I Finally made it to the old farms area........Pics too

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well, the snow has finally melted in the area with all of the old abandoned farms (well, most of it melted). The ground is still pretty frozen, but I did find some workable areas in the town park. I found a lot of clad, and most of it was hauled off to the corner store by my daughter to buy candy & pop with. I did well with the old coins too. The oldest was a 1890 Indian penny in good condition. It was also one of the first targets of the day, so needless to say I was all wound up right off the bat! I did very well on the silver with a Walking liberty half, mercury dimes, as well as some silver roosevelt's & Washington quarters, and a handful of Wheaties. I will get pics of the coins posted tonight after I clean them up a little (plus I'm short on time right now) I also found a few cool relics....a very fancy looking thingy that keeps the lamp shade on the lamp , and a mortise lock assembly with plates & door knob. This park has got to be virgin ground, there is no way someone with a detector could have missed those coins. These finds came from just a small section I worked (I like to use the grid style of hunting, overlapping my sweeps) A friend of mine is the city administrator of this town, and his cousin is the mayor (not a big job in such a tiny town) Both have given me the green light on anywhere I want to go. They also said that private residences shouldn't be a problem either because they will put a good word around town for me. Across form the park use to stand a second hotel that use to have a dated cornerstone with "1899" on it, but it was just torn down this past week. The owner of the property was there working, and told me that I should be able to detect there by Wednesday. I can't do it now because they are still checking for any electrical hazards. There is a sunken garden in the park that is where the livery stable use to be. My friend highly recommends this spot because he has found a lot of old coins there when he use to maintain the park. He found them while installing the sprinklers for the flower beds in the sunken garden . He used a water hose to wash the remaining dirt back down, and that is how he found the coins. We left the park after about an hour or so to do some exploring. We found a few more old farm sites, and an old dump. The dump was loaded with old bottles & stuff. I didn't have any gloves, and didn't want my 5 year old daughter digging in the glass, so we will come prepared next weekend. Hope you all enjoy the pictures......I will get coin pics posted tonight.

Paul

PS
Almost forgot! We found this funny looking thing in a field that is made out of brick.....any ideas on what it is?

Attachments

• waterville 001 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 001 (Medium).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 516
  • waterville 003 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 003 (Medium).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 510
  • waterville 002 (Large).jpg
    waterville 002 (Large).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
more pics

Attachments

• waterville 006 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 006 (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 480
  • waterville 005 (Large).jpg
    waterville 005 (Large).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 489
  • waterville 004 (Large).jpg
    waterville 004 (Large).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 495
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
more pics

Attachments

• waterville 010 (Small).jpg
    waterville 010 (Small).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 460
  • waterville 009 (Small).jpg
    waterville 009 (Small).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 466
  • waterville 007 (Large).jpg
    waterville 007 (Large).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 467
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
still more pics.........

Attachments

• waterville 022 (Large).jpg
    waterville 022 (Large).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 444
  • waterville 020 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 020 (Medium).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 438
  • waterville 013 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 013 (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 458
OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
last ones for now. Notice the other abandond farm in the background on the left side of the pic?

Attachments

91.2 KB · Views: 440
  • waterville 018 (Large).jpg
    waterville 018 (Large).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 441
    91.2 KB · Views: 439
  • waterville 015 (Medium).jpg
    waterville 015 (Medium).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 426

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Some great pictures of Waterville. Did you check out the fairgrounds? I think the fairgrounds might be good too. But I guess with these sites you will be pretty busy finding some awesome things.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Now I am homesick for WA.

Cheryl

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful sites Paul!!! Congrats on those finds too!

Good luck to you!

;)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Paul!

Looks like you & your daughter had a great day. The IH is a nice find too. It would sure get me going. Hope to have a LOT of time soon. We'll get together for a hunt soon.
Spotz

Whitewings

Nov 23, 2005
Paul,, I havent been in Waterville in 10 years, I can see i need to go east of the mountains. I got my permits for city and county parks here but so far not much just some clad and lots of aluminum foil. I am still having fun, good luck.

Bill, out in the rain forest in soggy P.A.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
looks like you have your entire hunting season already planned out -- bit jealous over here -- keep us posted !! :) :o :o

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Bill, let me know when your ready to step out from under that rain cloud called "Seattle" , and I will make some arrangements to hunt more of these farms......there are more of them then one person could ever cover.

Paul

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's quite an area...kind of a detectorist's dream...and you know all the right people...can it get any better than that? Wish you the best of luck out there Paul. Keep us posted.

HH!
TBGO

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
hey Paul...did you look down in the brick thing and see a missle tip...looks like it might have been a silo ;D

Great looking location.

Dave

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Pics are way 8)! Good luck and best of luck hunting those old sites! There's enough there to keep ya' busy for a looooooooong time, ;).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread