Found a Very Rare Military Button! NEW INFO ADDED 11 Aug 10

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many Revolutionary War buttons over the years, some of which are quite rare. I never thought my rarest button find yet would be from the War of 1812, but it appears as though that's the case.

When I dug this button I had been finding nothing but bottle caps and pull tabs from people camping and fishing. The hunt was not going well at all. Then, right by a picnic table I get a nice hit but it was very shallow. I expected a modern target, but at 3 inches or so I pulled this button out. When I first found it it was CAKED with dirt and looked to have nothing on the front at all. The back of the button was quite visible however, and when I saw the gold gilt and the backmark I knew I better take a closer look at the front. Usually I wait until I get home, but I had to know what this button was. I picked off a hard piece of dirt from the front and was stunned when I saw what was on the button. Not knowing U.S. buttons very well, I was confused as to what I had. I clearly saw 'United States Artillery' on the face, and a stack of 6 cannon balls. I knew based on the button design it was quite old, but not Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 made sense as there was a lot of activity during the conflict in that area. However, I had never seen a U.S. artillery button from the War of 1812 with this design. I figured it must date slightly before or after the war as I knew the backmark was a fairly old and good one.

When I got home I looked it up in Alberts book and was pleasantly surprised to see a RV of 100, which seemed to me to be quite rare in comparison to most buttons. The book seems to suggest at the time of printing the example in the photograph was the only known example. I have scoured the internet and all of my reference books, but can't find another example anywhere. I was told the example in the book is in the Smithsonian, although I can't confirm that. There is a note in Alberts under the button which points to the 'National Button Bulletin, May 1962' for more info on the particular example in the book. I don't have it, and can't find it. Any chance one of you owns this issue?? I would love to know what it says!

I am left wondering if this button is numer 2 of 2 known. Can anyone provide any more info on the button or confirm how many are known to be out there??

What I know of the button, it is a United States Artillery, 2nd Regiment button. Made in 1808. I am also told (but again can't confirm) there were only about 300 made as Armitage made them as samples, but never received the contract.

As you can see in one of the pics, the button was still quite dirty (even after I removed some caked on dirt in the field) when I got it home. I knew there was some gilt under there and hit it with some aluminum jelly. Cleaned up quite nice. The front is nice, but the back blows me away!

Attachments

• Artillery.jpg
    Artillery.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5,415
  • artillery2.jpg
    artillery2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5,087
  • artilleryback.jpg
    artilleryback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,071
  • artillerydirty.jpg
    artillerydirty.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,035
Upvote 9

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Found a Very Rare Military Button!

That button is fantastic. Now I will have to follow this thread to see what other info comes up. Congrats.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

Super dig C.D. I don't have my books with me as I am in Spain. Someone will chime in and know what is what. Congrats again.

Les

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one of the nicest buttons I have ever seen. I'll vote banner on this one. :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice button for sure :icon_thumleft: not much about that one online but this might help its not the exact same button Dd60

During the 1790's many coastal towns in Great Britain formed volunteer militias to protect the motherland from attack from Napoleon's army.
This excavated coatee button (18mm) is made of brass and is a 1 piece high convex type and dates c.1790's-1815.
The device shows 3 cannonballs above three cannons inside a shield and the writing along the perimeter states: "CHATm & GILm VOLUNTEER ARTILLERY" (most likely the Chatham & Gillingham artillery).
The most informative book on the topic of English Artillery uniform buttons is "BADGES & INSIGNIA OF THE ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY by Litchfield and he shows approx. 162 different varieties of English artillery uniform buttons throughout their existence. Just an exceptional reference guide on such, he doesn't show or list this example which is a very rare unlisted type.
Condition: this is dug with a lot of surface pourosity but most of the lettering can be read and it still retains its shank on back.
If you collect War of 1812 era military buttons or specifically English Artillery buttons, then here is a very rare button you probably won't see again soon.

Make sure you check out our other WAR OF 1812 BUTTONS in our ebay store by clicking the EAGLE ANTIQUES logo above then click the "BUTTONS: British military" or "BUTTONS: War of 1812" category on left hand side.

Attachments

• britartilleryz2.jpg
    britartilleryz2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5,189
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
Nice button for sure :icon_thumleft: not much about that one online but this might help its not the exact same button Dd60

During the 1790's many coastal towns in Great Britain formed volunteer militias to protect the motherland from attack from Napoleon's army.
This excavated coatee button (18mm) is made of brass and is a 1 piece high convex type and dates c.1790's-1815.
The device shows 3 cannonballs above three cannons inside a shield and the writing along the perimeter states: "CHATm & GILm VOLUNTEER ARTILLERY" (most likely the Chatham & Gillingham artillery).

I'm lost. The button is American.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet button :headbang: Was that found in the US or north of the border? Very cool.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

meangene21 said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet button :headbang: Was that found in the US or north of the border? Very cool.

North of the Border :)

Still trying to figure out the exact circumstances as to how it got there. I am hoping to find reference to the 2nd regiment in the area. I do know there was a company based out of Plattsburg, NY which is only about 80 kms away from where the button was found.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

ColonialDude said:
Deepdiger60 said:

I'm lost. The button is American.
It seems to be pretty much an advertisement for his Ebay auctions... :dontknow:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Great button. I hope it is the rare one you are hoping for. I will be watching for an update.
Dman

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

SWEET BUTTON!! Love the gilding left, the back is really loaded. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good luck on the ID of the button.
It's a BANNER BUTTON!

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro

thats a nice button here in vt. i only find tombac and dandys not much military finds

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj said:
SWEET BUTTON!! Love the gilding left, the back is really loaded. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good luck on the ID of the button.
It's a BANNER BUTTON!

Thanks. I have an ID. I know what the button is, I am just hoping to get more info. Specifically I am wondering how rare it is exactly...how many are known to be in collections. I am also wondering if the button is in fact 1 of only 300 made. I am very interested to know what the National Button Bulletin has to say about this button as well and I am hoping to get my hands on a copy, or find someone who has a copy and can provide me with the info.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find! Should be on the banner. Keep us updated with your research.

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

SWEEET!!!!! Nice button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread