Big Lead Square Nail??? Any Ideas???

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, back again to the Red Brick house, and this is the first weekend that neither my father-in-law or I got a large cent from the place. I did manage to scrape up a couple of little finds.

2 Flat buttons, some more modern pants buttons and what not. A small piece of fired lead. An iron buckle, and the very oddball, gigantic lead square nail. I have never heard or seen anyone dig a lead nail and let alone being this big ???. It was a good 8 inches down under a rock. The small end reads in as a 12-22 and the fatter end reads a 12-36. It looks like maybe the very tip of the nail is missing. The nail is over 5 inches long and weighs 4 oz.

If anyone has an idea about this nail, let me know. Keep'em Swinging.

Attachments

• Lead nail 001.JPG
    Lead nail 001.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 626
  • Lead nail 003.JPG
    Lead nail 003.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 534
  • Lead nail 005.JPG
    Lead nail 005.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 560
  • Lead nail 008.JPG
    Lead nail 008.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it's lead and not brass, copper, or bronze. Looks like what we call ship spikes but I am not sure if that's actually their use. At least not 100%. anyway.

OP
OP
DeArmitt Pa

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Positive its lead, I bent it by accident pulling it out of the hole and bent it back straight with my hands.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeArmitt Pa said:
Positive its lead, I bent it by accident pulling it out of the hole and bent it back straight with my hands.

I know the majority we have found aren't lead, but I have a feeling at least a few over the years may have been. It does look exactly the same as the non lead ones we find.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a lead square nail a touch smaller than that once that had an iron nail inside of it. Never figured out what it might have been used for, but it crossed my mind that if one were nailing into masonry, perhaps the lead would be driven into the hole around the iron and get a better grab. an early molly bolt, of sorts, i suppose. doesn't look as though yours has any iron in it, though, which makes my last thought a little tangential.
cool find, nonetheless!

unearthed

Nov 29, 2008
Yellow Tavern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Wilson R&C III, Minelab Safari, X-Terra 70, Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds; looks like you're on to a good site. Hit it again. I think the lead nail under a rock is a
survey marker. We still use lead to mark points in concrete sidewalks, no muss no fuss if you know
what I mean.

HH
UNEARTHED

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread