Found WWII army airfield

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
A friend told me about the location of an old airfield used by the army here in WWII. I went off into the woods, and before long found remains of old roads, faoundations of big buildings, posts, big berms of dirt, and an old jeep hood. Next was an old stove, some tin and blocks, then came the bottle dump. The bottle dump is loooong. It's a long strip of bottles and cans through the woods. Found several cobalt blue phillips milk of magnesia bottles, brown glass clorox bottles, coke bottles from local bottling companies, and lots of strange stuff like GE lightbulbs marked for airport use, drinking glasses, etc...

I found a large bullet shell (.50 cal I think) and a large shell that I think might have been a flare. It's aluminum, probably 2" across and around 4" long, with a primer in the center that says WRAC NEW No. 4. There is also old enamelware, porcelain, medicine bottles, and bits and pieces of who knows whats. Even a huge loudspeaker horn shaped like the ones on the poles on the M*A*S*H tv show but bigger.

The poison ivy is starting to get leaves on it now, so it won't be long before I decide to stay away, but I gotta get back there with my detector. The finds I have made so far were eyeballed. I hope to be able to use the detector around the building foundations if they aren't too trashy.

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a great spot and cannot wait for posts .sounds like the camp covers a large area may take some time to md. good luck

tinpan

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It covers many many acres, probably hundreds. Not all of it is accesible though. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

B

brz

that sounds pretty cool, keep hunting the area and you never know what you will find. Keep it up and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread