Any way to clean up a buffalo nickel?

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Nickles don't fare well underground, You can make more presentable by soaking it in hot sauce or ketchup.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best method I found to clean nickels that are NOT key dates, and just common date nickels is the put in a coin tumbler with smooth stones, a little water and a bit of dishsoap. Tumble it for 15 minutes check it and if not clean up repeat. I never liked the soaking in ketchup method, it is the vinegar in ketchup that does the cleaning and it always seems to give the coin a pitted appearance. I have tried lime a way, ketchup, plain vinegar etc....and I still prefer the tumble method.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had decent results with worcestershire sauce , but keep an eye on it because it is a bit
corrosive (or acidic) Question - have any of you tried electrolysis with nickels ???

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXDIRTFISHER said:
do an internet search for....nick a date
nick a date makes nickels look horrible it will make your nickel a very dull ugly gray color. If you like that look then fine, but the tumble method will work much better

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just use water and get the loose dirt off it and leave it as is, i know how you feel I get finds sometimes that i carry around the house with me for days looking at it over and over. hh

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some I have done using the tumbler method, a before and after V nickel, and an after only buffalo, I forget to get before pic, you can see I tumbled the V nickel longer till the gray color came back, I only tumbled the buff for about 15 min so it still has some reddish tink to it, but they both look way nicer than when they came out of the ground, the last pic is an extremely corroded V nickel I found in a field, I experimented with lime a way with this nickel, did not turn out too bad considering how it first looked.

Attachments

• limeaway nickel.jpg
    limeaway nickel.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,572
  • 1908 V nickel before and after.jpg
    1908 V nickel before and after.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,923
  • 1936 buff.JPG
    1936 buff.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,696
  • limeaway nickel.jpg
    limeaway nickel.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,315

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
wet the nickel and put dry baking soda on it and rub it good with ur thumb or whatever :icon_pirat:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently found a very corroded buffalo nickel and no visible date. A friend told me to try vinegar and salt mixture. I will do a before and after picture when I do it and see how well it works. If it works ok I will post results. If not it will be added to my old coin pile.

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
DO NOT do this to valuable coins, this is for common date coins. A lot of people know about using vinegar and salt and has been around for years and works very well for removing the crud and the red color on dug nickels. It will usually bring back the date on dateless Buffalo's but it leaves the coin a dull gray color.

Attachments

• Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Untitled-6.jpg
    Untitled-6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,292

budrow

Feb 15, 2010
How much vinegar and salt do you use at one time? And does it work on dimes and pennys? :dontknow: Never tried it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread