18th century house finds.

N

neu

well, i went out to this spot i found yesterday, mainly went to scout it out but i took my detector and hit a spot, just to see how long it would take to find something. in 15 minutes of detecting i found these items all in the same 4' x 4' area, not sure what the spot was. it was in between two large tree's, with an old split rail fence around it, the fence was decayed but the ground was raised about a foot inside it, anyone know what the spot might have been?? ?the items are? (horse shoe, lantern remains, wagon wheel part, 14 nails, various pieces of iron, and the item beside the horse shoe and wheel part dont know what it is yet.. so if anyone has any idea what it is please share. thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

neu

well i cant locate the house, i went up there yesterday to try and find it, i found a spot that it may be, but i cant be sure yet.
but this spot i found these items, there is a stone wall all the way around the area, the spot i found the items was dead center in it.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it was either a pasture area or a blacksmith shop. Hit any anvils yet? 8)

OP
OP
N

neu

im about to go back to the site and hit it again, this time with a white's spectrum xlt, hopefully i will have some nice stuff to show u guys tonight =]

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
The item next to the horse shoe, I believe to be an old blade out of and old time plane or scraper. It had handles on each end where the holes are. The old timers used this tool to scrape the bark off of logs when they were building cabins or whatever. You would grab the handles and pull the blade towards you so you could scrape or smooth the log. hope this helps. Earl

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
The item next to the horse shoe, I believe to be an old blade out of and old time plane or scraper. ?It had handles on each end where the holes are. ?The old timers used this tool to scrape the bark off of logs when they were building cabins or whatever. ?You would grab the handles and pull the blade towards you so you could scrape or smooth the log. ?hope this helps. ?Earl ?

R

Richard

Hello, just a tip, if you will photograph your finds against a more contrasting backround it will be easier to help with the identification. I carry a small white hand towel with me and use it as a backround when taking photos in the field, comes in handy to clean my hands between digs also.

Richard C.

OP
OP
N

neu

yeah, good point, i thought about that after i posted the pics, wish i had thought of it sooner :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread