1788 Massachusetts Colonial Copper

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Went back to the 1733-1800 site for a few hours...The deer flies were very bad...We hunted for about 3 hours..The first 2 1/2 hour turned up nothing but shotgun shells...And then this beauty popped out of the dirt...The condition is not that good but i was very happy with it...They dont turn up that often...It is my second...I consider myself very lucky to have found one...nevermind a second one :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• mass copper obv.jpg
    mass copper obv.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,071
  • mass copper rev.jpg
    mass copper rev.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,025
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sofaman36 said:
GL said:
Sofaman36 said:
That coin isn't a match to the one that was dug.. The bow and arrow are in the wrong hands.

Thank you! Lol I'm being completely ignored in this..

Well it doesn't look like copper so I think it's safe to say it's not an authentic coin.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Yeah don't see too many of those posted... Also like it was said, when you dig as many toasty coppers as we do, that one is good in my books! :icon_thumright:

Definitely! I find at least one toasty one per hunt it seems!

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for all the nice comments....It is a one cent coin... :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Sofaman36 said:
GL said:
Sofaman36 said:
That coin isn't a match to the one that was dug.. The bow and arrow are in the wrong hands.

Well it doesn't look like copper so I think it's safe to say it's not an authentic coin.

I thought it was a very nice button.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
Sofaman36 said:
GL said:
Sofaman36 said:

I thought it was a very nice button.

I did too at first glance, but I highly doubt the state seal would be different on a button. Steve... so what is it! :dontknow: The only thing that makes sense to me is some type of modern fantasy piece and the change was made because they had to.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
what are you guys talking about! its a mass cent! awesome find brian ! its on my want list. willy

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
dfx willy said:
what are you guys talking about! its a mass cent! awesome find brian ! its on my want list. willy
I'm not at alll sure why they're saying it's a fake either. Doing a Google image search shows the bow on the left & arrow on the right to be correct. The only picture I see of it the opposite is the one posted by Steve in PA and that appears to be a picture of a button, not a coin. IP you seem to know your coins. Why do you think this one is a fake ? Here is a pic Googled from the coinfacts website. What I can't find ANYWHERE is a picture showing them in the opposite hands. Steve in PA where did you get your picture from ? It seems to be causing a bit of confusion.

Attachments

• 1788_ma_cent_ryder_07_M_obv.jpg
    1788_ma_cent_ryder_07_M_obv.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,160

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
dfx willy said:
I'm not at alll sure why they're saying it's a fake either. Doing a Google image search shows the bow on the left & arrow on the right to be correct. The only picture I see of it the opposite is the one posted by Steve in PA and that appears to be a picture of a button, not a coin. IP you seem to know your coins. Why do you think this one is a fake ? Here is a pic Googled from the coinfacts website. What I can't find ANYWHERE is a picture showing them in the opposite hands. Steve in PA where did you get your picture from ? It seems to be causing a bit of confusion.

If the only picture posted that you see the opposite (and wrong) is Steve's item, wouldn't it make sense that is what we are talking about and nothing to do with Brian's coin? ;D

And like I said above the only thing that makes sense is it being a modern fantasy piece. Could be a coin, could be a button, but that doesn't matter.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Iron Patch said:
NHBandit said:
dfx willy said:

If the only picture posted that you see the opposite (and wrong) is Steve's item, wouldn't it make sense that is what we are talking about and nothing to do with Brian's coin? ;D

And like I said above the only thing that makes sense is it being a modern fantasy piece. Could be a coin, could be a button, but that doesn't matter.
I guess if you were a little more specific about which picture you were talking about all would have been clear. Since there were only 2 pics posted at that point (the coin that was found & the mystery pic posted by Steve it was an easy thing to get confused about which one you were calling a fake. Oh and your pajamas are scaring my dog... :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
Iron Patch said:
NHBandit said:
dfx willy said:

I guess if you were a little more specific about which picture you were talking about all would have been clear. Since there were only 2 pics posted at that point (the coin that was found & the mystery pic posted by Steve it was an easy thing to get confused about which one you were calling a fake. Oh and your pajamas are scaring my dog... :laughing9:

If you look at my second post I quote two posts, the top which talks about the reverse situation going on. For anyone who thought we were somehow calling Brian's coin fake, they should have read through the thread, and not just picked things up half way and assumed. As you say there was only two images posted so I don't really know how someone could guess wrong. :-X

The threads make the man! :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
umrgolf2010 said:
:o :o :o Sorry, but I have to disagree about the condition :laughing7: When you dig as many toasted coppers as we do, you appreciate the ones that look like that :icon_thumleft: That is a thing of beauty Brian :hello2: :hello2:

:icon_thumleft: agreed

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice one! i only dug one so far and mine was toasted,but enough to identify,looks like mine was in a fire.
congrats to you!

russellt

Jul 15, 2010
athens GA
Detector(s) used
whites V3--dfx, dx1--p2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice old copper , we dont get much of that in the south .. truly nice

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
The pic that is rounded looks like a button or something. I googled Massachusetts Copper Cent and found this:
1788_ma_cent_ryder_10_L_obv.jpg

This one is different and looks domed:
index.php

The OPs coin looks authentic, the domed one does not. Sorry for the confusion.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
that's a Great Mass Copper Find! Congrats! :thumbsup:
Isn't there a rare variety that does have bow in left hand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread