW era eagle button), a thimble, some drawer pulls, a parasol part, some type of pin, a couple musket balls, and pewter spoon bowls along with the usual trash. All in all it was a fun day of digging.

I need to learn how to separate pictures and text on this forum :dontknow:

Attachments

• 1797 Front.jpg
    1797 Front.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 1797 Back.jpg
    1797 Back.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 7-2-10 All.jpg
    7-2-10 All.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 7-2-10 Dirt Shot.jpg
    7-2-10 Dirt Shot.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,462
  • 7-2-10 Dirt1.jpg
    7-2-10 Dirt1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 7-2-10 Dirt.jpg
    7-2-10 Dirt.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,456
Upvote 0

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FANTASTIC! Lets see some of that collection. At least I can drool...

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
gwdigger said:

sweet, sweet silver!
i too would love to see some of the collection.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. I have only found one bust myself years ago but mainly hunt the water now. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, glad to see you finally join, now to get you and Bill D to post more regularly!!! :) Yes it is a 1797 JR-1 variety, known for the die break on the Obverse side in date area that results in the date being worn off first just like on the one variety of Standing Liberty Quarters. Great find for sure!!

Here is an example of one at auction that had less wear but you can see the identical die break for comparison.

http://www.mkjassociates.com/cgi-bin/ilgvulot.pl?site=1&sale=41&lot=1036

Don

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve,

Hello, my Colonial brother, and welcome to this great treasure hunting site. :icon_thumleft: I knew eventually I would convince your Colonial butt to get over here. :laughing9: There are some great people on this site. Make yourself at home here and post those Colonial digs from the frontier of PA.

I am super happy for you on that great Draped Bust silver. :notworthy: PA is loaded with these types of finds, but you just have to play hard to get them. :headbang:

I would like to see a close-up of the King George. :icon_thumleft: I am voting for Banner on this one. Come on, guys, let's get Steve up there! :icon_thumleft:

Welcome once again, my brother, great find and may you continue to enlighten us with your digs in the future. :hello2:

Kirk

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Nah I wouldn't waste my time or effort posting here, they let people like Kirk PA post here...... ::) :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Just kidding. This place is cool and Kirk KNOWS about finding the colonial stuff, here in Cape we find lots of pull tabs and not much else anymore.

Welcome and good find you posted.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Very nice silver for sure ! I too would be interested in seeing you 20 year collection :thumbsup:

Welcome and thanks for posting, VPR

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, what a way to start off. That should be on the banner.
I think they have a rule about 1st time posters and the banner.
Regardless that is one outstanding find and should be there.
Seeing that makes me want to fire up my detector. Congratulations.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great finds :icon_thumleft: that 1797 dime i just saw in G-4 grade a lot less detail then yours goes for $2998.00 and AU-40 $32,000.00 :thumbsup: Nice find Dd60

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find !! :o I 'd say banner for sure, I'll put in my vote !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is awsome. A dream find for sure. :notworthy: :notworthy: Too bads its your first post or that would be banner all the way. :icon_thumright: Keep posting.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
When I scrolled down the page and saw the words "Steve in PA," I instantly did a fist pump and yelped, "YES!" :headbang: Steve, it is great to see you posting over here now! Treasurenet is a great place for all kinds of hunters. You'll feel right at home when you see more and more of the Colonial goods being posted.

That Draped Bust dime is killer! I know you were always looking for your first Bust silver, and you found one in true PA style! :headbang:

Kyle

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
gwdigger said:
Get in line. Draped Bust!!!! Someone else says dime. I say GREAT and BANNER!
Sadly its a wasted vote, you need more postings than just 1 to make the banner :(

Still, welcome to tnet from across the old side :hello:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Text here
*attach=1*

Text here
*attach=2*

Text here
*attach=3*

To get your pics posted after certain text areas, you need to first attach all the images you will use down in the "Add Images" area. Don't click "Post" just yet. Then, after you browsed for all the images you will use, click on "Inline Attachment" above the icons and you will get an *attach=1* every time. You just need to change the number, after the equal sign, with the picture you want to put there. For example, *attach=2* will be the second image, down in the "Add Images" area, that you browsed for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread