03/31/06 - Old Farm House Finds

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt an old farm house that was built in 1897. It is owned one of my dad's teaching buddies. The best part is that he is a local historian of sorts and knows exact locations of ghost towns, old fairgrounds, school houses, etc. He said he can show you exactly where each tree stood at old school houses. I said I had a spare detector that he could use and he became interested and asked if I would be free on weekends to come out here and detect. :) He also told me of a spot where civil war soldiers used to camp out at as well. More good news is that I know the people who own the property and my dad is best friends with them! Ok, I could go on and on with stuff he told me about, but I will just go straight to my finds.

1897 Indian Head Penny
1907 V Nickel (a first for me)
11 Wheats (Haven't checked dates yet, but they go from the teens to the 50's)
1945 P Silver War Nickel (another first) - has nearly full steps on the back of the monticello! I haven't looked into values of this coin, but it could be worth my while to get it graded and slabbed, it is THAT nice!
1945 Mercury Dime - havent checked the mintmark yet
1971 canadian penny

I also got a few clad pennies and a clad dime. Oddly, no quarters, etc.

The detecting conditions were pretty harsh with several power lines just a few feet above my head that were playing with the detector. The wind was also gusting 30+ mph and it was TOUGH to hear my headphones, even with a hat covering them up.

Everything was found in about a 20x10 area, except for a few stragglers, even though the yard is a good 1-2 acres.

I also tried a nearby cemetary and got diddly squat.

I will come back later with pictures and more details. Later.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds like a great spot! good deal on the guy with the intimate knowlege of the areas history. that guy is going to be a gold mine for you! awesome stuff!

B

brz

Thats awesome!!! look on the back of the nickle, because there is also a 1945 p that is a double die. You never know.. Great finds and a most terrific spot to hunt. Good luck to you. Brian

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brz said:
Thats awesome!!! look on the back of the nickle, because there is also a 1945 p that is a double die. You never know.. Great finds and a most terrific spot to hunt. Good luck to you. Brian

Where does the doubling occur? Any specific thing I should be looking for? It is soaking right now along with the indian and the v nickel. The IH is going to be given to the guy who owns the house since the house was built in 1897, the same year as the Indian is dated.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Bsco.......sound like the site has great potential...Plus congrats on the -V- nickle....Find some of that old Silver! 8)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hollowpointred said:
sounds like a great spot! good deal on the guy with the intimate knowlege of the areas history. that guy is going to be a gold mine for you! awesome stuff!
[/quote/] Sound's like you don't have to research this place too hard,he'll be detecting with you.Good luck and can't wait for some of your post's,I know they'll be comin'.Lucky you.....HH!!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
BSCO, Sounds Like a Great Site, Best of Luck & Good Hunting, Keep Us Posted. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 203
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 207

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions