Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?ve had a few good hunts this week. I was detecting a field when a farmer drove up and started asking questions about what I was doing. I showed him a few early 1900 coins I had found. He asked why would I hunt where I was and I explained the age of the town, 3700 BC as they claim and I was 300 meters from where they found these artifacts with full permission. The farmer went on to say he had found a coin on his fields where a small town once stood, after some conversation he showed me the way to his fields. A few miles out of town and into a prairie. He showed me the
fields, I thanked him and started detecting. Lots of wildlife here, peace of mind and relaxation. The fields here are slow, very little trash and an occasional nice find. I did not find anything dating the town but found some interesting relics and coins. The town died out due to a plague in the year 1619 and there is no trace of it, the pictured monument below has the date 1619 inscribed on it at the top part of the pillar just below St. Whoever. I realized this is one of the towns I have read about doing some research and would have had a hard time finding the area. I?m not on the town and need to do more research using some aerial photos.
1619field.jpg

This is an interesting whatsit, an arrow with some d?cor around it, 3cmX1.8cm and was gold plated, still has some scant plating on the obverse.
Arrow.jpg

Found this interesting German World War Infantry Badge, played heck trying to figure it out but it?s partially abbreviated. Top part has two busts of men facing left, below words read ?Weltkrieg?World War? middle ??-BAYR-INF??-Bavarian-Infantry? bottom ????.
INFbadge.jpg

I found 17 coins dating from the late 1800s to the early 1900s and a 1958 2 Mark coin. One of those coins was a silver and the oldest coin found, an 1807 Three or Six Kreuzer, the size of a Dime. The legend reads ?MAXIOSEPH KONIG VON BAIERN?.
1807O.jpg

Reverse of the 1807 silver, date is at the 6oclock position, above the date is the Bavarian coat of arms, above the arms is a crown, 3oclock position has the ?K? for Kreuzer, 9oclock position should have the denomination of the coin but it?s gone, the outer legend reads ?Land Munz?.
1807R.jpg

This relic was deep in the field, not that it means much on a farm field, LOL, it was a pleasure bringing it to the surface. An 1866 German Iron Cross Military Medal, not sure what the wording is ?MEREN??? or the symbol in the middle.
IroncrossR.jpg

Reverse of the Iron Cross, Date of 1866 and rampant lion to the left wearing a crown. HH, Mike
IroncrossO.jpg

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Real nice finds Mike. I know your items are really old. But your grounds don't seem to be to kind to your finds. I guess the fields you hunt alot have been fertilized alot.

Some times some one will lead you to a great spot. It's always nice to gain a extra spot.

HH Jer

tiefmaster

Greenie
Nov 1, 2005
Illinois
Nice finds! Love the Iron Cross. Most motorcycle buffs in the States don't know the history behind it. Maybe Merenberg? NW of Frankfurt. Somehow I remember this area. Drove through last fall. Boy am I jealous!

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Excellent finds Mike.The relics and coins you unearth are absolutely amazing.
The 1866 Iron Cross is my favorite of your finds.I wish you luck in finding the town you are researching from 1619. Research is the key. I'm looking forward to seeing what you find.
HH!

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
GREAT STORY !

Well, Mike...

Great story + great finds + great pictures = GREAT POST !

Congr !

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great stuff mike! as usual!! thanks for posting the great pics. i hope you find that town site.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Nice stuff!! I can't wait to get back over there: this time I am taking my detector with. What do you think the best way to transport one on a plane is? BTW, my in-laws are German, so I have access to plenty of places...

I took some time and managed to find both those medals online:

http://www.johnnyg.westhost.com/medals-imp-german-4.html

Here is your infantry badge, I can't read which div. yours is from, it looks like maybe a 2.

Looks to me like it says 1868... but it's hard to tell... Seems like it is actually from WWI

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-GERMAN-BAVA...ryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a similar more fancy version:

http://www.sarcoinc.com/rm31.html

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very nice finds Mike. Your stuff is always so interesting. Wish I could visit such an old place!

Happy Hunting!
Moon

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It won't take you long Mike to find the old town,Great find's and HH!!.Alway's look forward to seeing your post!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
MIKE, Great Finds, You Must Have Quite A Collection By Now, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 120.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 120.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 378

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, great finds once again! Do you ever run into other people metal detecting around that area? Tsgman

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds. I"d love to come back to Germany. I was stationed there in the '60's and I loved it.
I was always out walking the trails and looking at the history of Germany. Wish I would have had
just one of the detector's I now own when i was there. I really like the Iron Cross. Good luck in all your finds and
keep us posted. HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great commets and MDnoob, thanks a bunch for the research and results! There are not many detectors around anywhere here in Germany, I have only met a few. The detecting laws here are intimidating and you will get different answers from town officials, main thing is, get permission from the land owners and don't detect castles and such. The old town will be hard to find, not even a cellar hole exists today but there may be some landmarks still visible. Within a few weeks the fields will be planted and it will be Fall before I can get back on them. HH, Mike

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow,

nice artifacts.

You must have one heck of a collection by now.

Always enjoy seeing.

Keep it up.

have a good un...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread