BINGO!! - The Netherlands maps were right - Double Gold

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hello all,

Still in the Netherlands for the summer. Trip half way over today. Then it's back to the US for RW and CW stuff around Charleston, SC.

Most of the time, I put in all the time and effort to do good research and I turn left when I should have turned right. I choose the field NEXT to the one I should have. I wind up too late and hear about what somebody found. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I knew the ground was old and thought it was a place where people had conducted some activity for quite a long time. I knew there were interesting things to find but I NEVER expected this.

Yesterday, I decided to take off the WOT coil and use the regular coil in a somewhat trashy spot. Lots of iron blanked signals and a lot of rust signals that I would have to dig. A lot of rusted iron had already come out of the place. Those signals that sound good but as you dig, they turn bad.

I was searching through the area and hearing the iron blanking and then got a signal that was good but strange. Not very strong for the depth estimate. Sort of the "Beep, Beep" you get with some buckles or odd shaped things but different. The signal had no "open" sound like you get when there is a hole in the object. Just a weird sound. It was a good signal swinging at 90 degrees but it would sort of "Beep/Beep" one way and "Beep" the other. Hard to describe - especially with the sounds an e-Trac makes. It was more or less indicative of trash but not really. I played around in the area a bit and came back to it. The signal was one I sometimes walk away from but the numbers on the e-Trac never changed. I had traveled this far and was standing over it. Hard ground or not, I had to dig it.

I took the grass plug out and set it aside. Thing still in the hole. More digging. Still in the hole. The ground was dry but got a little more moist as I hit about 8" as there is a water table in these fields. Right before I hit the mud, the dirt hitting the small pile disintegrated and left this on the top of the pile. I picked it up, dropped all my stuff - headphones, detector, shovel, pin pointer, hat, lunch, and walked all the way across the field to my pack where I had a camera. This was something that I had to have a picture of.

This was the "Beep, Beep". The one place in all the fields shown on the maps and in these pictures where there were two coins sort of stuck together. True heart attack time.

Gotta love the old ground.

Sometimes it not all bad being a blind pig.

Daryl

Attachments

• 2GoldHand.jpg
    2GoldHand.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,412
  • Both2.jpg
    Both2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,395
  • Both3.jpg
    Both3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5,357
  • Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5,495
  • Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,827
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,918
Upvote 1
OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Ok here goes.

First - Learn Dutch ;D

No not really. It is different over here. I have access to ways to find things we can only dream about in the US. The Dutch have been drawing maps for a long time. And they have made them available on the internet so you can find out where things used to be. The site is even called "watwaswaar.nl" and you can see modern day maps and old maps that are of the same place.

So here goes a REAL example. I can use it because I'm the only one with permission to search there and the guy that lives in the big house right next to the field WILL call the police on you. So I feel that this site is OK to show.

Here are a series of maps that show how it works.

After you know the place you want more information about, go to watwaswaar.nl and find the place Photo 1. The map shows a softball field so it is easy to see where I am talking about - Photo 2. You can then see it from Google Map as well - Photo 3.

Then you can put your cursor on the watwaswaar map and click to get an old map. This one is from the 1700's - Photo 4. You then can match the path of the canal - they don't change much and find the place you are looking for. The place I am searching is the little circle under the word "Sloot."

If you notice - Photo 5 - the house that is there now is on the right side of the little piece of canal that goes north. This other place is on the left. So it was there in the 1700's but gone now. That's where you want to search. You can tell where it was by the iron crap in the ground and all the pottery the plow brings up.

That's how it's done.

And it WORKS!

Daryl

Attachments

• Search1.jpg
    Search1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,730
  • Search2.jpg
    Search2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,719
  • Search6.jpg
    Search6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,687
  • Search5.jpg
    Search5.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,679
  • Search3.jpg
    Search3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,673

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Daryl, great research and coins. They are also in great condition. I guess it shook you up seeing them for the first time for many many years. You are finally making out ok, and that is also great! Best of luck.

Earl

Piepstokloper

Dec 12, 2009
Groningen
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola Modified and Tesoro Cibola Hollandia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, gold coins are allways pleasand to find.
The Netherlands is the place to dig folks.
Dug it up, dig it up. :hello2:

That area you,v found your coins is a very old place were rich folks used to life in the 16th and 17th century. :icon_thumleft:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find. Will you have any problem bringing them back into the States? Through customs, etc. ?

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TooManyHobbies said:
Congrats on the find. Will you have any problem bringing them back into the States? Through customs, etc. ?
The laws in NL are different than England or some other european lands. There is nothing to keep you from taking a couple of coins out of the country. I can't imagine that the USA has any problem either if someone brings two gold coins into the country, maybe 10,000 would cause some fuss though. Some lands in Europe forbid everything but not NL. I could also not see how customs can see that you have two gold coins in your wallet......

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Daryl sorry I missed this :o I was away sunning myself while you were finding stunning Gold coins....you lucky bugger :laughing9:

SS

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds on the gold coins--talk about dreams coming true.

All the best,

Lanny

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta Love The trade Ducats !!
Great Awesome Spectacular Finds !!
Research is the Key

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
You bet. And where did you get yours. Living in New Hampshire I would think that would be REALLY tough.

Daryl

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings,
I Have been searching the mudflats around Portsmouth NH,
as posted, dug my wide circle around penny hit, & ducat on the side of hole.
(with a nice ding in the edge from my shovel)
Asking in Historic societies, and libraries.
Also, Driving the coastal rivers, you can spot the remains of boatyards.
Have been pulling a large number of asst relics from these areas.
It's my belief that the coin I found was on it's way to Ceylon, when the ship stopped to provision in Portsmouth, a pilfered coin was lost, but only for a couple hundred years, Best Wishes, & Happy Hunting. Herbie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions