Pewter War of 1812 Infantry Button

U

umrgolf

:hello: Hadn't been out much this week with the heat and trying to iron things out with my upcoming orders. Still waiting for the detailer to call and let me know the date I'll be leaving and where I'll be heading ::) :laughing7: .... Tried the H.M.A/Virginia button field for 2 hours this morning and came up with a couple keepers. I was hoping the pewter button was a Rev War era when I saw it, but I guess that's one that's gonna stay on the wishlist for now ;D

1830's Eagle A (Horstmann), 1812 Pewter Infantry, 1830's Eagle A (Scovills)
IMG_0362.JPG

Pretty flaky so I called Buckleboy and per his advice added a couple coats of 50/50 Elmers & water
IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

Horstmann Eagle A, the only one from the site with this backmark out of approx 50 (also the best)
IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

Group
IMG_0366.JPG

Not in the best shape, but definitely one of my new favorites
IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As usual, great looking finds man! :notworthy:
Love the 1830's Eagle A button.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Jeff. Thats a good idea with the elmers and water. Ole Buck sure knows his stuff. :thumbsup: Be talking to ya soon.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, Jeff, on striking those early military buttons. The pewter one would have definitely gotten my Colonial blood wishing for a Rev war. Don't worry, man, you guys are due for something killer again. It is just around the metal detecting corner.

Thanks for sharing and say hi to Josh for me! :hello:

Kirk

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buttons Jeff!!!! Hunting today will get you in shape for the Persian Gulf. It was probably cooler in the gulf today than ir was in Tennessee. My truck was parked under the deck this afternoon and the truck thermometer read 101 degrees. Stay cool Bud, Quindy.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Good ones, Jeff! I like the green eagle button! Keep on hammering away at the fields, man!

We're getting out tomorrow for the first time in two weeks! We're looking forward to the dig!

Kyle

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

thanks antiquarian, Brian, & generic lad! jesse, d@mn straight, buck knows his stuff.. kirk, we're always hopin for the big one like you guys! ill see josh on monday and give him ur salutations... Mr. Dawg, my mojo is the only thing that allows me not to pass out in 100 deg heat with no hydration, just ambition.. Quindy, sorry that its so hot there, i think it was the same here, i just try to get out there before 9 and its usually not too bad!.. kyle, good luck out there! plenty of water, i want to see some green discs tomorrow or im not even gonna click on the post :laughing9: take care guys

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

thanks guys.. 4-H, that was my first pewter military button so its in the display box as well as the eagle A! love em :headbang:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great saves there....make be flakey but still a nice one... :icon_thumright:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet buttons but the 1812 is outstanding! :headbang: :headbang: Congrats on some great finds. :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice digs dude! i sprayed my USA continental army button with a couple coats of hairspray.worked like a charm :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice digs dude! i sprayed my USA continental army button with a couple coats of hairspray.worked like a charm :thumbsup:

I thought about doing that... I did that last week to an Eagle A that was still in the dirt clod and it seemed to preserve it pretty well.. Buckleboy's method seems to be working also, almost instantly it was much sturdier (not that I would ever try to peel a corner of the button away :laughing7: :D ) Thanks man

Thanks digginthepast and patriot! appreciate the replies :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one turned out well! I am a big fan of the ole Elmers and Water trick. I don't like the shiny look of urethane on a pewter button. The Elmers mix soaks in and bonds the button together, and it is completely reversible.

That's a nice button. In terms of pewters I have seen PLENTY worse.

Purdy Eagle A too!

:thumbsup:

-Buck

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
That one turned out well! I am a big fan of the ole Elmers and Water trick. I don't like the shiny look of urethane on a pewter button. The Elmers mix soaks in and bonds the button together, and it is completely reversible.

That's a nice button. In terms of pewters I have seen PLENTY worse.

Purdy Eagle A too!

:thumbsup:

-Buck
Thank's for the tip Buck!! Awesome early pewter "I" button,and just like the HMA's....where there's one there's another ;D Great save's Jeff :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread