colonial item identified

shiningstar76

Feb 4, 2005
savannah, ga
I found this item on sunday about 8 inches down in savannah, which has history going back to about 1733. I appeared rather crudly made, and at first we thought that it was a button of some sort. I couldn't find it in any of my reference books which was strange. My fiancee and I happened to be going down to St. Augustine Fl for a day trip on monday(oldest city in america) so I thought that I would bring it with to see if anyone could identify it. After a little hunting I came across a man named john who is a museum curator and specializes in colonial artifacts. Right of he was dead on positive as to what it is. To my surprise it is a colonial coattail weight, to keep the coattails from blowing in the wind. It is made out of lead, and most likely english which makes sense as savannah was an english colony.
He was also able to identify the second piece here that I posted a while back as a decorative button, which had a thin gold plating, popular 1780-1800. Most likely english as well. Cheers!

Attachments

• button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 303
  • coattail weight1.jpg
    coattail weight1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 298
  • coattail weight2.jpg
    coattail weight2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 289
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great Find! And Lucky you ran into that museum curator! St Augustine is one of my favorite haunts! Just love that city!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
SHIN, Interesting Relic, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 204
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 115.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 218

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread