Im Gettin Closer!

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
I'm Gettin' Closer!

A beautiful day in MidTenn, so decided to try pinpointing the location of an old trading post I've been told existed on a friends land. I may have been successful. Found a hinge still attached to a quite rotten piece of wood that may have been the frame of a screen door perhaps. Other than that I only found some large flat iron pieces, most of which were unidentifiable, except for what i think is a type of mower blade. Well, it could have been some type of hand swung blade I guess, due to having rivets (or nails of some type) near one end. The width of the blade was maybe 3.5 to 4 inches though, and tapered. I also found a fairly old bullet casing, judging by the patina and shape. It was about 4.5 inches deep, so perhaps it has been there awhile. I'm guessing, but it is likely a .3030 or .30-06 caliber shell. I won't bother with a photo since this has to be pretty common for you guys.

Anyway, at least I learned a bit more about how my XLT responds to various objects. I'm still learning how to use it. Btw, while I was out there, I reseated the cable connector at the box again, and found that the false target noise I was hearing when bumping twigs or tufts of grass diminished greatly. Great to read about the many finds you all are posting. It gives me encouragement to keep trying this potential hobby.

Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Re: I'm Gettin' Closer!

RICH, Best Of Luck & Good Hunting, Hope The Site Pans Out For You. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 151
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 149

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

R,

good to hear that you think you may be in the
area you were searching for.

Do post a pic of anything you find. That blade would
be interesting. Perhaps someone here on the site
can give you some info on it.

Welcome to the board.

have a good un..........

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Thats great you were able to narrow down your target; an old trading post should produce some interesting finds. Be sure to keep us up to date.

OP
OP
D

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN

Thanks guys!

I left the blade cause I didn't want to clutter my basement further. <g> Sorry. Here is the bullet casing though. My silly little digital camera can't focus on it no matter what angel or zoom I try, so it's pretty blurry.

FYI...Alias change alert!

Attachments

• bulletcasing 002.jpg
    bulletcasing 002.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 156
  • bulletcasing 004.jpg
    bulletcasing 004.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 154

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

DbugR,

Welcome to the treasure net. I'm still pretty much a newbie also. I'm in Kingston ,Tn, so hello neighbor. If you've found an old trading post I'd say you'll be busy for a long time.

HH,
Smartin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread