Stange Coin..can anyone help me id it?

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
I recently found a coin about the size of a morgan dollar. its brass..cant take pics..my camera is broke..anyhow..on the front it says "the union banking and trust company DuBois, PA " around the front edge..with a picture under that of the front of a bank..its an old one with a pediment on top with large pillars supporting that..on the back it says. Capital..$125,000 solicits interest paid on savings and deposits..then it says deposits..then i cant make out the next word..after that it says safe deposit..boxes for rent..I dont know what it is..or if its worth 125,000?? I think it is fairly old..any info would be great..thanks everyone

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
I just dont get why a coin like this would have been made..and who would be the person who would get it?

Pull_tab_mike

Nov 20, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster
my 2cents would be get a working cam or scanner, post pic's and put it under WHAT IS IT forum.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Known as the "Bank of Friendly Service", the officers and employees of Union Bank and Trust Company are committed to customer satisfaction. Organized in 1896, the Bank has grown its combined assets to $125,000,000.

OP
OP
S

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
Yes I read that about the assets of 125,000,000..so i checked the coin again and it is 100% for sure 125,000 not million..so..well I dont know.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1896, The bank's capital was $100,000:

In order to attract trust business and to qualify to act in a fiduciary capacity, the name of the Union Safe Deposit Bank was changed to Union Bank and Trust Company on Feb. 19, 1924.

So my guess it was a token coin given out about this time or after 1924 when they changed their name.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WilliamBoyd said:
It's an advertising token.

:)

Agreed. The poster should not embarrass themselves by calling and asking for $125,000 in cash. :P

OP
OP
S

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
kyphote said:
BuckleBoy said:
WilliamBoyd said:
It's an advertising token.

:)

Agreed. The poster should not embarrass themselves by calling and asking for $125,000 in cash. :P
lol
lol i wouldnt have called anyone and asked for 125 k haha that would be crazy..I would have asked for info on the coin/token first..then based on the info..I probably would have been able to tell if its worth anything..

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I agree completely with the advertising token. Maybe one of my old relatives lost it as I have many around the Dubois area.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time when I was a kid I found this little copper dollar on the ground, It had Abraham Lincoln on it. It said readers digest on it, and it also has $125,000 on it. I have no idea what it is, but I still have it. I've tried finding one online, but no luck. Kinda cool though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread