Found a Very Rare Military Button! NEW INFO ADDED 11 Aug 10

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many Revolutionary War buttons over the years, some of which are quite rare. I never thought my rarest button find yet would be from the War of 1812, but it appears as though that's the case.

When I dug this button I had been finding nothing but bottle caps and pull tabs from people camping and fishing. The hunt was not going well at all. Then, right by a picnic table I get a nice hit but it was very shallow. I expected a modern target, but at 3 inches or so I pulled this button out. When I first found it it was CAKED with dirt and looked to have nothing on the front at all. The back of the button was quite visible however, and when I saw the gold gilt and the backmark I knew I better take a closer look at the front. Usually I wait until I get home, but I had to know what this button was. I picked off a hard piece of dirt from the front and was stunned when I saw what was on the button. Not knowing U.S. buttons very well, I was confused as to what I had. I clearly saw 'United States Artillery' on the face, and a stack of 6 cannon balls. I knew based on the button design it was quite old, but not Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 made sense as there was a lot of activity during the conflict in that area. However, I had never seen a U.S. artillery button from the War of 1812 with this design. I figured it must date slightly before or after the war as I knew the backmark was a fairly old and good one.

When I got home I looked it up in Alberts book and was pleasantly surprised to see a RV of 100, which seemed to me to be quite rare in comparison to most buttons. The book seems to suggest at the time of printing the example in the photograph was the only known example. I have scoured the internet and all of my reference books, but can't find another example anywhere. I was told the example in the book is in the Smithsonian, although I can't confirm that. There is a note in Alberts under the button which points to the 'National Button Bulletin, May 1962' for more info on the particular example in the book. I don't have it, and can't find it. Any chance one of you owns this issue?? I would love to know what it says!

I am left wondering if this button is numer 2 of 2 known. Can anyone provide any more info on the button or confirm how many are known to be out there??

What I know of the button, it is a United States Artillery, 2nd Regiment button. Made in 1808. I am also told (but again can't confirm) there were only about 300 made as Armitage made them as samples, but never received the contract.

As you can see in one of the pics, the button was still quite dirty (even after I removed some caked on dirt in the field) when I got it home. I knew there was some gilt under there and hit it with some aluminum jelly. Cleaned up quite nice. The front is nice, but the back blows me away!

Attachments

• Artillery.jpg
    Artillery.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5,414
  • artillery2.jpg
    artillery2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5,086
  • artilleryback.jpg
    artilleryback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,070
  • artillerydirty.jpg
    artillerydirty.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,034
Upvote 9
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DragonFly_ said:
Thank-You for posting this once in a liftime find for us all to see and enjoy. You just know there are some out there that would KILL to be you, so they feel they have to mess it up for you because they are JEALOUS ! DF

Thanks very much. I think it can simply be chalked up to people who like to stir the pot.

Anyhow, thanks again. It's one of those finds I will never forget making.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W57 said:
As Pristine as All the Other Letters are, there would NOT be a "1,2,3" Worn and barely Visible

OK, apologies in advance, but as upsetting as this may be to some, I am going to continue to harp on the "Phantom 123", These do not look like they are intended to be part of the buttons design, but look more like "mold numbers" probably intended to identify a sample as the "One over two over three cannon balls" design. A digital camera will pick up details not visible to the naked eye. How 'bout posting a link to some raw digital images of the non existant numbered area...
[/quote]

Or maybe they put a "123" there so these buttons could be used for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Regiment of Artillery!!??? ::)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonialDude said:
W57 said:
As Pristine as All the Other Letters are, there would NOT be a "1,2,3" Worn and barely Visible

OK, apologies in advance, but as upsetting as this may be to some, I am going to continue to harp on the "Phantom 123", These do not look like they are intended to be part of the buttons design, but look more like "mold numbers" probably intended to identify a sample as the "One over two over three cannon balls" design. A digital camera will pick up details not visible to the naked eye. How 'bout posting a link to some raw digital images of the non existant numbered area...

Or maybe they put a "123" there so these buttons could be used for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Regiment of Artillery!!??? ::)
[/quote]

Thats it a multifunctional button for several regiments :laughing9:

W57

Aug 17, 2008
This is really weird that more emphasis is being placed on denying an observation rather than exploring it...

I am particularly disappointed in Crusaders snide pot shot. Most of the posts by this member have, in the past, struck me as quite mature.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W57 said:
Are you going to post a link to a raw digital image or not.

First of all, no I am not. The pictures you see are what you get. I am in Afghanistan currently and will be here until Christmas.
That being said, there is no 123. I own the button, have examined it closely, there is no 123. I am fully capable of examining relics closely, and have handled thousands. If there was a 123 on the button, I would see it. It's not there...period. Find a new relic to make imaginary claims about.

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010
very nice good time for rare buttons this month lucky friday the 13 i found very historical button 1638 ANCIENT&HONOURABLE ARTILLERY button first button of the company very rare like yours none found on line the ancient and honorable artillery started in colonial mass in the year 1638 keep finding nice finds good luck all

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
What a wonderful find! I have to ask, what is the significance of have 123 on it if it did have it? Does that mean it is fake or what?

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...who knows!? There has never been one found with 123 on it...or heard of...it was just conjured up in someones imagintion in this thread. I am sure some wanted to point out the non-existant 123 in hopes of taking it's authenticity away...

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
ColonialDude said:
Thanks...who knows!? There has never been one found with 123 on it...or heard of...it was just conjured up in someones imagintion in this thread. I am sure some wanted to point out the non-existant 123 in hopes of taking it's authenticity away...

Such a shame.

I think it is an awesome piece and congratulations to you for finding it!!

Hidden_Realm

Oct 18, 2009
Niagara, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Congrats Dude on a killer button and in such amazing shape also!!! Lets hope there are more finds like this in the future in that soil of yours!!

DickTurpin

Mar 3, 2011
I am the unit commander of the re-enactment unit of the 4th Battalion Royal Foot Artillery and the Chatham and Gillingham Corps of Artillery In England where it was formed in 1799 at Fort Amherst. As you can imagine I am amazed that you found the button in America and I would love to find how it arrived in America. To my knowledge they didn't fight in the war of 1812 although it might have been the case. Unfortunately there is a lot of the original papers missing or fragmented by people trying to make a quick buck framing the odd page and selling it for a fortune. I on the other hand am interested in collating the information for future generations. Only the other week I accidentally traced an original sword belt of the unit and I own a shako plate from the unit and we have had many copies made.

I would be very grateful of any more information surrounding the location that it was found to help my research. Will be glad to offer any more information I have. I'd also love for some more pictures if you took any-more before it was sold. (sadly I only learnt of it's existence after the auction ended).

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yeah that's a nice one congratulations. I've never seen that button dug down here in SC and I've been relic hunting 25 yrs! You did good :thumbsup:

LP

cruzybri69

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these two buttons but i haven't got a clue, could someone help me id plz.

009.JPG
I have found many Revolutionary War buttons over the years, some of which are quite rare. I never thought my rarest button find yet would be from the War of 1812, but it appears as though that's the case.

When I dug this button I had been finding nothing but bottle caps and pull tabs from people camping and fishing. The hunt was not going well at all. Then, right by a picnic table I get a nice hit but it was very shallow. I expected a modern target, but at 3 inches or so I pulled this button out. When I first found it it was CAKED with dirt and looked to have nothing on the front at all. The back of the button was quite visible however, and when I saw the gold gilt and the backmark I knew I better take a closer look at the front. Usually I wait until I get home, but I had to know what this button was. I picked off a hard piece of dirt from the front and was stunned when I saw what was on the button. Not knowing U.S. buttons very well, I was confused as to what I had. I clearly saw 'United States Artillery' on the face, and a stack of 6 cannon balls. I knew based on the button design it was quite old, but not Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 made sense as there was a lot of activity during the conflict in that area. However, I had never seen a U.S. artillery button from the War of 1812 with this design. I figured it must date slightly before or after the war as I knew the backmark was a fairly old and good one.

When I got home I looked it up in Alberts book and was pleasantly surprised to see a RV of 100, which seemed to me to be quite rare in comparison to most buttons. The book seems to suggest at the time of printing the example in the photograph was the only known example. I have scoured the internet and all of my reference books, but can't find another example anywhere. I was told the example in the book is in the Smithsonian, although I can't confirm that. There is a note in Alberts under the button which points to the 'National Button Bulletin, May 1962' for more info on the particular example in the book. I don't have it, and can't find it. Any chance one of you owns this issue?? I would love to know what it says!

I am left wondering if this button is numer 2 of 2 known. Can anyone provide any more info on the button or confirm how many are known to be out there??

What I know of the button, it is a United States Artillery, 2nd Regiment button. Made in 1808. I am also told (but again can't confirm) there were only about 300 made as Armitage made them as samples, but never received the contract.

As you can see in one of the pics, the button was still quite dirty (even after I removed some caked on dirt in the field) when I got it home. I knew there was some gilt under there and hit it with some aluminum jelly. Cleaned up quite nice. The front is nice, but the back blows me away!

cruzybri69

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
008.JPG very nice button well done. i came a cross these two last week on a dig 100 yards apart, there's some age to them but i know nothing about them at all, i think the one on the right is 4th Irish guards 18th century, the writing is in Latin. many thanks Brian.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread