CW cannonball today

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I was recently inspired by Hutch's 12 pounder boreman find so i set out today to find a cannonball. I went to a site where I knew artillery was fired. I was hunting the woods to escape the heat and all nearby fields are planted. After about 2 hrs of finding nothing but barbed wire and shotgun shells , I started heading out of the woods. Suddenly I got a deep iron signal and started digging. About 7 inches down i hit that all too familiar orange clump of rust. i pulled it out of the ground and expected a shell frag based on the size. As I chipped away at the sponge rust, a chunk of it popped off and revealed the smooth , round edge of a grape shot. Although it's only 1 1/2 inches in diameter , it is in fact a cannonball. Made my day. I searched around a bit more and found what might be a small piece of shell fragment. Then I walked up to a small stream and saw what I thought might be a parrot shell laying in the bottom of the stream. No such luck...turned out to be a 40 oz beer bottle. Another eyeball scan of the stream and I saw something round laying there. I pulled it out and it is a wooden wagon wheel with metal rim from an old tobacco cart. Also found a modern 45 cal bullet and a shard of pottery. Here are the pics ( dime is for size reference)

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 636
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That shot is awesome. I have a field I hunt here that kicks out fragments of shells sometimes. But I only hunt it during the winter. The brush is too thick this time of year. Hope you find many more in the future.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old grape shot :icon_thumright:
Found three of those in my backyard years ago, turned out they were from the War of 1812 ;D

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think grapeshot but I'm sure someone with more experience will pipe in soon.

Congrats

NJ

(see it happen while I was typing this email.. :icon_thumright:)

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
It gives me shivers everytime I think about what that grapeshot could do to people, it's a great find and a terrible reminder of what was happening at the time.
Bill

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on the grape shot. That's an awesome find.
Dman

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be canester shot or Grape shot. I'm no expert but I was reading the Federals changed over to canester prior to 1861.The confederates use grape a bit longer. The reason for change was the canset er keep the rounds tighter together for further accuracy. Congrats way to go. There has to be a shell there somewhere keep pounding it!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shot. I am not sure I know the deference between canister or grape. Sometimes we find a whole pile of them in a hole that was not fired. I think they may have been stacked with wood or something on each end. Nice finds for sure :thumbsup:
TnMtns

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Historic find!!
Will make an awesome display piece...
hoping More finds coming!!
Good Day, Herbie

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMountains said:
Nice shot. I am not sure I know the deference between canister or grape. Sometimes we find a whole pile of them in a hole that was not fired. I think they may have been stacked with wood or something on each end. Nice finds for sure :thumbsup:
TnMtns

The only difference was how the round was constructed. Grape Shot was exposed and held together by wire, cloth or steel plates with a wood sabot.. Canister was like a big can. The projectiles where the same eather Lead or Iron.

Attachments

• Grape shot.JPG
    Grape shot.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 339
  • Canister.JPG
    Canister.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 346

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread