Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was searching around an area about 20 miles out fo town. I was hoping to fidn a new good site to detect in but unfortunately did not. However I did see this from the road and turned around. I was excited for a bit but then I seen it was historic...Oh well its still a really cool place. Its called Bells Tavern. It was built by a man named William Bell in 1830. It served as a stagecoach stop that brought visitors to Mammoth Cave when first open. The inn and tavern was famous in the United States and Europe for elite patrons, cuisine and a special drink of peach and honey brandy for “Joy before the journey’s end. The tavern burned in 1860 and reconstruction by Bell’s grandson, William F. Bell and stepfather, George M. Proctor, was halted due to the Civil War. Thanks for looking!! :headbang:

Attachments

• Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,318
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,277
  • Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,289
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking pictures and background story olekyground. If I didn't know better, I'd swear
I was looking at a ruin somewhere in the English countryside. :wink:
Too bad you couldn't put the detector on the ground, bet there's quite a bit to be found too.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there a couple of times.Really neat old place. My parrents live close to Glasgow.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Listen,
That's a dot on map already discovered.
Find out what's between those dots and you'll get some relics.....I promise

Absolutely. You know where the tavern is located. Now, verify the route of the original roadway. Find out where that road crossed the creeks and rivers (bridges and ferries). Were any of those stagecoaches robbed nearby?? How far out from the ruins does the PROTECTED property go? Can you get permission from current owners of surrounding properties to detect?? The trash pit or trash site could easily be OUTSIDE of the protected site. After all, the tavern wouldn't want their trash and junk piled up right outside of their business building. They'd carry it off a little piece to get it out of sight. If there is a creek nearby, there's a good chance they'd throw their trash over the creek bank.

You see. There are still great possibilities with this site. Use your common sense and expand a little. :thumbsup:
Good luck and good hunting.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, Caveman. Nice link. Now, I wonder how often and how many drunks WALKED to and from the tavern to the hotel, HUUUUMMMMM?

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stage coach stops are usually awesome for coins find the next one down the line.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can just imagine what,s in the ground there the Reale and later the Morgan silver dollar was the main means of payment in a salon ,people back then did not take a cab to the tavern they waked or rode a horse check all around the area you can detect look for old horse trails .Good luck Dd60
:laughing7:

Attachments

• Cat2BBallou.jpg
    Cat2BBallou.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,103

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
hunt the area not taped off people didnt stay next to the tavern all the time i used to stray away to water the grass once in a while

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
I would get in touch with the grounds keeper and see if he could not get you on the site to do a little swinging,

You never know,,,but my guess would be it had the hell swung out of it way back when!!!

very cool site for sure!!!

art

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are these "Historic Sites" Owned by the state?..or does it stay in the Town? does anyone one know how that works, or does it matter what state your in?

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have detected in Park City years ago at a tavern and hotel. I am thinking this is the same place, but it was privately owned at the time. I plan on making a trip to Mammoth cave soon and I will make a couple of calls and see if I can help you out with the area.

We use to have 8mm video of this area with alot of interesting sites there, but the videos were detroyed in a basement flood unfortunatly.

Nova Treasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread