🥇 BANNER 1918 Silver 1 Franc World War I Identification Coin/Token!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up guys...I've been on vacation for the past 5 days and itching to get back to the dirt to dig. Went to a new site yesterday and attained permission to dig this nice-

looking patch of ground. As I said, by this time I was quite ready to do some digging as I was dang near in withdrawals ;D ;D Around lunchtime I got a really good signal

and out popped this Silver coin. At first, I thought it might be a Reale but when I raised it up and looked at it; it was a 1918 1 Franc. I was thinking "pretty cool" until I

turned it over and saw that it was engraved! Right then and there I knew that that elevated this find from just a "pretty cool" find to a "terrific piece of History!!"

It was singularly awe inspiring to be able to hold an item so linked with not only American and European history, but with World history!.....it leaves

you lost for words for a piece of time.

P1011417.JPG

Front
P1011418.JPG

Back
P1011421.JPG

P1011419.JPG

P1011420.JPG

The back reads:

"CH. MECH. R.C.CURTIS
BAT. D
111TH
F.A.
A.E.F."

Chief Mechanic [Mr.] R. C. Curtis, Battery D, 111th Field Artillery, Army Expeditionary Forces :hello2:

Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
WoW .. That really is a neat piece of history! Great Save! :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The American Expeditionary Forces or AEF was the United States Armed Forces sent to Europe in World War I. During the United States campaigns in World War I the AEF fought in France alongside British and French allied forces in the last year of the war, against Imperial German forces. The AEF helped the French Army on the Western Front during the Aisne Offensive (at Château-Thierry and Belleau Wood) in June 1918, and fought its major actions in the Saint-Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne Offensives in late 1918-your coin's year!!
Don...
Source: Wiki

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You "Time Travelers" have gone from the Rev War to WW1 in those Virginia sites. That's a great historic find and will make a super research project Josh. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronbo22 said:
Nice piece of history. Please rearch the soldier. BANNER!!!!!

Thanks Ronbo and I will do all that I can to research this soldier and have the history to go with his I.D. Token. I owe him that much.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find...I hope you find out some information about Mr. Curtis. Maybe you can return it to his family.

I vote banner...

NJ

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've seen reference to WWI "111th Field Artillery" as being based in both Maryland and Virginia.
Since you found the coin in Virginia, you may be very close to finding the heirs to this soldier.
Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"In the weeks that followed the Allies' victory in World War I on 11 November 1918, a U.S. Army quartermaster officer of the Services of Supply (SOS) sat down to write his portion of the after-action report. The report was neatly typed, thorough, and impressively honest. It outlined how, almost out of nothing, the Army had forged the SOS, the logistics organization that supported the 3 million Soldiers deployed "over there" to Europe as the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF)."
The source of this and more on the AEF can be found here:
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-203134726/over-there-army-expeditionary.html

U

umrgolf

Another great find :o :o :o This hobby continues to shock me.. Hunting a colonial/CW field and something like this pops up out of nowhere :laughing9: A personalized token like this that is directly linked to a WWI soldier that lived here and served in France, deserves some recognition. :icon_thumleft: WTG Josh

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FREAKIN' UNREALE!! (great pun, eh?) I can't imagine your reaction upon seeing the engraving. Banner in my book. :icon_thumleft:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Josh, that is amazing. You got my vote. Amazing piece of history. :thumbsup:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Terrific find!!! What a great piece of history to dig up. Congrats!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Josh, after I replied this morning, I got to thinking. I don't recall EVER seeing a WW1 i.d. tag in a foreign coin. Just think, that soldier was there in that bloody and muddy mess serving his country. Good luck on the research. I must VOTE BANNER formally. That's a SUPER discovery. HH, Quindy.

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Absolutly fantastic find, Great piece of AEF history, banner in my book. Hope you can find more out about this soldier. Keep us posted and good job. Congrats. :thumbsup: :hello2:Hardrock

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may wish to check with the Virginia National Guard Historical Collection. They reported this:
“Soon after America entered World War I, most Virginia Guard units were organized into regiments with the now familiar designations of 116th Infantry and 111th Field Artillery. While the 111th saw no combat, more than 300 men of the 116th Infantry were killed. Among them was Winchester's Captain Robert Conrad, who was the highest-ranking Virginia Guardsman to die in the war.”

Virginia National Guard Historical Collection
c/o Virginia Army National Guard
Public Affairs ATTN: VAAG-PA (Historian)
BLDG 316, Fort Pickett
Blackstone, VA 23824
Office: (434) 298-5321
(434) 298-6297
Fax: (434) 298-5320
Source: http://vko.va.ngb.army.mil/VirginiaGuard/history/overview.html

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH! How VERY, VERY cool is that! What an excellent find! Looks like you've got a start on finding info for him, now I hope you can locate his family. I think it was Don from Kansas? that found an old coin with similar info..maybe CW era...and he had quite a journey returning his coin. :icon_sunny:

Congrats on such a wonderful find!!

Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread