Almost threw in the towel

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost gave it all up today. Not just hunting for the day, but metal detecting in general, :( I've been hunting with a Bounty Hunter Tracker II for about 2 weeks now, and the best I've found thus far after hunting park after park after park was some clad, and some trash. I decided today after doing some research to go to a nearby lake and hope for something better. I figured a lake would be a great place to go, espically with all the hot weather we have been having as of late (It doesnt get hot often in Oregon, and when it does, people take advantage). I got up early this morning, and made the drive out to the lake, paid my day use fee and went off hunting. 4 hours later, I had one small piece of trash, and enough rocks to fill my drive way. The top soil at the lake is only about an inch thick. Below that, 3 inches of 3/4- fill rock. Packing up, and considering calling it a day, I went out of the lake area, but decided to hit a small town school thanks in part to my fiances encouragement that since I was so close, I might as well hit it. Within 5 minutes of being at the school, I was afraid I was going to find more rock, as my first attempted signal was again nothing but rocks. I turned on my heels, swinging the detector and getting ready to shut it off when it beeped at me again. Not really expecting much, I went ahead and dug it, and this is what popped out at me

First Silver!.jpg

First Silver!!!!
Im glad I didnt give up, just hope my lack of luck starts to get better from here on out. HH all! Thanks for the look

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'm glad you didn't give up either.

Nice ring! Your fiance is enjoying it as well, I'm sure.

Let us on TNet know what part of Oregon you are in. We can help you. Been searching for 40 years, and REsearching longer than that. Hunting certain lakes and streams in Oregon will help you find some interesting things.

And those hot rocks you were finding? They may be more than just "hot". While some basalt in Oregon does have enough iron content to react as metal to a detector, there are also a lot of meteorites waiting to be found here. There is probably a meteorite within a mile of you, no matter what part of the US you are in. But finding it is going to take some skills.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Mez! Dude! I'm glad you didn't give up and chuck the detecting all together. I know I've had my share of frustrating days but it is a learning curve you know. I don't know how long you've been detecting, or how long you've used your Bounty Hunter, but it takes time to get to know your equipment and how to use it. Personally, and I'm not dogging the Bounty Hunter line mind you, but I never had much of anything BUT frustration with the one I have. Many years Ago I bought a little cheapy detector from Radio Shack... *GASP* Yeah... Radio Shack! Well, good equipment or not, I didn't know squat about how to use it and when I tried I got nothing but discouraged and it ended up in the back of the closet for years and years. Flash forward to about 5 years ago... I was kind of bitten, or at least nibbled a bit, by the detecting bug again and decided that I needed a far better detector than that old RS dinky toy... that was given away or thrown away I don't remember really. Anyway, I saw what I thought was a very good detector for sale, on sale actually, at Wal-Mart. That was the Bounty Hunter. WooHoo.. look at all the nobs and switches and lights and indicators! This thing has GOT TO ROCK! RIght? Well, you are finding the rocks and garbage just like I did. Discouraging to say the least. I will add this though, you *DID* find SILVER with yours! <grumbling jealously> No, I still have my Bounty Hunter as well, and I've loaned it out a time or two to friends who wanted to go detecting with me, so I guess it's still earning it's keep. But about the only other good thing that the BH did for me was to make me want to seek out a GOOD machine that I could use and that would let me find the good stuff... coins... relics... bling. I did some research on the old internet and came up with a line from White's Metal Detectors, the Prizm series machines. Perportedly one of the easiest machines to learn to use and it is litterally ready to use straight out of the box. Some easy assembly, turn it on and get turned on for life! I opted for the Prizm IV model. It was about three times what I paid for the old Bounty Hunter, but brother was it ever worth it! Ten minutes after I got home... well... okay, maybe thirty minutes But only because I watched the brief tutorial movies online... I was in my back yard and detecting. What's more is that I was FINDING STUFF!. Talk about user friendly. This detector tells you what the target is (or close enough to be right most of the time) and how deep it is <aproximately>.
Long story short, in six months time I had found enough clad (coins) to repay what I spent for the machine. In a years time I had paid for the machine three times over, and here some four plus years later... and hours and hours of enjoyment and learning later I've recovered the price of the detector what? Eight, Nine, Ten times over? I put my found money into what my wife calls the "vacation fund" or the "kitty". We've paid for hotel stays at the beach, not to mention all my batteries, gas going and coming from detecting outtings, snacks... etc etc. And that's not even counting the Silver... And GOLD! I've found along the way. Rings mostly, but some other jewelry and trinkets mixed in. I've found loads of other treasures too, but the best thing I've found is peace of mind.. or is that Piece of mind? I don't know, I lost my mind years ago... trying to use that old Bounty Hunter I have! <laughing>

Dude! What I'm saying is that it's NOT YOU! Well... okay, it might be partly you... I mean we all don't pick up a detector and suddenly become experts with it as if by magic, we *DO* have to learn a thing or two first. But why be hard on yourself for no reason. I commend you for your dilligence and perserverance plugging away with your machine. You already know that it pays to keep trying.... again... NICE RING MAN! <smile> But if you have the opportunity, or desire to expand your horizons in this hobby. Look to add another machine to your repitoir (your equipment collection). If nothing else, you'd still have the BH as a back-up or as a second machine for the missus, or a friend to use. I of course, would recomend something I'm a fan of, the White's Prizm series, but there are other equally easy to use and reliable detectors out there that aren't all that expensive. Money can't buy you love, or happiness, but it can make it a little easier to find. And you'll be finding LOTS of money and stuff trust me! Maybe a small portion of a tax refund or a Christmas Bonus, or a Birthday Check from Gramma.. or selling that ring.. <shrug> Think of it as an investment that will pay you back over and over and over again.
Or... you can keep using your Bounty Hunter, which you obviously must have some skill with by now.... I mean look at that RING! <grin> And just save whatever coin you do find till you want to try something else. Either way, Keep swingin'! and Stay Happy!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

p.s. Do you have or use a pin pointer? OMG! YOU *HAVE* to have a PinPointer! I have litterally turned back around after going detecting only to find that I've left my Bullseye at home. <shaking head sadly> Do some research on White's Electronics (detectors) Most bundles come with a pinpointer when you buy a detector. not sure about other makes.. Maybe Garrets? Good luck!

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Mez! :thumbsup: Don't give up. If you find metal detecting enjoyable as I do, then keep at it. It's relaxing for me but at times it can seem like work. Its just like everything every other hobby you can get into. It involves a little luck, a little skill (getting to know what your machine is telling you) and a little research. Homework pays off.
You keep it up, and more good things will come.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
Only 2 weeks and you have a silver ring ????? You have done very well indeed. :hello2:

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone about you giving up detecting. Whatever you do don't give up. We have all started the same way that you have, you know, finding trash, a coin, more trash, more trash and on and on and on. I remember the first signal I got when I first took out my detector. I was so excited just because the thing worked and I hadn't even dug what was in the ground. I remember that it was a piece of can slaw but to me it was the best treasure that I had ever found. That was 5 years ago and I haven't looked back nor do I intend to look back or give up. This is way to much fun to pass up, the outdoors, friends hunting with you and so on.
Keep at it Mez. We will all tell you that it gets better. You just have to get through the rough learning curve. Once you do, I guarantee that your attitude on detecting will change. Just wait for the "BUG" to bite you and won't look back!!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't give up. There is time I go for a month before I find something good. But then all that clad dose add up. Then has been weeks when I have hunted and all I find is around 5 or 6 dollars in clad. Then there is time I go out and find 4 or 5 rings in a day. So you never know when you will have a good day. So stay at it if you enjoy doing it. Great exercise and fresh air. Enjoy....Matt

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there markings on the inside of the ring ???? great find glad you didn't give up!!! HH Chug and Red

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I used to get so frustrated I wanted to throw my detector away. Persistance is the best skill you can have. Stay with it and do your research and the targets will come....albeit slow sometimes.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Welcome to the club.

I normally find a lot of junk with a few clad coins thrown in for good measure with the occasional ( and I do mean occasional) piece of jewlry. It comes with the territory. That is why they call it treasure hunting and not treasure finding. ;D

You will have to take a look at the sites you hunt. You might try local schools, they are good producers. Also if you can find some older homes and get permission you may find some older coins.

The local parks are good, but mostly for clad. Do not over look the grass/dirt parking areas.

Nice score on the ring.

HH

Ray S ECenFL

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the encoraging replys guys, it's quite the spirit lifter here. I knew this already but you guys are a great group of people. Only wish I could have the honor of meeting some of you face to face.

To answe a few questions. I don't have a Pinpointer yet, supposed to get here Wednesday. As for marks on the ring. There is a mark next to the .925 but I don't have a loop and can't make it out. It almost looks to be a square box with rounded corners and a / through it. Next thing I'm going to purchase is a loop just for this kind of thing. I'm going out on the river today with my family to a sandy island in the middle ofthe Columbia, hope I have some luck there. I'll post I'd I do! Again thanks all for the lifting words of encouragement

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
metal detecting can beat you up and wear you out, occasionally with little or nothing to show for it. what keeps you coming back is the memories of nice finds youve made in the past and the "what-ifs" of the future. i cant tell ya how many times i go out and the search is a bust. but metal detecting never leaves your blood, theres always "ill find something good next time".

bryguy5

May 26, 2010
Portland, OREGON
Detector(s) used
fisher CZ-5
Way to go! I'v been out to hagg. before too lots of clad, there is also a lot of area to search, there has to be somting good hiding under all that grass, well hopfully to atleast pay for the day use fee. lol.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, friend, I have been hunting for more than 30 years.....my grandpa turned me on to it.....on the Oregon Trail, just outside of Baker City.....found a metal something. I was hooked.
BUT.....just last weekend, in the nasty hot, humid weather of the Korean summer monsoon season, went out to a coin site where I had found 7 or 8 nice holed coins.....1679 to 1888 time frame. Well, hunted and dug rocks for about 6 hours.....only one coin, an aluminum coin not worth a plug nickle. Not finding anything happens.....but, finding something happens, too.
Keep at it. Do the research. I see where you had someone from Oregon wanting to touch bases with you, and take you along with them. DO IT!!! There's one of those guys you will be able to put flesh and bones too.
Keep us posted. We'll hip! hip! hooray! for you when you find your good'ens. :thumbsup:

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a follow up Mez. I have had plenty of days that I found nothing but a little clad. I started Md'ing just this past april with a bounty hunter pioneer 505. Its a great little machine (a quarter and dime magnet) dont care what anybody says about it. I found 3 silver coins with it (all in my yard at home) and have been hooked since. I just bought an etrac 6 weeks ago, and have been hoping to find my 1st merc dime. I have gone six weeks and found no silver with it, kind of discouraging since I supposedly just bought the best machine out there. I have to learn the etrac,its alot different than the bounty hunter, they do the same thing but tell ya in a different way. Well just this evening I went to a school yard (built in 1964) and within 5 minutes of getting there I get a good signal. Keep in mind that I have pounded this school yard many times with my BH 505 and my Etrac. I cut a plug and out pops a 1911 Barber dime. I just sat there in awe for a couple of minutes, I could not believe what I just found. 10 minutes later I found my first .925 ring. Well I am still looking for my 1st merc though! lol It will come some day Im sure if I just keep at it.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread