1817-Large Cent, Exotic Gold Ring for the Ages !!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was just like any other day for detecting, the weather was nice , the plan we had was in place and off I went to meet Tim at a piece of property we both detected in the past....so after 1 button and a boot heal we decided to head towards an area we had on our 1867 map which showed some old cellar holes .. on the way there we noticed what looked to be a rise back in the woods so as we walked in and would you know it a cellar hole....Now as we started detecting I found a flat button with the first swing of the coil ...now that has not happened in years that the first swing had a signal ....a few years back I found an Indian head cent that way....anyway after the button making my way to the right side of the foundation I get a deep good signal , digging down about 8 inches out came a large coin . That being a "bank of Montreal Half Cent 1844 or 42 ..." Then moving on I found more flat buttons and then a 1817 large cent at only 5 inches deep...! This site has never been detected ..so going back to the truck I get another good hit out came a King george copper very worn but can make out a slight bust on the face....so after we had taken a break and ate lunch we decided to head over to the place we had planned to do in our plans ...after a short drive about 4 miles we arrived at the Cellar hole....now this spot was nice no snow , but a dog barking around the corner from some old farm house , that was not going to be a problem for us....With only a short time left to detect tim went one way I went the other. Tim finds a nice piece but I'm not going to say ....he might be posting it some time soon...so I head up to the area behind the house and get a super hit and down about 8 inches ,I dig out a nice gold Ring in a clump of mud. Now I have not found a gold ring in a while and as were wiping it off....Well you can see for your self...... :o....You have what looks like an Angel or just a naked woman!!!! The stone is missing but it is nice and a first for me...The ring has some weight to it so it should clean up pretty nice....So with the time running out in this adventure we made our way back to the trucks and headed home.....Bringing home a nice addition to the collection!!!! Enjoy......and Good luck digging!!! 8)

Attachments

• Center  3 26 06 011 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 011 Medium Web view.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 570
  • Center  3 26 06 020 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 020 Medium Web view.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Center  3 26 06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Center  3 26 06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Center  3 26 06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker, those are some really great relics! Question, in the bottom pic and to the left of the ring, is that the handle part of a candle holder? I found one just like it in a Civil War camp a few days ago. Do you know for sure what it is? Here is a picture of the one I found. Tsgman

Attachments

• pic of candle holder.JPG
    pic of candle holder.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 350

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul!
Really nice ring. If it were mine, my wife would have to have it.
(Because I know she wouldn't let me wear it). ;D

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Large cents are always a welcomed dig.

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tsgman said:
Seeker, those are some really great relics! Question, in the bottom pic and to the left of the ring, is that the handle part of a candle holder? I found one just like it in a Civil War camp a few days ago. Do you know for sure what it is? Here is a picture of the one I found. Tsgman
Hey Tsgman.....Yes it is ! I have found a bunch of them over time and until last year my friend Tim found the complete piece ....It was in rough shape but intact....Almost looks like off of a gun or something....Glad you like the finds and you guys have some nice stuff also , along with some nice sites........

mylady8882

Greenie
Jul 12, 2005
Awesome Finds. I dont want to sound dumb, but what is A celler hole? And what does it look like on a map? We have an 1871 map of our county and was wondering if they would be on my map?

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
SEEK, Great Finds, Congrats, It Just Doesn't Get Much Better Than That. Love Those Old Unhunted Sites. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 145.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 145.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 260
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 145.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 145.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 251

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
Tsgman yepper it is a ring from a candle holder. I made quite a stir at the meeting last year when I showed up with the one in the pic. Seems a lot of people were finding them over the years and didn't know what they were.

lordmarcovan your time period would be just about right as you can see from my post of stuff I found

Tim

Attachments

• DSCN0989.JPG
    DSCN0989.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 256

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o What everyone else said and then double! :o

SEEKER!

!WOW!

;)

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tim....thanks for posting that candle stick holder that was a nice find ..... :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread