Found a Very Rare Military Button! NEW INFO ADDED 11 Aug 10

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many Revolutionary War buttons over the years, some of which are quite rare. I never thought my rarest button find yet would be from the War of 1812, but it appears as though that's the case.

When I dug this button I had been finding nothing but bottle caps and pull tabs from people camping and fishing. The hunt was not going well at all. Then, right by a picnic table I get a nice hit but it was very shallow. I expected a modern target, but at 3 inches or so I pulled this button out. When I first found it it was CAKED with dirt and looked to have nothing on the front at all. The back of the button was quite visible however, and when I saw the gold gilt and the backmark I knew I better take a closer look at the front. Usually I wait until I get home, but I had to know what this button was. I picked off a hard piece of dirt from the front and was stunned when I saw what was on the button. Not knowing U.S. buttons very well, I was confused as to what I had. I clearly saw 'United States Artillery' on the face, and a stack of 6 cannon balls. I knew based on the button design it was quite old, but not Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 made sense as there was a lot of activity during the conflict in that area. However, I had never seen a U.S. artillery button from the War of 1812 with this design. I figured it must date slightly before or after the war as I knew the backmark was a fairly old and good one.

When I got home I looked it up in Alberts book and was pleasantly surprised to see a RV of 100, which seemed to me to be quite rare in comparison to most buttons. The book seems to suggest at the time of printing the example in the photograph was the only known example. I have scoured the internet and all of my reference books, but can't find another example anywhere. I was told the example in the book is in the Smithsonian, although I can't confirm that. There is a note in Alberts under the button which points to the 'National Button Bulletin, May 1962' for more info on the particular example in the book. I don't have it, and can't find it. Any chance one of you owns this issue?? I would love to know what it says!

I am left wondering if this button is numer 2 of 2 known. Can anyone provide any more info on the button or confirm how many are known to be out there??

What I know of the button, it is a United States Artillery, 2nd Regiment button. Made in 1808. I am also told (but again can't confirm) there were only about 300 made as Armitage made them as samples, but never received the contract.

As you can see in one of the pics, the button was still quite dirty (even after I removed some caked on dirt in the field) when I got it home. I knew there was some gilt under there and hit it with some aluminum jelly. Cleaned up quite nice. The front is nice, but the back blows me away!

Attachments

• Artillery.jpg
    Artillery.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5,415
  • artillery2.jpg
    artillery2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5,087
  • artilleryback.jpg
    artilleryback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,071
  • artillerydirty.jpg
    artillerydirty.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,035
Upvote 9
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a Very Rare Military Button!

CMDiamonddawg said:
:o What !! It seems that this button is one that doesn't turn up too often . I recall seeing one like yours , years ago in a treasure magazine . :icon_scratch: The cleaning is superb & I feel your find is extremely rare 8) 8) "another vote" Congrats Colonial dude ! :icon_pirat: CMD

If you can recall what magazine I would love to know about it. Thanks very much!!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
I noticed right under the cannons balls is the numbers 123 :dontknow: i dont know if anyone saw that Dd60

Nope, no numbers there

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I sure hope that this turns out to be as rare as the current indicators would lead all of us to beleive. Now matter what this is a fantastic find. I vote BANNER!!. HHHH

L

LandStar

I can see 123 too under the cannon balls...very faint...That has to be the best looking button I have seen dug in a long time

HH,

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Happy Harry said:
I sure hope that this turns out to be as rare as the current indicators would lead all of us to beleive. Now matter what this is a fantastic find. I vote BANNER!!. HHHH

I hope so too :laughing9: I will be sure to keep everyone posted with any information I get. I have lots of irons in the coals, so hopefully I hear something back soon.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I suggest you contact William Leigh at civilwarbuttons.com, he should be able to give you some good insight into your button. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but any buttons with rarity like that are likley to have been reproduced. I truly hope she is totally good, but contact an expert like William first. Bill

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sekypaleo said:
I suggest you contact William Leigh at civilwarbuttons.com, he should be able to give you some good insight into your button. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but any buttons with rarity like that are likley to have been reproduced. I truly hope she is totally good, but contact an expert like William first. Bill

its real.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sekypaleo said:

You may bring others following the post down, but not me. The button is real, and I am certainly not looking for anyone to give me their stamp of approval on it. I have dug enough buttons to know a real one. There is no denying there are plenty of reproduction buttons out there, but this isn't one of them.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
sekypaleo said:

its real.

Yep...and I'm not even an expert and I know that!

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice find :icon_thumleft:. Once in a Lifetime button. BANNER.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California

"The Second Artillery was, with the First, Third, and Fourth, organized by an Act of Congress dated March 21, 1821. Each regiment was to have one colonel, one lieutenant-colonel, one major, one supernumerary captain (for ordnance duty), one adjutant, one sergeant-major, and nine companies. Each company was to have a captain, two first lieutenants, two second lieutenants, and fifty-seven enlisted men. One company was to be designated and equipped as light artillery, but for many years it was such only in name. The list of organizations (given in

the Army Register) from which these regiments were formed is misleading, as some of the organizations mentioned had been out of existence for years. The four regiments were formed from the Corps of Artillery, the Regiment of Light Artillery, and the Ordnance, the Second being taken mainly from the Corps of Artillery. All ordnance duty was to be done by the artillery. There was a second regiment of artillery during the War of 1812, of which Winfield Scott was lieutenant-colonel and then colonel. After the war it was merged into the Corps of Artillery. The names of battles of that war are borne on the regimental colors to-day, a few of the officers of

the new Second had belonged to the old, and some of the companies may have belonged to both regiments, a fact I am unable to establish ; but as a whole the Second Artillery of 1812 was a different organization from the Second Artillery of 1821."

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That thing is in unbelievable condition!

There's no doubt about it - Jeff, its time to add to the banner! :icon_thumright: :headbang: :hello2:

U

umrgolf

sekypaleo said:

His computer must not have loaded the pics ::)

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tapoutking said:
Not sure if you've found this but some more info.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/R&H/R&H-2Art.htm

Yes I did find that link thanks! That where I found the info on G company being based out of Plattsburg, NY. That being said I think that refers to the 2nd regiment of 1821, and not 1812. The 2nd regiment of the 1812 period would be the regiment associated with this button. \

Thanks for trying.

That is really the only reference I could find about the regiment itself. Other than some info on a hat plate identical to this style of button.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a Very Rare Military Button! (UPDATED with new INFO)

Well I sent off an email to a gentleman who is certainly in the know. I didn't quite get as many details as I had hoped, but there is some promising info here as it seems there are not many out there after all. Here is what he had to say

" This button is extremely rare and I have seen just one other example which I sold to an individual now deceased. It is not pictured in my book since another individual was planning to publish a work on Federal / War of 1812 buttons (but never did). I would value it at about $2000.00.....(left out some personal comments not related to buttons by this gentleman).........................................................................Take care, and thanks for writing. Regards, Warren Tice"

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still trying to get more details on how many were made and will hopefully be able to add that info to this post soon. I find the idea that this button is 1 of 300 made by a gentleman who did not receive the contract very interesting. Again, that is merely what someone told me at this point but I hope to confirm this.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
Wow :o :o :o Alberts says RV100?? If so, without a doubt extremely rare.. Ive never seen one. :o banner vote :o
:icon_thumright: BANNER FOSHO!!!!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

some more good news on the research front. I contact the National Button Society and received a reply from the president. She will be sending me the article on the button in the next week or so! :headbang: A very nice lady to help me out.

Hopefully this article will give me some more clues and info.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations on the rare find. Can't wait to see the info from the NBS. I'll be following this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread