Colonial..coins..buckle..buttons and a Hunter dropped silver watch

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Finally got a break in the weather here in Mass...Took full advantage this weekend...Me and my hunting buddy headed out to one of our colonial spots...We did very well on saturday...not so good on sunday...We found some sweet buttons and coins and relics...I found the silver watch in the middle of nowhere...im positive its a hunters drop..I found a complete knee buckle a nice spur...sweet buttons...And some nice georgies..My first counter stamp..It says 1782 stamped on the face :icon_thumleft: It felt great to get out with no 90 degree heat...I got a sweet signal, started to dig and Got attacked by BEE'S...they had a nest in the ground..I got stung 6 to 8 times OUCH.

Attachments

• dirtywatch.jpg
    dirtywatch.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,026
  • dirtywback.jpg
    dirtywback.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • watchcleaned f.jpg
    watchcleaned f.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,038
  • watchbclean b.jpg
    watchbclean b.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • kneebuckle f.jpg
    kneebuckle f.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • kneebuckle r.jpg
    kneebuckle r.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,013
  • georgies.jpg
    georgies.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • spur.jpg
    spur.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,020
  • buttons f.jpg
    buttons f.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,031
  • buttonsrev.jpg
    buttonsrev.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • dandyfog.jpg
    dandyfog.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • fog buttons.jpg
    fog buttons.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Great hunt! To me the date looks like 1783 with the "3" being upside down and backwards. Hey IP.....Is the Backwards "3" worth anything? :laughing9: Nice finds Brian.............Hogge :headbang:

Only if there's a backwards S up top. :laughing7:

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Congratulations on the nice finds!! That's a sweet watch. Very nice....

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!! Can't wait till the temp drops down here in Fl. Price you pay for a mild winter I suppose!!
Bunker

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that looks like an excellent hunt! :icon_thumright:

Like the other guy said - have you tried to open the watch? It would be cool if it could be restored to operating condition! :)

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are tearing it up in MA. That site dates to about 1740. I would be hitting it at every angle that geometry would allow. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a awesome bunch of finds! Wish my stuff came out looking that good. The counter stamp looks like a 9 to me. HH!! :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is one of the best group of finds I have ever seen posted on here ! In terms of
quality , range of era or date - and variety - very excellent finds !!! Argentium.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great selection of finds! :icon_thumright:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW :icon_salut: What a great collection of finds and that watch cleaned up beautifully. How'd you do it?

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I would like to thank everyone for the replys...I have been working around the clock so i had no time to respond...To answer a few of the questions...I havent opened the watch yet..But i plan on getting new inner parts to make it work again...I will get some better pics up of it too...This site dates from the research 1733-1799 and was abandon...as for the counterstamp ...I will agree with Hogge look like upsidedown backwards 3...but 1789 would be sweet ...I really like this coin as its my first counterstamp :icon_thumleft:

Thanks again Brian W

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian W said:
I would like to thank everyone for the replys...I have been working around the clock so i had no time to respond...To answer a few of the questions...I havent opened the watch yet..But i plan on getting new inner parts to make it work again...I will get some better pics up of it too...This site dates from the research 1733-1799 and was abandon...as for the counterstamp ...I will agree with Hogge look like upsidedown backwards 3...but 1789 would be sweet ...I really like this coin as its my first counterstamp :icon_thumleft:

Thanks again Brian W

If that's the case it's almost certainly "38L" A wild guess might be it being a merchant stamp and that was the address. 38 L____ st. For as many counterstamps that are known it sure seems like a lot of unknowns pop up. Most of mine over the years I have not been able to ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread