south georgia strike outs

N

newlywedflorida

My name is nathan and i just moved to south ga on the border of florida (thomasville area). I have purchased old historical maps of the area and have logged about 45 hours detecting and have come up with nothing but new coins and trash, not even a wheat penny! If anyone can help me or knows anything of the area I would appreciate all the help I can get. Like most rookies i am sure, I have become obsessed every free min. i have is spent detecting. Maybe there is someone in my area that could mentor me. I appreciate any input thank you!

Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Nathan, it can be frustrating at times, especially just starting out, while I dont know much about thomasville ga, some things work in most places. For instance go to library do some research, better yet start asking new aqauntainces neighbors etc if they know much about the history about thomasville. Keep a watch when they tear roads and sidewalks up in th older part of town, watch when new construction projections are mentioned in the newspaper. Is there any grass curb areas in down town area check these out, another thing is try to find a buddy near by that can help you out with the lay of the land. You mentioned someone to mentor you I am sure there are folks near by that can help you. Keep practicing, improve you techniques, and know your machine, this only comes with time on the machine. Lastly learn the metal detectorists code of ethics. Bobbie and I are some distance from you but if you have questions that we can help just shoot us a line
good luck and keep us posted
hh
dave+bobbie

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Nathan - Welcome to the forum! I know the feeling...it's an addiction. What kind of detector are you using? Are you digging everything, or using discrimination? I'm not in your area, but if you browse this forum you can learn a lot. If you can provide some details, some of us may be able to give you some tips.

HH!
TBGO

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
Hey Nathan,

I'm new to the forum and metal detecting myself, but i grew up in tallahasse and can tell you that you have landed smack in the middle of plantation/farm country as well as just north of the only confederate capitol, east of the Mississippi, not captured during the civil war. Take the historical maps and compare them to old topo maps to help locate old homesites. Take a drive on rural county roads looking for big oak trees with wild azalea bushes, dogwood trees that line up old roses etc... these are old homesites, FIND THE PROPERTY OWNER and ask permission to hunt . Take a drive to lake miccosukee, on the way there you'll see three little square houseson the right these are old sharecropper houses built in the 20,s or 30,s where the old plantations were, they are still lived in by some black folks but most people out there are very nice and if asked would probably let you hunt. If you have pets or like to garden etc... start going to the feed/hardware stores and buy your dog food or garden supplies there, you'll get feed cheaper and can make contacts for farmers, plantation managers. Also take those old maps and find where there are subdivisions being built on old plantations and indian settlements, find the builder and ask permission to walk the footers of the foundations for indian artifacts. i'm styuck in north ga. on a constr. project now be back in a couple of months, I'll help you when i get back. later, fldiver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread