Key Date 1877 Indian Head Cent...... Lightning strikes again!

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
Last November, I dug an 1877 IH cent while using my X-TERRA 705. I figured that would be a "once in a lifetime" event. Tonight, I went to a place that I'd hunted a couple times in the past. Once with the X-TERRA and once with the E-TRAC. On those trips, I'd found one Wheat penny with the X-TERRA and one IH with the E-TRAC. Tonight, using the E-TRAC with the stock coil, I set up with an open screen and began the hunt. As my typical fashion, I will find a "good target" with one group of settings, then switch to others, just to see how they compare. I know some of you think that is nuts. But that is how I learn what settings work best for me, in the sites I hunt. Anyway, I had just switched back to 2-tone ferrous when I got a high ferrous tone surrounded by low tones. Being a high tone in ferrous 2-tone, I knew the ferrous reading would be 17 or less. A quick look at the TID confirmed the target was a 12-35. Switching to the Conductive mode, open screen, multiple tone, I got the high conductive tone with the same TID of 12 - 35. For the record, I also checked the target in a modified Coin Program, and got the high conductive tone. But not as distinct as in the open screen modes. After pinpointing the "good" target, I dug a plug about 6 inches deep. Scanning the plug, I determined the target was still in the hole. I probed the area with my SunRay probe and gently removed another 3 inches of dirt. Out popped an Indian Head cent. I have to admit, I use to stick all the IH cents in my bag until I got home. But ever since finding that 1877 last fall, I always check the dates! I carefully wiped away some of the dirt and saw the last number of the date was a 7. Getting a little excited, I wet it down and wiped the dirt from the remainder of the date. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest when I saw the 1877 on this one. I didn't even stay and hunt. I went back to the truck and tried to take some pictures. I hadn't changed the camera from the last time I used it in video mode, and was so excited I couldn't figure out how to change the settings, I got in the truck and drove home for my other camera.

Attached you will find a picture of how it looked as it come out of the ground. A picture of it and the one I found last November, and had slabbed (didn't want you to think this was the same coin as I found last November) and one after I rinsed this one off. I still need to soak some of the dirt off. But based on what I can see so far, it is even better condition than the one I found last year. And the coin shop insured it for $2300.00 when he sent it to be graded. After I get the rest of the dirt off, I'm headed back to the coin shop to have this one sent in too. Maybe this time I'll send it to NCG as I understand they will assign a grade to dug copper coins. PCGS charged me $70 to certify the other one was "authentic".

Sorry if I sound all excited. But I had hunted for 37 years and never found an 1877 IH cent. Now I've found two of them in a little over 8 months. What are the odds? Thanks for looking. HH Randy

Attachments

• 1877 IH cent as dug July 15 2010.JPG
    1877 IH cent as dug July 15 2010.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 1877 found July 2010 and 1877 found Nov 2009 and slabbed.JPG
    1877 found July 2010 and 1877 found Nov 2009 and slabbed.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,566
  • 1877 IH cent found July 15 2010.JPG
    1877 IH cent found July 15 2010.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,013
Upvote 0

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously hope you are buying lottery tickets...what are the odds????? Man that is crazy..congrats big time!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Wow, very cool! I think you should go buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!

I think NGC would provide a "details" grade, so it would be a generic "VF details" rather than the standard "VF25" etc. It would be a step above PCGS's "Genuine" designation.

I found this picture useful to determining the different designations. The 1877 above has a 97 designation.

Things happen in threes, so go find that third one!

Attachments

• pcgsnograde.jpg
    pcgsnograde.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,685

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great 2 1877 IH's in less then a year. You are on a roll maybe you can find the 3rd.....Matt

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great finding two 1877 Indian Head Cents. Got to be one more there or a gold coin.
I found a 1877 Indian Head Cent last year. :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get the awesome award from me to you. :notworthy: Heck I was happy with my 1879..I missed it by 2 years. You have dug 2..You da man... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments. And thanks testing 123 for the info that 97 meant environmental damage. I didn't get any information back from PCGS other than it was authentic, and they don't assign values for dug copper due to what they call corrosion. (I call it patina). Thanks again. HH Randy

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Like the others said you should buy a lottery ticket. :thumbsup:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
that is cool! i found one last year. as far as ncg is concerned there a guy woody from the whites forum that had problems. check it out its on there now and i forget the heading but you will see it. thats were i was going to send mine but i dont think its going anywere now. willy

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for this being a rare coin, there sure are alot of them found,...so it seems anyway :thumbsup:

I a THr

Greenie
Jan 2, 2005
SW Iowa
Randy, Another excellent find!! Congrats.. Yep 48 more and you'll have a roll, HA. Unbelievable to find 1 but 2 within 8 months???? That's going to be a hard thing for me to beat... :icon_thumright:
Brother Bill

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Save some of those for the rest of us.

Congratulations on another great find.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wow, that's incredible. If you guys keep pulling 1877's they'll be worth about the same as a 1964 memorial cent.
One is good, but 2 are always welcome.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Digger,

What did the slabbed one grade out to ?

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
The one I found last November and had slabbed was Certified as Authentic by PCGS. Unfortunately, they did not assign a number grade to it, due to the Patina (which they consider corrosion on a dug copper). However, the coin shop that sent it in for me considered it to be a VF, just short of 40. That was the reason they insured it for $2300.00 when they sent it in. I am considering sending this one to a different organization. I'd heard that NCG will assign a letter grade for dug coppers, but may not include the number for the same reason. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. HH Randy

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, im starting to think those 1877's arnt so rare..... :)

Excellent find, glad you got struck twice.

OP
OP
Digger USA

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Finding two of them in 8 months makes it seem as if they aren't all that rare. But then again, it took me almost 38 years to find that first one! Regardless, I do like what the Red Book has to say about the value. HH Randy

Attachments

• 2010 Red Book 1877 IH cent0001.jpg
    2010 Red Book 1877 IH cent0001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,083

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Digger: First of all... Congratulations! Secondly... I'm SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread