A 7 cent pocket spill circa 1885

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Yesterday afternoon I spent some time hunting along an old trail through the woods. The trail dates to at least the post-civil war era. It is used today mostly by bicyclists and some hikers. I had found some good stuff on and around this trail back in the winter, even though I'm not the only detectorist who hunts there. Yesterday, I walked about 300 yards up the trail and had found only one nickel. Then along the side of the trail, I got a strange, deep signal which I thought was either a screw cap or possibly an Indian Head cent. It seemed to be pinpointing in a couple different spots. I dug down about 5 inches and lifted the dirt out of the hole. There was a target in the dirt, which turned out to be an Indian Head. There were still more targets in the hole. As I lifted each one out of the hole, I discovered three more Indians and a smaller piece, which I thought might be a civil war token. But after closer examination I could just barely make out a liberty head on one side and a Roman numeral III on the other. I knew I had a 3 cent nickel, only the second one I had ever found.

There were two 1883 cents, an 1885 cent and, a semi-key 1872 cent. The 3 cent piece turned out to be an 1865 piece. It must have been laying up against one of the Indian Heads as one side of the coin was somewhat protected from the elements, while the other side shows alot of environmental damage. There was some chemical reaction between the two coins which caused some green corrosion over Liberty's head. This was removed by soaking the coin in lemon juice.

Here's a shot of the whole 7 cents together:

7 cent find 001.JPG

The three cent nickel:

7 cent find 004.JPG 7 cent find 005.JPG

The 1872 cent:

7 cent find 007.JPG 7 cent find 006.JPG

The 1885 cent:

7 cent find 009.JPG 7 cent find 008.JPG

And the 1883's:

7 cent find 002.JPG
7 cent find 003.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bob! You never know what those strange signals are unless you dig them

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding coin spill :o probably what happened to the 3 center :icon_thumleft: nice coins

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wicked pennies man...

Continue on that road, no doubt about it there are more goodies.

How long is this trail roughly? Was it well known and well traveled? I'm just curious :)

I've been looking for old trails in my area too... but I'm a chicken poop around here in the woods by myself. Need a hunting buddy or a gun. lol

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good spill. Your soil is kind.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1872 Indian Head Cent is a key date. Is it in nice shape?
Could you show a bigger and better picture of that coin?
roger

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a killer 3 cent nickle!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

up north

Jun 3, 2009
The Frozen Tundra
Detector(s) used
Whites's PRIZM V
Heathkit GP-45 Metal Locator
Garrett Ace 150
Pacific Northwest Insturments BH2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 3 cent nickels turn up in our hobby VERY seldom. Nice work.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spill. Ive only found one three cent nickel, they are few and far between. :thumbsup:

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That is outstanding!!

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
amazing find! I just got back from a 4 hour hunt at a local park. found 3.18 in clad a ring and two necklaces.. I would love to come across a coin spill like that. best spill I had today was a hole with two quarters about 2 inches apart in the same hole.

very very nice finds for you bud! keep up the great searchin and good luck!

Neil

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds :headbang: Looks like you hit a pretty good spot.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best looking pocket spill I've seen in a long time :icon_thumright:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Bob that is a sweet pocketspill! I've never seen one of those 3 cent nickels. congrats

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
rodgerdodger,

Here's a bigger and better picture of the 1872 cent. This is about the best I can do. My camera is not the greatest at taking close-ups of coins.

72 Indian 002.JPG

72 Indian 001.JPG

GioThe Greek,

This section of the trail is about a half mile long. It continues on the other side of a road and keeps on going for another quarter mile or so. Also, there are several trails branching off of this one, one of them turns around and comes back parallel to the first trail for another half mile. If you cross over the road, you can continue for another quarter mile and then back for another 3/4 mile. The bikers get a good workout on the trail as it winds around and goes up and down hills. I get a pretty good workout on the trail myself.

I can't really say how well known or well traveled the trail was in the old days. I know that there have been many campers, hunters, picnickers and hikers who used it in the past. It is well known to the bicyclists and to a few detectorists today.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread