new finds at 18th century house site

N

neu

found these items a few minutes ago. i think im narrowing down the barn/pasture area's =] all i seem to be finding has to do with livestock.? pictured here (4 horse shoe halves, 1 unidentified piece of iron, cant pin point exactly what this buckle type item is,
and a stirrup.? ? if any one could tell me what these 2 unidentified things are i would really appreciate it.
thank you.

Upvote 0

trgams

Apr 21, 2003
Columbia, SC, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
the unidentified item (big flat piece of iron) looks like a lawnmower blade......dosn't look too old to me....the buckle looking thing, I'm not too certain of, but looks horse related, possibly part of a bridle? Good-Luck.

oops, the iron item is much too short to be a lawnmower blade, your guess is as good as mine!!! :) Good-Luck

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
i think the flat piece of iron could possibly be part of a door strap or just part of a metel starp used fror strapping wood and i belive the buckel is probly a newer buckle newer then the time period just well caroded could be part of a bridle could of been for maybe a canvas type bag

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the horseshoe halves are actually ox shoes. They have cloven hooves so their shoes look like horse shoes chopped in half.

Kent

OP
OP
N

neu

good point, didnt even think about that, thanks for the info.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Well, actually riding mowers usually have 3 blades, and some of them are pretty short. Hard to tell exactly how big the thing you found is.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good to see you're getting the big stuff out of the way. Now get back out there and get introduced to the billions of bits of barbed wire! Looks like a guide for a small tiller or a walking tractor next to that buckle. The buckle appears to be about 3 to 4 inches across so some strapping of one kind of or another more likely than clothing. Perhaps a horse strap of some kind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread