I Finally made it to the old farms area........Pics too

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, the snow has finally melted in the area with all of the old abandoned farms (well, most of it melted). The ground is still pretty frozen, but I did find some workable areas in the town park. I found a lot of clad, and most of it was hauled off to the corner store by my daughter to buy candy & pop with. I did well with the old coins too. The oldest was a 1890 Indian penny in good condition. It was also one of the first targets of the day, so needless to say I was all wound up right off the bat! I did very well on the silver with a Walking liberty half, mercury dimes, as well as some silver roosevelt's & Washington quarters, and a handful of Wheaties. I will get pics of the coins posted tonight after I clean them up a little (plus I'm short on time right now) I also found a few cool relics....a very fancy looking thingy that keeps the lamp shade on the lamp , and a mortise lock assembly with plates & door knob. This park has got to be virgin ground, there is no way someone with a detector could have missed those coins. These finds came from just a small section I worked (I like to use the grid style of hunting, overlapping my sweeps) A friend of mine is the city administrator of this town, and his cousin is the mayor (not a big job in such a tiny town) Both have given me the green light on anywhere I want to go. They also said that private residences shouldn't be a problem either because they will put a good word around town for me. Across form the park use to stand a second hotel that use to have a dated cornerstone with "1899" on it, but it was just torn down this past week. The owner of the property was there working, and told me that I should be able to detect there by Wednesday. I can't do it now because they are still checking for any electrical hazards. There is a sunken garden in the park that is where the livery stable use to be. My friend highly recommends this spot because he has found a lot of old coins there when he use to maintain the park. He found them while installing the sprinklers for the flower beds in the sunken garden . He used a water hose to wash the remaining dirt back down, and that is how he found the coins. We left the park after about an hour or so to do some exploring. We found a few more old farm sites, and an old dump. The dump was loaded with old bottles & stuff. I didn't have any gloves, and didn't want my 5 year old daughter digging in the glass, so we will come prepared next weekend. Hope you all enjoy the pictures......I will get coin pics posted tonight.

Paul

PS
Almost forgot! We found this funny looking thing in a field that is made out of brick.....any ideas on what it is?

Attachments

• waterville 001 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 001 (Medium).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 516
  • waterville 002 (Large).jpg
    waterville 002 (Large).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 503
  • waterville 003 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 003 (Medium).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks guys! Being that I drive through that town at least once a week, I will leave an hour ,or two early, and hit ti every chance I get.......Plus I will get my all day hunts on the weekend. Needless to say, I am pretty stoked about this area. I have known about it for a long time, and have posted a lot of pics in the recent past. Now the snow has finally melted!!!

The brick oven looking thingy has a bunch of rusted cans, rocks, & broken bottles in it. Would have been cool to see a missile inside!! We do have a number of missile silo's in the area, some active, but most abandoned. I will try to get some pics of one posted soon.

Here is an inside pic of the brick thingy...........

Attachments

• waterville 014 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 014 (Medium).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 177

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul,

Thanks for the tour of Waterville. Looks like great treasures will be found. I really like that old tractor. Good luck!

HH :)
RR

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
WOW, Paul :o
Sounds like you're 'cleaning up' before you even get started! Sooooooo much area to cover, there's got to be a ton of targets wanting to be rescued :D
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions