Being Professional Helps!

Magic-one

Jun 14, 2010
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Went out today to the local park and found nothing but a few penny's and just wasn't much into hunting it today. So I decided to go to a school football field that I had been looking at for a while. The field is very manicured and I was sure that they didn't allow hunting there.

I went into the school and asked who I would speak too about metal detecting. I was referred to the principal since they have summer school going now. I asked him about detecting the football field and he told me he would rather I didn't. I felt like leaving but I thought that I would pursue it a little farther since all he could do was tell me no again. I told him that I was very professional at it and he wouldn't even be able to tell that I was in the field. Also an added benefit of letting me is that all the trash I came upon would be removed and if I find any class rings they would be returned to the owner. I then asked him if he could step just outside the building so that I could show him how I retrieve an object.

He went outside the building with me, I proceeded to show him how I cut a plug, retrieve the object, put the plug back, then aerate the top of the plug so the grass will not die. I have to say I think he was very impressed that I could dig a four or five inch hole and not leave a trace. I also gave him one of my business cards. After that he allowed me to hunt the field.

When I first started hunting the field I could tell that they had not let anyone hunt it before as it was full of clad. I started shallow clad in order to only dig deep signals. Much to my surprise I was finding clad from the 80's and 90's at seven and eight inches. So I stopped took a good look around and realized that his football field had bleachers only on one side of the field. The cheerleaders for the teams had to have been performing just off from the bleachers on the one single side of the field. So I went there and concentrated my efforts on jewelry. There was very little trash in the field so digging the gold/pull tab signals wasn't too bad. My first target was a strange sounding target with VDI jumping everywhere. I dug down about four inches and found a girls watch. It's junk now of course but it was neat to find. Then after a few more clad coins I got my first ring at five inches. Which is stamped 925 and appears to have a large diamond in it, but it may not be real I'll have to have it checked. Next came a long gold piece with fourteen diamonds in it. I first thought it was a tennis bracelet. But after I got it out of the ground I found out that it was just a costume jewelry earring. Then after a little more clad I pulled a nice ten karat gold ring that looks like a sapphire in the center with two diamonds on each side.

The last time I posted rings I found there were two. This time there are two with a few bonus pieces. I also found a silver bobby pin with two fake diamonds.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is that if you can dig a good clean hole and be able to show that you can it may just get you into a spot that holds some goodies.

Thanks for looking

DSCF0001-6.jpg

DSCF0006-3.jpg

DSCF0007-2.jpg

DSCF0009-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs!

That story is both inspiring and motivating to say the least.

Thanks for sharing, sincerely :thumbsup:

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice... I see you got the ring finding down with the V3.... I'm still not sure what a gold ring like that sounds like... lots of trash in the areas I hunt... I am finding silver rings but no gold yet... again... great finds!

Chukers

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Great story. I could definitely see the ear ring may have looked like a tennis bracelet...got your blood going I bet. BTW, you made a great contact and showed some professionalism.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Great Finds!

As an ex-teacher, let me tell you what I think swayed the principal. Two things, actually. 1) You demonstrated what you were doing. 2) You gave him your contact information. In these days of post 9/11, schools and especially principals have to be careful about letting anyone on school property.

Way To Go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions