1817-Large Cent, Exotic Gold Ring for the Ages !!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was just like any other day for detecting, the weather was nice , the plan we had was in place and off I went to meet Tim at a piece of property we both detected in the past....so after 1 button and a boot heal we decided to head towards an area we had on our 1867 map which showed some old cellar holes .. on the way there we noticed what looked to be a rise back in the woods so as we walked in and would you know it a cellar hole....Now as we started detecting I found a flat button with the first swing of the coil ...now that has not happened in years that the first swing had a signal ....a few years back I found an Indian head cent that way....anyway after the button making my way to the right side of the foundation I get a deep good signal , digging down about 8 inches out came a large coin . That being a "bank of Montreal Half Cent 1844 or 42 ..." Then moving on I found more flat buttons and then a 1817 large cent at only 5 inches deep...! This site has never been detected ..so going back to the truck I get another good hit out came a King george copper very worn but can make out a slight bust on the face....so after we had taken a break and ate lunch we decided to head over to the place we had planned to do in our plans ...after a short drive about 4 miles we arrived at the Cellar hole....now this spot was nice no snow , but a dog barking around the corner from some old farm house , that was not going to be a problem for us....With only a short time left to detect tim went one way I went the other. Tim finds a nice piece but I'm not going to say ....he might be posting it some time soon...so I head up to the area behind the house and get a super hit and down about 8 inches ,I dig out a nice gold Ring in a clump of mud. Now I have not found a gold ring in a while and as were wiping it off....Well you can see for your self...... :o....You have what looks like an Angel or just a naked woman!!!! The stone is missing but it is nice and a first for me...The ring has some weight to it so it should clean up pretty nice....So with the time running out in this adventure we made our way back to the trucks and headed home.....Bringing home a nice addition to the collection!!!! Enjoy......and Good luck digging!!! 8)

Attachments

• Center  3 26 06 011 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 011 Medium Web view.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 570
  • Center  3 26 06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 008 Medium Web view.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 559
  • Center  3 26 06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 019 Medium Web view.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Center  3 26 06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 006 Medium Web view.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Center  3 26 06 020 Medium Web view.jpg
    Center 3 26 06 020 Medium Web view.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent day Seeker! Some wonderful finds. I wonder if it's worth sifting the ring hole for the stone...?

HH!
TBGO

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seeker..I almost don't even have to read your post any more,excellent find's any time you post the word cellar.Great job on your part,can't wait to see what Tim found.....Keep em' comin' Seeker and HH!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That ring is absolutely beautiful....what a great find ! Bet you were having 'Heavenly "thoughts when you found that ! What size is it? ;) Your other finds are nice also, but the ring is the best!!!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TOTALLY AWESOME DAY seeker!! WTG on the great finds!! HH

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Seeker,
Wow ! You've done it again. I always say that you have to put yourself in the right place to find the good stuff and once again you have done just that. Great ring and coins. Keep it up.

Smartin

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Excellent finds for you guys today.That undetected cellar hole sure gave up some nice relics and coins.The gold ring is fantastic. Can't wait to see what else you recover on future hunts there. Good luck to you. HH!

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy with the size of that setting, I'd be back in that hole sifting for the stone.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, Seeker! Fantastic finds! The large cent makes me jealous, but I'd be just as happy to find one of those old Canadian tokens, too. Of course, that might not be as likely here in the Deep South.

The ring looks great- too bad the stone is gone, but that Art Nouveau style nude is great. Looks like 1890s to 1920s, if you ask me. Splendid find!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
man what a great day. that ring is really unique. i would consider having a stone set in it. does it fit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread