Any tips on how to return a found wedding ring?

G

GKMOM

Hi, I am new here. Years ago - around 1982, my parents found a wedding band while snorkling in Hawaii. Back then they had no idea how to go about finding the owner. We found the ring recently and realized it might be possible with the internet today. Anyway, the ring has an inscription with a husband's name and the wedding date. I found one website that lists lost and found items, but do any of you have any other ideas? It would be pretty amazing if we could return it after all these years.

Thanks!
Amy

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have a name and date,start there.I believe marraige licenses are public information.Of course you would have to do a state by state search.If he's not an american then you will have a problem.GOOD LUCK :)P.S.-they're probably divorced by know,the odds are in favor of it :D

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The odds of finding the original owner(s) is pretty slim.? Chances are the loser was on vacation, and could be from anywhere.? Marriage records would be the way to go, but you'd have to look at every county through the US, and like Diggumup said, they might have been from some other country.

I have a few inscribed wedding bands-- one I found only 2-3 months after the inscribed wedding date!? They probably lost it on their honeymoon, which is pretty sad...? but chasing down one name with a date would be a serious undertaking.? Even if you find a match, it could be coincidental, and you'd need to get a description from them to verify its really theirs.

Once I found a ring inscribed with both first names and a 1938 wedding date!? That was before I even had a metal detector, and what got me into it.? That ring was close to 60 years old, and no telling if the couple were even still alive.? Still, I called a few TV stations and asked if they would do a 'special interest' story, since they might have the resources to do a thorough search, and it would have been so neat to return the ring on their 60th anniversary.? I was so sad for them when I found it, but the stations all declined.? I am still in awe when I look at that ring with the history of the marriage and the loss, and my finding it was as close to a magical experience as I've ever had.? Here's a picture of it...

OP
OP
G

GKMOM

Ohhh - marriage license records are a good idea - but what a massive job! Since the ring was found in Hawaii I bet the couple was on vacation - also it only has the husbands name. Still, with the exact wedding date maybe... Can you find marriage records online? I have two little girls with another on the way, this may be too much work. But my dad recently passed away and I thought it was so cool he had saved that ring all these years, so maybe I will give it a shot, he would have loved to return it. The couple was married in 1972, 32 years this year, maybe they are still together! I'll let you know if I find anyting.

Amy

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's a link to a neat site with a lost and found listing for rings and links to other lost and found sites. http://ringkeeper.com/FoundRings.htm
Does seem like a gargantuan task finding the ring in the big vacation hotspot. It could be from almost anywhere. Good luck and happy hunting!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Just tell him you've found somebody new. Worked well for my ex. LOL. Seriously if the name is at all unusual you can go to switchboard.com and do a search. If there are only a few listed then send them each a postcard and ask them to describe anything they lost in Hawaii in whatever year. Probably cost you less than a buck to track down the owner if still alive. exanimo, ss

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An alternative route might be to find out which island the ring was found on. Get a listing of all hotels there, and a listing of everyone who stayed there for the year or so prior to the ring being found. You might get lucky.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Google the name. I did this recently with just a first name of each one of a couple that was printed in a ring.
Found them instantly because the names were weird enough.
www.Google.com has a ton of info. Try googling your name.
I bet if labrat tried this he might even get some new leads on that wedding ring!!
8)

OP
OP
G

GKMOM

Thanks everyone,

I tried the Google thing, but I only have the husband's first name and the wedding date. I couldn't find anything. I am going to check that other ring link right now. My mom doesn't remember which hotel they were at, but she thinks if she looks back at her pictures she can figure it out. We'll see!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LarosnMullalyTresureHunte said:
have you tried contacting a reporter? :read2:

Welcome to T-Net...now, you realize that there are posts that are not 7 years old, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread