Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Went back to the stubble field today for a afternoon hunt :) the hammered eluded me, Michael getting the only one, a s/cross which looks like it got caught in stubble burning at some point :-\

No hammered, but I managed a counterfeit William111 shilling, and 18 coppers :o this takes my total of this field to 33. This will be the last trip to this field, until it's ploughed :-\ we have covered the productive area were the footpath goes across the field. :icon_thumleft:

SS

Attachments

• s c 001.JPG
    s c 001.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,224
  • s c 002.JPG
    s c 002.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • s c 003.JPG
    s c 003.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,217
  • s c 004.JPG
    s c 004.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,222
  • s c 006.JPG
    s c 006.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • s c 007.JPG
    s c 007.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • s c 020.JPG
    s c 020.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • s c 016.JPG
    s c 016.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • s c 010.JPG
    s c 010.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,193
  • s c 008.JPG
    s c 008.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,199
  • s c 022.JPG
    s c 022.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,174
  • s c 014.JPG
    s c 014.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,164
Upvote 0

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
Now that's a good day out! I like the Button and coins

Keep up the good work !!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul there...I remember days like that....

WTG :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Patriot said:
Nice haul there...I remember days like that....

WTG :icon_thumright:
:icon_scratch:

Mainley Victorian Coppers, I thought a lot more Geo's might have turned up :dontknow:

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
missed this post :dontknow: ..... I like the coins congratulations Colin. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
missed this post :dontknow: ..... I like the coins congratulations Colin. :notworthy:
You were to busy, chasing pretty girls on Horseback :laughing9:

SS :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great handfull of coppers. :hello:

Too bad the hammered was burned a bit, but it's still a great sign. Did you find any other decent relics there? Anything Medieval to add to the mix?

Cheers,

Buckles

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:

Too bad the hammered was burned a bit, but it's still a great sign. Did you find any other decent relics there? Anything Medieval to add to the mix?

Cheers,

Buckles
Will that's a very good question you just asked, this area is three fields in the shape of a L, divided by 2 narrow lanes. One field has a high content of Roman finds, mainly Bronze :P but 2 Silver Roman have shown, along with a few relics, now cross one of the narrow lanes and your in the second field....no more than 10 yards...no Roman :icon_scratch: Hammered yes, relics no, just coins. The outher field is across another narrow lane...about the same distance...no Roman, odd Hammered, no relics :dontknow:
I can only think that the reason for the Roman finds, is that they must have been a small camp or something :icon_scratch:
The Medieval coins are there because it's a coaching lane, which went up to the 18th c, and it's on a Roman B road :thumbsup:

SS

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh I see. Sometimes sites are like that--just small camps, or places briefly occupied for some reason lost long ago to the past. Such are perplexing sites--and usually exciting and adrenaline-filled for a moment, then the finds start to quickly wane.

Either way, I bet it's nice to be finding mainly coins. 8)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Buckles
Will that's a very good question you just asked, this area is three fields in the shape of a L, divided by 2 narrow lanes. One field has a high content of Roman finds, mainly Bronze :P but 2 Silver Roman have shown, along with a few relics, now cross one of the narrow lanes and your in the second field....no more than 10 yards...no Roman :icon_scratch: Hammered yes, relics no, just coins. The outher field is across another narrow lane...about the same distance...no Roman, odd Hammered, no relics :dontknow:
I can only think that the reason for the Roman finds, is that they must have been a small camp or something :icon_scratch:
The Medieval coins are there because it's a coaching lane, which went up to the 18th c, and it's on a Roman B road :thumbsup:

SS
My idea about those fields, barren of Roman coins or relics like the two fields that you describe, is that I think they were woods, and filled with weeds/brush and stuff like that. People did not need much land for crops and animals back then, the population was small. Then in the begin of the midival times there were more people and they needed more land, so it was cleared for use.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Really Nice Coins!

Kind of makes me wonder how many people crossed that field? That's what I would call a lot of coinage, from many different centuries. And also kind of makes you wonder how many other old coins are waiting elsewhere in Europe?
The fields are still full of them...every plowing brings more to the surface....

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Colin, that really shows that the land was used back then. Some farmers did not have much to drop, so not much silver. The most were poor. But nice hunt, its always nice to find so many coins.....

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Buckles

SS
My idea about those fields, barren of Roman coins or relics like the two fields that you describe, is that I think they were woods, and filled with weeds/brush and stuff like that. People did not need much land for crops and animals back then, the population was small. Then in the begin of the midival times there were more people and they needed more land, so it was cleared for use.

Or ponds, lakes or marshland...England was known as the land of ponds, and the field opposite the Roman site has a marshy area :icon_thumleft:

SS

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Cheers,
Buckles
SS
Or ponds, lakes or marshland...England was known as the land of ponds, and the field opposite the Roman site has a marshy area :icon_thumleft:
SS
Well for sure that's correct. Depends upon how the land lays of course, if for instance there is a sort of dip in the land. Could have been water and then filled in also... When I was last in Capetown we visited a woman who lived in a house built by the dutch in 1604. It was original, can you believe that, with the original doors, floors and ceilings and filled with antiques that went with the house. Anyway we walked into the back yard (overlooking a valley and mountains) and I mentioned, oh I see where the swimming pool was... (I am just like all of you always looking down :tongue3: "Huh?" She said, we wondered about that for years and years, it was just a dent in the grass, we could not figure it out. My knowledge of the house came from my wife, when she was a small child her family lived in it (55 years earlier), and they had some pictures and stories. She was pleased. The house had very high ceilings, but very low doors, JUST look at the photo below! (back then people were not so tall, and they had not changed the house at all since 1604). To walk through them we had to bend.

Funny also, when I returned to Holland I wanted to write and thank her for her hospitality (didn't have any metal detector with me though), and looked on the net to see if I could find her name...Wow, everyplace I turned too. Seems like she is the richest woman in South Africa! With many business (real estates)... Wow! (now I know why an armed guard went with us everyplace, I though it was for the antiques).

What would it be great to make holes in her nice grass there!!! Maybe next time, will take a detector.

Couple of photos... The inside and the back yard.... mmmmm I am drooling to go search there now...

Attachments

• DSCN2651_resize.JPG
    DSCN2651_resize.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN2676_resize.JPG
    DSCN2676_resize.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 213

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions