Found a Very Rare Military Button! NEW INFO ADDED 11 Aug 10

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many Revolutionary War buttons over the years, some of which are quite rare. I never thought my rarest button find yet would be from the War of 1812, but it appears as though that's the case.

When I dug this button I had been finding nothing but bottle caps and pull tabs from people camping and fishing. The hunt was not going well at all. Then, right by a picnic table I get a nice hit but it was very shallow. I expected a modern target, but at 3 inches or so I pulled this button out. When I first found it it was CAKED with dirt and looked to have nothing on the front at all. The back of the button was quite visible however, and when I saw the gold gilt and the backmark I knew I better take a closer look at the front. Usually I wait until I get home, but I had to know what this button was. I picked off a hard piece of dirt from the front and was stunned when I saw what was on the button. Not knowing U.S. buttons very well, I was confused as to what I had. I clearly saw 'United States Artillery' on the face, and a stack of 6 cannon balls. I knew based on the button design it was quite old, but not Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 made sense as there was a lot of activity during the conflict in that area. However, I had never seen a U.S. artillery button from the War of 1812 with this design. I figured it must date slightly before or after the war as I knew the backmark was a fairly old and good one.

When I got home I looked it up in Alberts book and was pleasantly surprised to see a RV of 100, which seemed to me to be quite rare in comparison to most buttons. The book seems to suggest at the time of printing the example in the photograph was the only known example. I have scoured the internet and all of my reference books, but can't find another example anywhere. I was told the example in the book is in the Smithsonian, although I can't confirm that. There is a note in Alberts under the button which points to the 'National Button Bulletin, May 1962' for more info on the particular example in the book. I don't have it, and can't find it. Any chance one of you owns this issue?? I would love to know what it says!

I am left wondering if this button is numer 2 of 2 known. Can anyone provide any more info on the button or confirm how many are known to be out there??

What I know of the button, it is a United States Artillery, 2nd Regiment button. Made in 1808. I am also told (but again can't confirm) there were only about 300 made as Armitage made them as samples, but never received the contract.

As you can see in one of the pics, the button was still quite dirty (even after I removed some caked on dirt in the field) when I got it home. I knew there was some gilt under there and hit it with some aluminum jelly. Cleaned up quite nice. The front is nice, but the back blows me away!

Attachments

• Artillery.jpg
    Artillery.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5,415
  • artillery2.jpg
    artillery2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5,087
  • artilleryback.jpg
    artilleryback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,071
  • artillerydirty.jpg
    artillerydirty.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,035
Upvote 9

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a Very Rare Military Button! (UPDATED with new INFO)

I think if there were numbers under the cannonballs Wess would be the one to see them...after all, the button is in his hands...he's not looking at it on a computer monitor...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have my Banner vote. That is a superb button in top notch condition. Even without the shank, it will be a high-dollar find. I also want to congratulate you on the cleaning methods as well. Again--Top Notch.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

Awesome Button!! :o :headbang:

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
I think if there were numbers under the cannonballs Wess would be the one to see them...after all, the button is in his hands...he's not looking at it on a computer monitor...

Thanks Romeo. I would like to think so. I guess some folks want to convince themselves it's there LOL If it is, I don't see it...

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
You have my Banner vote. That is a superb button in top notch condition. Even without the shank, it will be a high-dollar find. I also want to congratulate you on the cleaning methods as well. Again--Top Notch.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks very much. Although Mr. Tice put a value of about $2000 on the button, finding a buyer at that price would likely be a different story.

I feel very fortunate to have found a button like this, and it must frustrate the hell out of some of you guys in the U.S. I guess this is indication they are out there though, with a lot of luck and a little skill.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ColonialDude said:
BuckleBoy said:

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks very much. Although Mr. Tice put a value of about $2000 on the button, finding a buyer at that price would likely be a different story.

I feel very fortunate to have found a button like this, and it must frustrate the hell out of some of you guys in the U.S. I guess this is indication they are out there though, with a lot of luck and a little skill.

It doesn't frustrate me. Actually, it's great to know that they're out there waiting to be dug. :icon_pirat:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got my vote for banner. A button this rare has got to be up on top. Congrats to you. :hello2: :headbang:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wess, I'm guessing the price is nice to know, but has less of a relevance to the history/details :wink:

The closest I came to a cracking button (& you know I have many), & one of my favourite survivors was this one :icon_thumright: Hope you don't mind me showing you on your post but I thought you would appreciate it.

In all the excitement, I forgot to vote, I will now :notworthy:

Attachments

• Both sides of 43rd.jpg
    Both sides of 43rd.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,561
  • button & Arzila coin.jpg
    button & Arzila coin.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,568
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Wess, I'm guessing the price is nice to know, but has less of a relevance to the history/details :wink:

The closest I came to a cracking button (& you know I have many), & one of my favourite survivors was this one :icon_thumright: Hope you don't mind me showing you on your post but I thought you would appreciate it.

Wow! Beautiful button my friend! I would take that 43rd any day of the week! You do find some great buttons for sure.

The Arzila coin is interesting. I am assuming it does not refer to the ship (as that would mean the coin is post 1870 which it is certainly not) but instead to the fortified town on the coast of Morocco. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ColonialDude said:
CRUSADER said:

Wow! Beautiful button my friend! I would take that 43rd any day of the week! You do find some great buttons for sure.

The Arzila coin is interesting. I am assuming it does not refer to the ship (as that would mean the coin is post 1870 which it is certainly not) but instead to the fortified town on the coast of Morocco. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comments, I didn't want to come across as stealing your thunder (not that its even in the same league) but I thought you missed it & would like to see, its thought to be one of the best known examples.
Yes it is the Ship, the reverse is a British Halfpenny dated 1910, see my post for that day (Dad found it). Cool piece of social history, if only we knew why it was done, I'm assuming a crew member or Captain...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,317728.0.html

I got one of my most iconic pictures from this field (Henry VIII):
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,320451.0.html

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO BEST!!!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Thanks for the comments, I didn't want to come across as stealing your thunder (not that its even in the same league) but I thought you missed it & would like to see, its thought to be one of the best known examples.
Yes it is the Ship, the reverse is a British Halfpenny dated 1910, see my post for that day (Dad found it). Cool piece of social history, if only we knew why it was done, I'm assuming a crew member or Captain...
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,317728.0.html

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO BEST!!!

Wow, that was a productive day! Both were by the looks of it. I have to admit, the coin had me fooled. The patina made it appear much older, as did the hand which did the carving. Very cool.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Wow! Outstanding button!!! Just... outstanding!!

MB

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Will all the updated information I just read I placed my banner vote...congratulations on the rare button.

(Annie is a very nice lady...see NJ is not so bad.)

NJ

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banner Bump :icon_queen:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding find. I wish it were going into my display case !!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you very much for your comments and votes for the banner, but it looks like this one is not going to make it.

I am not sure how people normally update posts, or what the preferred method is by members here, but I was thinking about my updates today and wondering if I should simply be adding new info to my original post as I get it, or with a post like this on the bottom?

Bry

Aug 8, 2006
Southern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do a new post,your getting harder to find , but i keep rechecking

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

Congratulations on your fantastic find :headbang: I'm sorry I don't know more about the button :-\ but from what the outhers have said, it's a dream find :notworthy:....Oh yea BANNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :headbang:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions